Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z RGEM and GFS both seemed to have ticked slightly colder.  Looking like a high impact event for the entire area.  Final call 4-7" UNV, snow/sleet concrete mixture.

Hope you guys to the south all keep power and stay safe!!!  Holding out on a slight chance of PSU canceling morning classes tomorrow  :weenie:

That's the big question now isn't it... Biggest problem in answering that is ice accretion vs. actual precip.

JT, idk if you've spoken to Eric very recently, but his main focus was the front end stuff will be crucial. Basically a little snow on the front end will make it so when FZRA comes in, it turns it into a more slush factor. If it starts out as sleet with no fluff on the bottom, then ice will make it more of a brick to ice skating rink. That's worse case scenario right there, which is something we may be facing. That's a concern for everyone in the southern tier basically. "Fun" times ahead. 925mb below freezing down to Va with 850's chilling in MD for now is pretty ugly

I'm gonna grab water for my dorm tonight. This could get ugly

Water shouldn't be a problem, if worse comes to worse just go grab some snow :lol: But, turn the heat up tonight until it's warm just in case power does go out. Anchor/Upper Deck has a huge backup generator just in case.

JT, idk if you've spoken to Eric very recently, but his main focus was the front end stuff will be crucial. Basically a little snow on the front end will make it so when FZRA comes in, it turns it into a more slush factor. If it starts out as sleet with no fluff on the bottom, then ice will make it more of a brick to ice skating rink. That's worse case scenario right there, which is something we may be facing. That's a concern for everyone in the southern tier basically. "Fun" times ahead. 925mb below freezing down to Va with 850's chilling in MD for now is pretty ugly

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not seeing any kind of promising signal for snow at onset. Sleet maybe, but snow will be difficult with that 750mb warm nose already in place. Wet Bulbing it out is possible but we'll see how that goes.

You're not the only one lol.

18Z RGEM and GFS both seemed to have ticked slightly colder.  Looking like a high impact event for the entire area.  Final call 4-7" UNV, snow/sleet concrete mixture.

Hope you guys to the south all keep power and stay safe!!!  Holding out on a slight chance of PSU canceling morning classes tomorrow  :weenie:

Water shouldn't be a problem, if worse comes to worse just go grab some snow :lol: But, turn the heat up tonight until it's warm just in case power does go out. Anchor/Upper Deck has a huge backup generator just in case.

I lol'd. No kidding. This stuff out there is like a brick. Shenks parking lot has cars all caked in. There's going to be a lot of cemented cars tomorrow

PPL doesn't do anything proactively, they just respond. That being said, classmate was told to pack an overnight bag for tomorrow's shift.

I've lived in many places and had lots of different electrical companies. PPL is in my opinion bar none the best at responding to outages. Talk to a Met-Ed customer and ask them what they think about their provider ...

They do prestage well, I've seen quite a few armada of trucks around getting ready today actually.

Quick question I have a new generator and was wondering any way to plug it in to mAke your furnace run. Thanks

If you're not sure at this moment, call an electrician. There's an easy way to do it, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone not familiar with electrical circuits due to the dangers involved, including fire and death.

I'm gonna grab water for my dorm tonight. This could get ugly

It won't.  Progressive systems such as this with marginal air masses don't produce big ice storms.  Doubtful any of the population centers get more than 0.25".  Power outages won't be a big deal either, as it should be just wires down and not major infrastructure damage like poles, substations and transformers.  And before people go and steam roll me for downplaying this event, chill out.  I've been on conference calls all day and the general thinking is that this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime, save-the-children ice storm.  Just a pain in the neck.

It won't. Progressive systems such as this with marginal air masses don't produce big ice storms. Doubtful any of the population centers get more than 0.25". Power outages won't be a big deal either, as it should be just wires down and not major infrastructure damage like poles, substations and transformers. And before people go and steam roll me for downplaying this event, chill out. I've been on conference calls all day and the general thinking is that this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime, save-the-children ice storm. Just a pain in the neck.

Can you provide evidence to support this claim? When is an inch of ice (which is on the models) not a crippling event?

It won't.  Progressive systems such as this with marginal air masses don't produce big ice storms.  Doubtful any of the population centers get more than 0.25".  Power outages won't be a big deal either, as it should be just wires down and not major infrastructure damage like poles, substations and transformers.  And before people go and steam roll me for downplaying this event, chill out.  I've been on conference calls all day and the general thinking is that this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime, save-the-children ice storm.  Just a pain in the neck.

:facepalm:  It is finally time for the ignore button. 

You're not the only one lol.

One of the walkers from War of the Worlds could rise out of the Old Main lawn and they'd still only go with maybe a delay. 

I've lived in many places and had lots of different electrical companies. PPL is in my opinion bar none the best at responding to outages. Talk to a Met-Ed customer and ask them what they think about their provider ...

They do prestage well, I've seen quite a few armada of trucks around getting ready today actually.

I have to agree with that. Most of my Department area include  PPL in  Marietta, East Donegal Twp up to Mt joy and including Maytown. Met Ed  had Conoy Twp to the north to the County line. I think that was their stepchild area in Lancaster Co. But even people I know I York Co with Med Ed had days of outage in the the last storms over the last couple of years.

The one thing I wondered about that may be a saving grace is if the rain is really heavy, it's hard to form ice. 

Archived