• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

I agree! We haven't seen a Winter like this in... EVER, and people keep wishing it away. It isn't going to be "warm" anytime soon so roll with it and enjoy making history. might as well go for all time at this point...

Better believe i am enjoying every moment of it. This is the winter i have waited for since moving here 10yrs ago.  I am all for smashing the record books and thus let it roll on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No the city itself only averages 75

haha wrong. nowhere from Benton Harbor north(on the lake) that averages as low as 75". :D

just wow!

"As of the end of today, February 26, the seasonal snowfall record for Maple City has been broken!

The old record of 231 inches has fallen, as we have now reached 232 inches at the NOWData site in the Leelanau County Road Commission Maple City yard."

I just don't get those complaining about the cold/snow. people wanted an epic Winter and then they get one and b**ch about it. I already know who will be complaining about the heat after a week of upper 80's.

It's still Feb after all and some of you "Winter lovers" have been whining for 2 weeks or more.

Awesome winter.

Just spent the last several days at Boyne.  Just awesome ski conditions!!!  Sunday & Tuesday had tons of powder skiing.  The other days there was plenty but not as much (I laugh because many years all you get is groomed).

Here are some pics for those to enjoy.

A ~12' drift between Elmira and Boyne:

post-9939-0-16576900-1393501348_thumb.jp

There were some massive ones between Boyne and Petoskey we saw them on the first day as we went in town to City Park restaurant.  I was going to get pictures but we never went back and as we had a ton of food around.  I wish I would have just done it there were some huge 15'+ drifts in a couple spots. 

2 Pics in Elmira:

post-9939-0-75517500-1393501391_thumb.jp

post-9939-0-50350300-1393501635_thumb.jp

My kids & I did not want to leave but looking how cold/windy it is going to be today we got out of there just at the right time!  :snowing:

Monster squalls ripping through. Mini blizzard...around 1.5"-2" this morning

post-298-0-67768300-1393504013.jpg

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

605 AM EST THU FEB 27 2014

MIZ054-055-060>063-068>070-075-076-082-083-271415-

TUSCOLA-SANILAC-SHIAWASSEE-GENESEE-LAPEER-ST. CLAIR-LIVINGSTON-

OAKLAND-MACOMB-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CARO...SANDUSKY...OWOSSO...FLINT...

LAPEER...PORT HURON...HOWELL...PONTIAC...WARREN...ANN ARBOR...

DETROIT...ADRIAN...MONROE

605 AM EST THU FEB 27 2014

...CAUTIOUS TRAVEL IS ADVISED FOR RAPID REDUCTIONS OF VISIBILITY

AND INTENSE SNOWFALL THIS MORNING...

WEATHER...

* SNOW SQUALLS WILL IMPACT SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN DURING THE

MORNING RUSH HOURS.

* WIDELY VARYING SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF UP

TO 1 INCH ARE EXPECTED IN AREAS IMPACTED BETWEEN 6 AM AND 8 AM

EST.

* SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 10 MPH.

* AIR TEMPERATURES WILL RANGE BETWEEN 10 AND 15 DEGREES.

IMPACTS...

* VISIBILITIES WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT TIMES DUE TO HEAVY SNOW

SQUALLS. RAPID FLUCTUATIONS OF VISIBILITY WILL OCCUR.

* ACCUMULATING SNOW MAY LEAD TO SLIPPERY ROADS PARTICULARLY ON

BRIDGES...EXIT RAMPS...AND OVERPASSES.

&&

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

* THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN

LOCALIZED WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. REDUCED VISIBILITIES ALONG

WITH SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY ROADS WILL CAUSE VARIABLE

TRAFFIC RATES THROUGHOUT THE COUNTY. MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO

USE CAUTION AND ACCOUNT FOR THE VARIABLE DRIVING CONDITIONS

BY ALLOWING EXTRA TIME.

Few interesting articles on the severity of our winter. This "misery" index says this is the harshest winter Detroiters have experienced in most of their lifetimes, stating its the harshest since 1950 (Im assuming thats when the index starts, as 1950 wasnt a harsh winter). Chicago, Indy, Moline, and philadelphia are in their 3rd harshest winter since 1950. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014302250117

This link shows the percentage of time the region has spent below freezing since December 1st.

http://blog.weathernationtv.com/2014/02/27/the-persistently-supernaturally-cold-winter-of-14/

An elderly patient at our pharmacy (90 yrs old) came in all bundled up the other day and said he has seen a lot of winters, and we havent had one like this in a "long...long...long....long time" lol.

Awesome winter.

Just spent the last several days at Boyne.  Just awesome ski conditions!!!  Sunday & Tuesday had tons of powder skiing.  The other days there was plenty but not as much (I laugh because many years all you get is groomed).

Here are some pics for those to enjoy.

A ~12' drift between Elmira and Boyne:

attachicon.gifDrift_1.jpg

There were some massive ones between Boyne and Petoskey we saw them on the first day as we went in town to City Park restaurant.  I was going to get pictures but we never went back and as we had a ton of food around.  I wish I would have just done it there were some huge 15'+ drifts in a couple spots. 

2 Pics in Elmira:

attachicon.gifElmira_1.jpg

attachicon.gifElmira_2.jpg

My kids & I did not want to leave but looking how cold/windy it is going to be today we got out of there just at the right time!  :snowing:

did you happen to go through Walloon Lake? They have 20' drifts all along the lake. Here in Ellsworth and other towns as well, they're removing snow with bulldozers and trucking it off.

