• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

Newest few HRRR runs really jump lancaster/S york's temps up around 10z. W Adams and Great valley stay in it.

I've noticed that as well. I also don't pay too much attention to HRRR after say 10 hrs of the run. I found out it fluctuates quite a bit after that time frame. Kind of loses it's muster. That being said, it is interesting to see that feature. Will have to see if it holds merit. That could help spare places like Lancaster over to Philly. Other than that, it is pretty dang cold the rest of the run. Lots of IP/ZR in the mix (no pun intended)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait what's the diff btwn point and click and grid forecast?

I go to wunderground or noaa and enter my zip. What's that called if not grid?!

Also a lot of trees are already close to snapping.

anyone correct me, grids or zone forecast was the original forecast issued before point and click.  NWS would always lump counties together example adams, york, lancaster, that had similar climates.  (kinda what you hear on weather radio) they still issue these along with point and click

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/forecasts.php

go here and scroll down to forecast county/city tab and all forecasts are listed there

Same for UNV area Jamie?

If true, great sign...

Yep. The HRRR has pushed the changeover back in State College, and has all the heaviest precip as plain snow. In fact, even the last frame at 13z it's still (barely) all snow, the mixing line just to the south. Precip over 0.75".

A lot of people get their forecast from the point and click forecasts. That's not good to have these discrepancies.

Agreed 100% Jamie.  For years I have suggested my parents use NWS for their weather forecast.  Tonight my Dad calls me and says, well the forecast is just for 2-4", doesn't sound too bad.  At the least it is totally incongruent with the Warning text.  I would call it unprofessional as well.  Nothing but respect for NWS mets but this is something that should be looked at as an area for improvement.

mcd0069.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0069 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 0712 PM CST TUE FEB 04 2014 AREAS AFFECTED...N-CNTRL AND NERN OH / W-CNTRL AND NWRN PA / FAR WRN NY CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW VALID 050112Z - 050715Z SUMMARY...HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES AROUND 1 INCH PER HOUR ARE FORECAST TO BEGIN WITHIN THE NEXT FEW HOURS OVER N-CNTRL OH AND SPREAD DOWNSTREAM ACROSS NERN OH AND AREAS IN NWRN PA AND FAR WRN NY. LOCALIZED SNOWFALL RATES MAY INTERMITTENTLY APPROACH 2 INCHES PER HOUR OVER NERN OH AND NWRN PA PRIOR TO 06Z. DISCUSSION...RADAR MOSAIC SHOWS A BROAD SWATH OF MODERATE TO HEAVY WINTER PRECIP OVER IN/OH/KY DEVELOPING NEWD ACROSS S-CNTRL OH EARLY THIS EVENING. THE 00Z/05 ILN RAOB DEPICTED A LARGELY SATURATED COLUMN WITH A H85 WARM NOSE /-0.5 DEG C/. THE RAPID NWD FLUX OF RELATIVELY HIGH MOISTURE CONTENT /PW 1.3 INCH BNA RAOB/ ADVECTING INTO THE UPPER OH VALLEY VIA A 75 KT LLJ WILL SUPPORT INCREASING/HEAVY PRECIP RATES ACROSS THE REGION TONIGHT AS ASCENT/WAA INCREASES. THE 18Z NAM APPEARED TO REASONABLY CAPTURE THE THERMAL STRUCTURE OF THE LOWER TROPOSPHERE OVER SWRN OH EARLY THIS EVENING COMPARED TO THE 00Z ILN RAOB. 18Z NAM MODEL SOUNDINGS INDICATE A CHANGEOVER FROM SNOW TO A MIXTURE OF SLEET/SNOW OVER CNTRL OH TOWARDS 04Z. OBSERVATIONS WITHIN THE PAST 30 MINUTES IN DAYTON AND CINCINNATI INDICATE A CHANGEOVER TO SLEET IS IN THE PROCESS OF OCCURRING--CONFIRMING THIS NOTION OF MIXED P-TYPE MOVING INTO SWRN OH. FARTHER N...A COLDER COLUMN WILL MAINTAIN SNOW AS THE PRECIP TYPE AND RATES WILL LIKELY INCREASE INTO THE 1.0 TO 1.5 INCH PER HOUR RANGE BY MID EVENING. SOME CONVECTIVE ENHANCEMENT MAY LOCALLY BOOST RATES TO NEAR 2 INCHES PER HOUR AROUND MIDNIGHT OVER NERN OH AND FAR NWRN PA. ..SMITH.. 02/05/2014

Archived