• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

Very little snow melted off the trees and power lines here in Hershey today, many front yards are littered with twigs and small branches. Any extra weight is going to cause some problems here. That's my concern as we sit at 26 degrees.

Agree 100%  Most of the pines and evergreens are stressed already. Add on tonight, not good.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are you calling me old? watch it lol     I'm prob close to your age

Zak's 24.  How old are you?

BTW, I've been meaning to compliment you on your amazing wx station setup.  Not many spotters have 10-meter towers in their back yard!  Also, is that a clear-vue rain gauge mounted on a post I see as well?

I dismiss the ice potential based on three criteria:

1.) Speed of the storm.  Progressive storms such as this rarely go as planned.  They are in and out in 10 - 14 hours.  Not much time for the precipitation to accumulate, or pile up.

2.)  Amount of warm air.  With each run, there has been an increase in the mid level warming south of Route 22, which in my experience, is crucial in identifying major ice events.  Take a look at the sounding for York, PA at 12z (07:00 local time).  The surface is *barely* below freezing and it's torching aloft.  In the mid 40s between 750 - 850 mb.

attachicon.gif1782138_791929384156618_858976162_n.jpg

3.) Precipitation rates. Ask JamieO about the success of freezing rain accreting when it's coming down at a steady rate.  Latent heat release will aid in warming surfaces temperatures and keeping major ice accretions from occurring.  I absolutely agree there will be slick roads and power outages, but long term power outages (which are considered more than 24 consecutive hours for a customer) will be scattered at best.  Believe it or not, I hope I am wrong.  I *want* a crippling ice storm, it excites me to see that.

Also for those wondering how to measure the weight of ice on power lines, check out this site.

http://powline.com/products.html

Powline.com has software which allows users to calculate the weigh of ice on electrical lines. 

Majority of PO's are from trees compromising lines, or trasnformer shortage

Zak's 24.  How old are you?

BTW, I've been meaning to compliment you on your amazing wx station setup.  Not many spotters have 10-meter towers in their back yard!  Also, is that a clear-vue rain gauge mounted on a post I see as well?

well thanks.  yeah that's exactly 10m / 33ft.  for the rain guage,( 4" cocarahs) that's a pt 2x6 I cut into a point at bottom and hammered in about a foot.  Works great.

I'm 32.  I thought Zak was a little older sporting that beard on his whitetail ski forecast  haha

Ah hell yes, this is from my professor of my 1:25 class...

Dear all,

given the winter storm advisory, I have decided to CANCEL CLASS TOMORROW (Wednesday the 5th) rather than have you traipse through sleet & snow. I will also not be holding office hours but feel free to e-mail me with any questions. Be safe and I will see you in class this Friday!

Come on PSU, cancel the AM classes and I have a free day tomorrow...

Archived