e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing there is no fresh snow on the ground otherwise a ground blizzard would be raging. SW winds are really strong this evening!

MKX's take on the cold tomorrow night.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...FORECAST CONFIDENCE IS HIGH.

HIGH PRESSURE WILL SLIDE ACROSS THE AREA...WITH THE CENTER OF THE
HIGH PASSING OVER THE DUBUQUE AREA EARLY IN THE EVENING. BY 6AM
FRIDAY MORNING THE HIGH IS OVER ERN OH/WRN PA WITH THE LOW LEVEL
FLOW STARTING TO PICK UP ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA. THIS HAS BEEN
A TRICKY PERIOD WITH RESPECT TO LOW TEMPS DUE TO THE POTENTIAL FOR
STRONG RADIATIONAL COOLING. THE GFS HAS BEEN THE MOST AGGRESSIVE
OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS AND CONTINUES TO BE THE EXTREME.
WARM ADVECTION HEADING TOWARD THE AREA WILL CAUSE HIGH CLOUDS TO
SPREAD IN FROM THE WEST AFTER MIDNIGHT. JUST HOW COLD WE CAN GET
BEFORE THAT BLANKET ARRIVES IS THE BIGGEST QUESTION. THE GUIDANCE
IS NOW SUGGESTING THE COLDEST READINGS WILL BE ALONG AND JUST WEST
OF THE KETTLE MORAINE SPINE IN SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN. THE HILLS OUT
WEST OF MADISON MAY NOT TANK TOO LOW DUE TO THE EXPECTED CLOUDS
AND BREEZE KICKING IN. IN GENERAL...HAVE BACKED OFF A BIT ON WHAT
WE HAD GOING...BUT STILL WELL BELOW ZERO MOST PLACES. FAVORED
COLD SPOTS IN LOW AREAS COULD GET SURPRISINGLY COLD.

Predicted to be around 12° at midnight, so tomorrow might actually have a double digit high.

On February 25th 2014, Toledo officially received enough snow to make this the snowiest winter in history. 73.5" and still going which is on par with the average winter for Traverse City! What a glorious day for snow fans in NW Ohio

pretty amazing stats down there.  Epic winter for everyone!

I think Traverse City normal to date would be 87". They're at 124" currently.

On the way home from work, I stopped by my grandpas house where my mom was doing some work. Had to walk through the yard to get some stuff, through untouched snow, and I figured Id sink through a bit. But I didnt. mom loved it, had to take a pic, and I figured it was worth posting as it shows what an ice slab our snow really is....the depth in this pic is about a foot. Had my extra snow stick in my trunk (like a good weather observer does) so tried to show the depth, but you cant really see. Im 6'4" as it is, so I was nearly to the roof of my grandpas neighbors tiny house lol. Also snapped a sunset pic.

3945-800.jpg

3946-800.jpg

17º/3º at LAF today...solid departures of -25º/-22º.

I was checking records and I can't find any of the reporting sites around here having a March high temp below 10 degrees.  Of course we may get midnight highed and it's not quite March but still gives some idea of how cold tomorrow will be.

I was checking records and I can't find any of the reporting sites around here having a March high temp below 10 degrees.  Of course we may get midnight highed and it's not quite March but still gives some idea of how cold tomorrow will be.

Yep, impressive cold for tomorrow. Nice to cap off the end stages of met winter with some deep daily departures. Now if we only didn't have those couple of torch periods... :lol:

I just don't get those complaining about the cold/snow. people wanted an epic Winter and then they get one and b**ch about it. I already know who will be complaining about the heat after a week of upper 80's.

It's still Feb after all and some of you "Winter lovers" have been whining for 2 weeks or more.

I just don't get those complaining about the cold/snow. people wanted an epic Winter and then they get one and b**ch about it. I already know who will be complaining about the heat after a week of upper 80's.

It's still Feb after all and some of you "Winter lovers" have been whining for 2 weeks or more.

Loving every bit of this winter

No complaints from me. This has been, by far, the best winter of my LAF life. More cold and snow suits me just fine. :)

Loving every bit of this winter

I agree! We haven't seen a Winter like this in... EVER, and people keep wishing it away. It isn't going to be "warm" anytime soon so roll with it and enjoy making history. might as well go for all time at this point...

Loving all the extra snow and actually am refreshed from this week off. 

Talking about spring. Seen my first robin of the season today and a rainbow this evening  with no noticeable precip falling from the sky. In fact there was not many clouds in the sky and the temp was 15°F outside at the time. Took a photo but cant get it to load due to its size. Have a few to show but hate the process of reducing them.

Agree!

+1

The snow doesn't bother me, but the cold has gotten oppressive now. I have a cold limit.

Anyway, this isn't the banter thread.

Temp looks to hit around 14° soon with SW winds still howling.

Yep.

Archived