It is truly remarkable. I've dreamed of a winter like this my whole adult life! 10' + of powder snow, unending cold, everything frozen, perfect:) Don't get me wrong. I love summer, as ours are about the best in the country IMO, but this current stuff is truly special...

17º/3º at LAF today...solid departures of -25º/-22º.

Loving all the extra snow and actually am refreshed from this week off. 

Talking about spring. Seen my first robin of the season today and a rainbow this evening  with no noticeable precip falling from the sky. In fact there was not many clouds in the sky and the temp was 15°F outside at the time. Took a photo but cant get it to load due to its size. Have a few to show but hate the process of reducing them.

That was a huge sundog. I've seen many is winter at dawn but its rarer to see one that vivid at sunset. It was beautiful, and after the sun went below the horizon it sent up this huge vertical beam of orange light as the last rays were cast through the atmosphere. It looked like a massive orange spotlight shining into the heavens.

Monster squalls ripping through. Mini blizzard...around 1.5"-2" this morning

post-298-0-67768300-1393504013.jpg

That was pretty awesome. As it went through my neighborhood at one point half the block was in a whiteout and the other half was barely snowing with a big wall of white 200 feet away.

did you happen to go through Walloon Lake? They have 20' drifts all along the lake. Here in Ellsworth and other towns as well, they're removing snow with bulldozers and trucking it off.

No .  Darn wish I would have!!

I noticed they are trucking snow around Petoskey too.  I think they are in some of Boyne parking lots.

So I saw several stickers about the restaurant in Ellsworth call "The Rowe".  Have you been there?  If so how is it?

I like going to various restaurants when on vacation.  We commonly go to the 'The Side Door Saloon' in Petoskey.  Great place especially kid friendly!! Decent prices too.

No .  Darn wish I would have!!

I noticed they are trucking snow around Petoskey too.  I think they are in some of Boyne parking lots.

So I saw several stickers about the restaurant in Ellsworth call "The Rowe".  Have you been there?  If so how is it?

I like going to various restaurants when on vacation.  We commonly go to the 'The Side Door Saloon' in Petoskey.  Great place especially kid friendly!! Decent prices too.

The Rowe is just a stone throw away across the lake from my house. I use its light to gauge how heavy it's snowing. I ate there Christmas Eve. It's good, but portions are too small for the price. Much better places are The Blue Pelican in Central Lake, and Grey Gables and Terry's in Charlevoix. Great food and atmosphere.

http://roweinn.com/

http://www.terrysofcharlevoix.com/

http://greygablesinn.com/

haha wrong. nowhere from Benton Harbor north(on the lake) that averages as low as 75". :D

just wow!

"As of the end of today, February 26, the seasonal snowfall record for Maple City has been broken!

The old record of 231 inches has fallen, as we have now reached 232 inches at the NOWData site in the Leelanau County Road Commission Maple City yard."

According to the NWS Traverse City Averages approximately 101.4" a year. Wow just noticed that Petosky passed my area for YTD snowfall, very impressive. I know there are a couple places in the leelanau peninsula over 220" and a couple places in the Western UP closing in on 300". 

image001.png

That was a huge sundog. I've seen many is winter at dawn but its rarer to see one that vivid at sunset. It was beautiful, and after the sun went below the horizon it sent up this huge vertical beam of orange light as the last rays were cast through the atmosphere. It looked like a massive orange spotlight shining into the heavens.

That was pretty awesome. As it went through my neighborhood at one point half the block was in a whiteout and the other half was barely snowing with a big wall of white 200 feet away.

Another interesting thing was the only clouds around seem to be the snow squall clouds. So when squalls pass you can see the thunderstorm sky look as the cold clear sky overhead shines.

Dmcs area has been killing it with LES the past several days. Just our run of the mill lake dustings here. Last year the W wind direction had ARB-DTW killing it. I probably saw 15-18" pure LES last year, which really helped the winter become an average one.

Our visib only got to like half mile today. Saw numerous near whiteouts earlier the winter. The one thing i will say today is that the snow showers blowing in the whistling wind and you can feel the cold when you go near the window...its insane to think March is 2 days away.

This was our best squall

3947-800.jpg

The NE events have been off Lake MI in WI and IL.  Normally those events are 'silently' in Alpena.  I say silently because we rarely hear about them.

Alpena has just had a string of bad Winters. Their average snowfall of 84" should speak for itself. In average Winters, you're right, they see lots on lake enhancements. They're just out of the way forgotten way up here.

According to the NWS Traverse City Averages approximately 101.4" a year. Wow just noticed that Petosky passed my area for YTD snowfall, very impressive. I know there are a couple places in the leelanau peninsula over 220" and a couple places in the Western UP closing in on 300". 

image001.png

You got any data for this? I have been trying to research the highest totals so far in the Great Lakes region and come up with a compiled list off of all the lakes. The Cocarahs network in Northern Michigan is rather sparse and Co-Ops only gives the last 2 month totals.

You got any data for this? I have been trying to research the highest totals so far in the Great Lakes region and come up with a compiled list off of all the lakes. The Cocarahs network in Northern Michigan is rather sparse and Co-Ops only gives the last 2 month totals.

you might try and contact this guy. I think he knows the observer there that measured the 232"

https://www.facebook.com/mich.patriot?hc_location=stream

Archived