joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler? part II

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure the 18z GFS looked good enough for DCA at 12z as well with a good enough sounding for wet snow as well

yes for IAD and somewhat BWI, though surface was 33-34

Right...so remind me why people are abandoning ship before the life boats are lowered? 

I have been on board since the Titanic began sinking a few days ago... I am still on board for the GFS at the very least

We're always all in, right?  Now if I was inside the DC beltway or below the Fall Line, I'd be scaling my expectations appropriately, but I still feel fairly bullish for MBY and points north. 

We're always all in, right? Now if I was inside the DC beltway or below the Fall Line, I'd be scaling my expectations appropriately, but I still feel fairly bullish for MBY and points north.

From wunderground for Columbia....

"Heavy snow during the morning will taper off to light snow during the afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected."

How likely is this?? I'd be thrilled with half of that.

From wunderground...

"Heavy snow during the morning will taper off to light snow during the afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected."

They give me 3-5 and I live in the beltway. Extremely bullish, but I'm rooting for it for both of us. Good luck up north!

I think there's going to be a brutal gradient somewhere.  I hope I'm north of it.  I expect I'll be pretty close to it either way.  If we're north of the gradient, yeah, 5-8" looks pretty solid.  If we're on it or south of it, I'd say more like 1-2". 

thats interesting, the nws doesn't have a wsw, its an advisory for3-5, on FIOS

I think there's going to be a brutal gradient somewhere.  I hope I'm north of it.  I expect I'll be pretty close to it either way.  If we're north of the gradient, yeah, 5-8" looks pretty solid.  If we're on it or south of it, I'd say more like 1-2".

That seems to generally fall around the Columbia area. A lot of our snow removal sites are in laurel, while our office is in Clarksville. Often we have good accumulating snows in the Columbia/Clarksville area, while laurel and burtonsville has wet pavement or a slushy coating.

what part of columbia are you, I,m by the volunteer fd east of 29

That seems to generally fall around the Columbia area. A lot of our snow removal sites are in laurel, while our office is in Clarksville. Often we have good accumulating snows in the Columbia/Clarksville area, while laurel and burtonsville has wet pavement or a slushy coating.

Because Columbia and Clarksville have 200ft+ of elevation on Laurel and Burtonsville.  Fall line makes all the difference. 

what part of columbia are you, I,m by the volunteer fd east of 29

East.

So far in the 4 years I've been in Columbia, we've obviously had several of these really marginal temp situations.  Except for the couple October snowfalls we had, we haven't been shutout on any of them, although obviously folks farther north like Mapgirl are going to get a lot more than us.  I think someone pulls out double digits in northern MD/southern PA.

East.

So far in the 4 years I've been in Columbia, we've obviously had several of these really marginal temp situations.  Except for the couple October snowfalls we had, we haven't been shutout on any of them, although obviously folks farther north like Mapgirl are going to get a lot more than us.  I think someone pulls out double digits in northern MD/southern PA.

your right we haven't been shut out at all, We get snow since were both above the fall line. Balto can get rain and we will get snow. I have lived here for 25 years. Its interesting the FIOS weatherscan has us with a advisory for 3-5 in. starting at 5 am. 

Archived