Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ping ping

PE_000-048_0000.gif

Holy crap that's like a 1" QPF bullseye. Probably would be 2-4 inches of sleet in the light green, yellow, and orange assuming 3-4:1 ratios. I've only personally seen one event in the late 90s that delivered that kind of sleet here. Can't remember exactly how much but at least a few inches and its really hard to deal with or drive in. Some roads that have steep embankments immediately adjacent had feet of sleet on them because the sleet would roll down. Some of those piles lasted halfway through April too haha. 

Holy crap that's like a 1" QPF bullseye. Probably would be 2-4 inches of sleet in the light green, yellow, and orange assuming 3-4:1 ratios. I've only personally seen one event in the late 90s that delivered that kind of sleet here. Can't remember exactly how much but at least a few inches and its really hard to deal with or drive in. Some roads that have steep embankments immediately adjacent had feet of sleet on them because the sleet would roll down. Some of those piles lasted halfway through April too haha.

Yikes. 2-3" of sleet on top of a few inches of snow...talk about high impact.

A few inches of snow and maybe a few inches of sleet sounds good for UNV. Sleet almost always moves in faster than modeled there, even sometimes 24 hours out.

Only when you were here. Two storms in 2004, the one in Dec 2009 and the one in Dec 2012 ended being snowier. That's off the top of my head and likely why ctp mentioned possibly being colder than modeled in their discussion. Have to see. Not sure why we got more snow in those cases; whether it was due to rates or what.

I think we have warmed too much here in York and Lancaster county and icing will not be as bad as thought (in my opinion).

Uh, the high for york is supposed to be 33 degrees. according to wunderground its only 26 right now. So how have we warmed too much here? Explain please.

:lol: Yes, I like it.

^^^ I'll go down with the ship too. 6 to 8" followed by light sleet is my final call for UNV.

Maybe I am naive, but sleet does NOT "always" happen here. December 2012 was a Miller B with 8.5" of snow, and December 2013 featured another Miller B with 6" of snow. Both major snows were followed by light sleet.

Looking at models now is just a fool's-game. Models are "always" wrong. Whatever is going to happen will happen, and it's all completely outside our control.

Archived