amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 5th SWFE Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm was pretty much over around 8:15am here. Received about 3.5" in a 3 hour period so not bad, but the dryslot definitely hurt the chances for 5-6". Congrats to those up near the Pike

and CT. I'm also happy for NNE, I'm heading to Attitash this weekend and the snow conditions should be pristine.

KTAN took it on the chin in southern and southeastern zones again but was good elsewhere.   We really only seem to have two types of events as of late...3-4" or 10-15"...can't get into that middle column.

Question.. Why is there like pixie dust mixed in with sleet about 50/50? It's clearly snow but also a lot of sleet too. Is it due to lack of lift?

The BL around 900mb is cooling to like -6C or -7C which is marginal for snow growth but yet at around 750-800mb you are above freezing. So any precip from low level lift is probably forming pixie dust/crappy flakes while higher up it is melting and then refreezing into sleet pellets.

KTAN took it on the chin in southern and southeastern zones again but was good elsewhere. We really only seem to have two types of events as of late...3-4" or 10-15"...can't get into that middle column.

This storm was definitely out of the 07/08 playbook here. Although I did worse today than some events that year. It was definitely that dry slot that made it underperform.

Archived