Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of snow on the wires and trees is discouraging to say the least. What I try to do is keep moving my car in and out of its spot 2-3 times an hour to pack down whatever fell around it and keep it somewhat warm so it doesn't get encrusted in ice. Of course if most of this falls overnight I won't be doing that at 3 am. But that helps in situations.

SYSTEM/LOW MOVING THROUGH THE TN/MS/OH VALLEYS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PREFERENCE:  NON-NAM COMPROMISE
CONFIDENCE:  AVERAGE

THE 12Z NAM STARTS OUT WEAKER AT THE 700 HPA LEVEL WITH THIS
SYSTEM.  IT APPEARS TO USE CONVECTIVE/GRIDSCALE FEEDBACK TO
STRENGTHEN THIS SYSTEM MORE THAN THE OTHER DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE
LATE TODAY AND TOMORROW, WHICH FORCES ITS SURFACE LOW ON A MORE
WESTERLY TRAJECTORY.  EVEN IF FEEDBACK WAS NOT INVOLVED HERE, THE
NAM OCCASIONALLY SHOWS A STRONG BIAS WITH SYSTEMS, WHICH SEEMS TO
BE DUE TO ITS WRF PHYSICS PACKAGE.  COORDINATION WITH THE WINTER
WEATHER DESK YIELDED ANOTHER ODD NAM-SPONSORED SHORTWAVE BEING
STRENGTHENED AS IT MOVES INTO DRY AIR UP THE APPALACHIANS, WHICH
ALSO LOOKS SUSPICIOUS.  A NON-NAM COMPROMISE IS ADVISED WITH
AVERAGE CONFIDENCE CONSIDERING THE SYSTEM'S PROGRESSIVE NATURE.

For what it's worth, the EURO and GFS are doing a much better job with the precip over AR/MS/TN right now than the NAM. In addition, the observed wind field looks to match the EURO/GFS surface pressure forecasts better than the NAM's at this point over the same region.

I think it's pretty safe to discount the NAM's solution based on those points... and the fact that the NAM is a terrible model. :P

****************ALEET ALEET***************************

DT's first guess is in. He's riding the NAM and says the best way to go in this situation is with the milder solutions. Says 3-6" for northern areas before sleet, with 1-3" south ending as ZR/RN.

LOL and that is why DT sucks. HPC said use anything but the NAM. 

RGEM continues it's warmer trend. Now more sleet than snow here in State College, per that model.

It's not just the RGEM, seems most guidance is bleeding in the wrong direction the last 24 hours after a few days of colder solutions.  I was worried about that honestly, seems models underplay CAD from long lead times, then correct once inside 72 hours or so, but then the last 24 hours the "north trend" can usually not be denied. 

It's not just the RGEM, seems most guidance is bleeding in the wrong direction the last 24 hours after a few days of colder solutions.  I was worried about that honestly, seems models underplay CAD from long lead times, then correct once inside 72 hours or so, but then the last 24 hours the "north trend" can usually not be denied. 

We'll see how things end up. Should still be a lot of frozen precip either way. :)

Actually, this will probably be the most sleet I've ever seen (by a long shot).

Lol well north guys our storm is quickly fading into a sleet fest.

I was more hopeful for you, and up there you still should get a good period of thump snows later tonight before mixing, but here just north of Harrisburg I always felt this was more of an ice then snow situation.  That is why I was a little perturbed a few days ago at the southern PA people saying relax you will get yours Wed.  Nothing is guaranteed and not sure why they were ever so optimistic for central PA.  I am glad I got into it yesterday, and I hope you do well tomorrow...I really feel your pain if this ends up further north. 

We'll see how things end up. Should still be a lot of frozen precip either way. :)

Actually, this will probably be the most sleet I've ever seen (by a long shot).

yes, one saving grace, as others have noted, is if the WAA precip comes in a strong enough, it could help keep the column cool a little longer.  Seen that many times.  The trend towards a stronger primary is not good though.

Archived