Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are 10 miles N of Traverse City on Old Mission and are at 164" for the season thus far. Maple City is only 15 WNW of TVC. An amazing winter forsure:)

Here is a list compiled from the following article 2 days ago, not sure where the data came from though so not sure i f its "official" totals.

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2014/02/michigans_snowfall_so_far_this.html

Delaware - 275.1"[/size]Mohawk - 271.5"[/size]Maple City - 223.3"[/size]Houghton - 198.7"[/size]Manistee County average - 191"[/size]Ontanogon - 158.9"[/size]Gaylord - 157"[/size]Petoskey - 149"[/size]Munising - 136.3"[/size]East Jordan - 131.3"[/size]Kalkaska - 126.9"[/size]Holland - 125.5"[/size]Traverse City - 123"[/size]Muskegon - 121.7"[/size]Charlevoix - 107"[/size]Kalamazoo - 104.5"[/size]Sault Saint Marie - 103"[/size]Grand Rapids - 102.9"[/size]Cadillac - 90.7"[/size]Ann Arbor - 80.8"[/size]Detroit - 78.5"[/size]Flint - 71.8"[/size]Jackson - 67.3"[/size]Harbor Beach - 62.2"[/size]Milford - 60.2"[/size]West Branch - 59.6"[/size]Owosso - 58.5"[/size]Lansing - 56.7"[/size]Tawas City - 55.7"[/size]Alpena - 53.5"[/size]Saginaw - 52"[/size]Bad Axe - 50.5"[/size]Houghton Lake - 50.5"[/size]Bay City - 50"[/size]Port Huron - 48.3"[/size]Midland - 45"[/size]Sandusky - 42.3"[/size]Caro - 41.4"[/size]

The measurement for Traverse City is taken at Munson Hospital ONCE a day. Doesn't take into account the settling of the fluff, hence, lower totals than nearby locales. The Grand Traverse Road Commission (about 3-4 miles away) has measured over 150" thus far..

I can't believe that in only 15 miles you can go from 230" in Maple City down to "only" 124" in Traverse City, although I am inclined to believe the TC number since I believe its coming from Munson and NWS. I know LES is very localized but 100" in 15 miles would be very impressive and incredible. Although comparing Gaylord to Houghton is pretty similar I suppose, but Traverse is considered in a Snowbelt especially the NNW flows. But we haven't had to many of those this year. There seems to be a un ordinary amount of WSW flows which would probably explain why may areas to my West have as well as my area or better compared to long term averages.

The Rowe is just a stone throw away across the lake from my house. I use its light to gauge how heavy it's snowing. I ate there Christmas Eve. It's good, but portions are too small for the price. Much better places are The Blue Pelican in Central Lake, and Grey Gables and Terry's in Charlevoix. Great food and atmosphere.

http://roweinn.com/

http://www.terrysofcharlevoix.com/

http://greygablesinn.com/

Thanks for the tips ... I will have to visit them in my return trips!!

Ha, you should have him come do mine next! Way to cold to be out snow blowing today, I asked my wife to do it shoulda seen the look she game me!

lol.... mine wouldn't start. I could have maybe drove through it but it was wind packed and dense. Hopefully we get the 3-4" tomorrow night or are you in the Spring boat at this point?

my tractor works fine usually. just the battery died. co-op a few miles from here is at 173". I'm not disciplined enough to keep track.... full time job...lol

I hear ya. When you get snow everyday it can be near impossible to keep track. My total is definitely a few inches off over the course of the year but I try to keep it as close as possible. Erie County has to have 50-60 stations throughout the county so its easy to compare and contrast totals here.

:D you know, Spring.... May-June.... June is not Summer up here.

I am seriously doubting we see much of a "summer" up here anyway :) 

Went to buy a roof snow rack last weekend should have known there wouldn't be any left in town. Had to order one online. First year in this home in the winter, I assumed the steep pitch would of kept the snow down, which it did, but the point where my garage roof and main pitch intersect has about 3' plus on it. Also little disapointed as I have quite a bit of ice jamming as well.

I am seriously doubting we see much of a "summer" up here anyway :) 

Went to buy a roof snow rack last weekend should have known there wouldn't be any left in town. Had to order one online. First year in this home in the winter, I assumed the steep pitch would of kept the snow down, which it did, but the point where my garage roof and main pitch intersect has about 3' plus on it. Also little disapointed as I have quite a bit of ice jamming as well.

I've raked my roof 3 times already this winter and spent all day sunday breaking up ice in two valley's on my roof. hard work when it's 10 degrees.

Archived