• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

Mag good maps! Seem pretty reasonable. Will be interesting to see what the totals tally is up around the Pa/Ny border.

Hopefully things will turn out okay with it. All kinds of moving parts and factors with this storm. Speed of the storm could knock off the top end of that 8-14 range. Either way, I think you and wsptwx should be in pretty good shape for the most part and at least get warning criteria verified snow wise. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here they are. Ice map includes a highlighted area where there is the best potential for a sizeable amount of sleet. If that comes to fruition it could affect snow totals on my map in that particular area. Sleet could cut things down east of that as well if warm air aloft intrudes more. Portrayed a slightly colder bias with my maps.

attachicon.gifSlide1.png

attachicon.gifSlide1.png

Hope your right on the first and wrong on the 2nd :snowing:

Correct. 

I was thinking more like 1 maybe 2 worst case... there just wont be the wind to go with it

I agree with djr.  Due to lack of wind, which currently is forecast to remain below 15mph, it would be hard to exceed level 2.  And that is somewhat promising.  BUT, here's the caveat:  That chart does not take into account the uniqueness of the fact that all the trees/shrubs are currently covered in that snow/ice mix.  We are starting off the event already with trees weighed down, albeit not terribly much, except for possibly the large evergreens which really accumulated the snow yesterday.  With that in advance of the storm's arrival I would tend to think that the severity number on that damage scale might be a little higher than it would otherwise indicate.

I can say the worst zr event I ever experienced was in NE Texas at the millenium. We had about 1" - 1.25" ice and if you know that area you know it's all heavy pine forests and no utilities are under ground due to the clay soil and oil / gas lines that run everywhere (no basements either). We lost power for 11 days and the only way we got it back was my dad and I literally bribed a SWEPCO crew with hundreds of dollars and free food to come to our out-of-the way neighborhood instead of calling it a day.

To get that rate, it drizzled for about a day at 29 degrees. The next week we saw 2" of nothing but sleet. It was insane the damage it caused - I wish I still had the photos. Think Paducah from a few years' back in a more rural / isolated scale.

A lot of areas (including mine) have underground utilities which might help.

But if a substation gets fried it doesn't matter. The Station at near Donegal High School  has a high rate of failure unless they upgraded recently. That effects Mt Joy and Marietta. I think Maytown is ok when that goes out. May be on the Elizabethtown grid.

But if a substation gets fried it doesn't matter. The Station at near Donegal High School has a high rate of failure unless they upgraded recently. That effects Mt Joy and Marietta. I think Maytown is ok when that goes out. May be on the Elizabethtown grid.

I have classes with a PPL substation technician, I'll get his thoughts tonight.

But if a substation gets fried it doesn't matter. The Station at near Donegal High School has a high rate of failure unless they upgraded recently. That effects Mt Joy and Marietta. I think Maytown is ok when that goes out. May be on the Elizabethtown grid.

Do you think Millersville University might be able to keep power?

just got back from checking my golf course in Fairfield (southwest Adams County).  the front nine is full of white pines which still have tons of snow on them.  many have branches weighted to the ground.  some branches were already snapped off just from the snow alone.  looks like alot more cleanup on the way unless we can stay ip instead of zr down this way.

Archived