• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

Overall, the guidance seems to have shifted a bit warmer since yesterday, and puts State College squarely in the snow-to-sleet zone. The question is, will it be 95% snow 5% sleet, or 50% snow 50% sleet? :P

The foreign guidance (Euro/CMC/UKMET) is still cold enough for mainly snow, though the Euro did trend a bit warmer. I would still favor most of the precip being snow for us as it probably will fall mostly during the more intense period of lift. We'll see what the 12z suite says though. Hopefully it's not pounding sleet!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was so weird to not be able to see sunrise through the trees from my front window this morning with the snow on the trees blocking everything like they do in the middle of the summer

The link I am posting below has a 21 day free trial of their product if anyone wants to download it and view the dual pol data tonight to watch where the snow/sleet/rain/etc lines set up around the region... the product itself is expensive but I have used the trial before for potential mixing/ice events... http://www.grlevelx.com/gr2analyst/

I also use radar scope which has a nice CC dual pol radar option. It is pay app but maybe one of the best I could find for phone/tablet.

it was so weird to not be able to see sunrise through the trees from my front window this morning with the snow on the trees blocking everything like they do in the middle of the summer

The link I am posting below has a 21 day free trial of their product if anyone wants to download it and view the dual pol data tonight to watch where the snow/sleet/rain/etc lines set up around the region... the product itself is expensive but I have used the trial before for potential mixing/ice events... http://www.grlevelx.com/gr2analyst/

Great product. I have all of these. lol

The foreign guidance (Euro/CMC/UKMET) is still cold enough for mainly snow, though the Euro did trend a bit warmer. I would still favor most of the precip being snow for us as it probably will fall mostly during the more intense period of lift. We'll see what the 12z suite says though. Hopefully it's not pounding sleet!

If it's pounding sleet I'll be pounding a wall. :lol:

Their site is awful.

I noticed they have 4-8" for you. 

Their target audience seems to be dumb people. There, I said it. 

This just made burst out laughing..

where in gods name are these people like S&S, EPA Weather, HM (not our HM) getting these crazy snowfall numbers for the LSV? Everyone posting these insane/asinine snow maps!

Here's CTP's take for MDT

Tonight Snow before midnight, then snow and sleet between midnight and 4am, then freezing rain and sleet after 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 27. Calm wind becoming east around 6 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Wednesday Rain or freezing rain before 1pm, then a slight chance of rain between 1pm and 4pm. High near 34. Calm wind becoming northwest around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible.

I have a question for a red tagger or anyone in the know.

I am looking at the text output from the 12Z Nam for LNS and notice the temperatures are given in 50mb increments in the upper levels. What do you look for to deferentiate sleet from freezing rain? Obvoiusly snow would be below 0C through all levels down to 1000mb and rain would be above 0C through all levels down to 1000mb. What temperature profile creates sleet and what profile creates freezing rain. Thanks.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

1022 AM EST TUE FEB 4 2014

PAZ056-057-059-063>066-050130-

/O.EXT.KCTP.WS.W.0004.140205T0000Z-140205T2100Z/

PERRY-DAUPHIN-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...

LEBANON...CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER

1022 AM EST TUE FEB 4 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO

4 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...0.10 TO 0.25 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE TONIGHT AND CHANGE TO SLEET AND

FREEZING RAIN DURING THE PRE-DAWN AND EARLY MORNING HOURS ON

WEDNESDAY. A TRANSITION TO RAIN OR FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED BY

NOON WEDNESDAY. THE WINTRY PRECIPITATION WILL END BY WEDNESDAY

AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW/ICE COVERED

ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITY. SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION ON TREES

AND UTILITY LINES MAY CAUSE POWER OUTAGES. THE WEDNESDAY MORNING

COMMUTE WILL BE SEVERELY IMPACTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

DANGEROUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.

USE EXTREME CAUTION IF PLANNING TO TRAVEL. FOR THE LATEST WEATHER

INFORMATION...GO TO WEATHER.GOV/CTP OR STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER

RADIO.

REPORT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE

STATE COLLEGE BY SENDING AN EMAIL TO [email protected]...

POSTING TO THE NWS STATE COLLEGE FACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEET

@NWSSTATECOLLEGE WITH THE HASHTAG #CTPWX.

Archived