Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit 33° this afternoon. Was warm enough so I washed the car off by hand, instead of going through the car wash.

Hand washing the car in temps in the low 30's? Come on, man. Nobody is buying that bunch of malarkey. 

Think it's time for you to start thinking about a permanent move to Florida or something.   

Congrats Springfield.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
120 PM CST SAT FEB 22 2014

...RECORD FEBRUARY WIND SPEED SET IN SPRINGFIELD ON THURSDAY
FEBRUARY 20...

THE STRONG WINDS THAT FOLLOWED THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ON THURSDAY
AFTERNOON...FEBRUARY 20...PRODUCED A WIND GUST OF 64 MPH OUT OF THE
SOUTHWEST AT 541 PM. THIS IS THE HIGHEST WIND GUST ON RECORD IN
SPRINGFIELD DURING THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY. THE OLD RECORD OF 63 MPH
WAS SET ON FEBRUARY 27 1948.

Hand washing the car in temps in the low 30's? Come on, man. Nobody is buying that bunch of malarkey. 

Think it's time for you to start thinking about a permanent move to Florida or something.   

Hey it wasn't windy where I washing it and the sun felt good. I didn't wash it with the hose or anything. Just a quick; rinse the salt off, type of wash with several buckets of water.

Lol, my neighbor in back of me was power washing his driveway this afternoon! Kinda crazy.

Down to 20° now, which isn't bad considering what we've gone through in the last 2 months.

Just enough water open on N lake MI to create nearly constant snow for the past 2 days.... nothing to write home about after the 10.5" Friday night/Saturday morning, but certainly keeps everything fresh and Wintry as it should be this time of year. As moisture rotates down from N of Lake Superior later today/tonight, could see 3-5" (locally higher?).... Once the artic air settles back in however, MI should slowly begin to freeze back up... oh so sad... :D

Hills around Ellsworth

MEX guidance has trended much colder for Wednesday, 5/-8, both the high and low would set records for the date. 

Is that the Mexico model?

Right now I have 11°/0° for Wednesday.

It will be interesting to see if guidance is too low. This morning was 2° above it.

Just enough water open on N lake MI to create nearly constant snow for the past 2 days.... nothing to write home about after the 10.5" Friday night/Saturday morning, but certainly keeps everything fresh and Wintry as it should be this time of year. As moisture rotates down from N of Lake Superior later today/tonight, could see 3-5" (locally higher?).... Once the artic air settles back in however, MI should slowly begin to freeze back up... oh so sad... :D

Hills around Ellsworth

attachicon.gifDSCF3475.JPG

Nice pic!

Is that the Mexico model?

Right now I have 11°/0° for Wednesday.

It will be interesting to see if guidance is too low. This morning was 2° above it.

MEX is mos output that is based off of the GFS.  MAV is also based off the GFS but is exclusively short-range (~3 days).

MEX is mos output that is based off of the GFS.  MAV is also based off the GFS but is exclusively short-range (~3 days).

Lol. I thought that was the most logical model it could be. Never heard of it... I don't think.

Well Wednesday will be the 80th straight day of snow cover here. 

Nothing beats the bluebird colored skies today.

Lol. I thought that was the most logical model it could be. Never heard of it... I don't think.

Well Wednesday will be the 80th straight day of snow cover here. 

Nothing beats the bluebird colored skies today.

bluebird blue skies here today as well. Temp has crept up to 31F, and while the snow hasnt really budged in residential areas, I notice a few puddles in road chemical infused snow on main roads. Today should be it though...arctic blast awaits.

persistent light snow all day has picked up over the past hour or so...around 2" so far today. I kinda expect an advisory to be issued with the afternoon package for a few counties as snow begins to increase in intensity tonight. has not stopped snowing since lake MI opened back up. after tonight may be approaching a seasonal depth height.

The kids and I have spent most of the day out on the snowmobiles, great weather for it down here in the thumb of Mi. Almost 40 miles total, not bad considering we never touched a groomed trail today. Sun sure feels nice also, days are getting longer, won't be to many weekends left down here with good snow cover.

bluebird blue skies here today as well. Temp has crept up to 31F, and while the snow hasnt really budged in residential areas, I notice a few puddles in road chemical infused snow on main roads. Today should be it though...arctic blast awaits.

Hit 31 here as well. Although I have seen lots of melting on non chemically treated surfaces. The sun is doing its thing. Snow depth IMBY ranges from just 2" in the southern exposure front (with blades of grass showing) to 6-8" in the shaded back yard. A far cry from the measured 19" just a week or so ago. 

Hit 31 here as well. Although I have seen lots of melting on non chemically treated surfaces. The sun is doing its thing. Snow depth IMBY ranges from just 2" in the southern exposure front (with blades of grass showing) to 6-8" in the shaded back yard. A far cry from the measured 19" just a week or so ago. 

I generally have between 5-8" of snow still here in my yard too. Like I've said before, borderline days are what do me in as far as snow depth goes a lot. That's why it was so rare to see the massive snow depth for so long.

Wow that sounds low for snow depth, but I suppose thats possible because of the highly variable snow depths around the region. It is very variable, but avg depth here is 12" (peaked at 21" Tues). Plenty of driftier spots in the shade still at 14-18". It would appear there was a lighter strip of depths in far northern Wayne/southern Oakland. Depth of 9" in Farmington, that would be the closest spotter to RO.

EDIT- With so much water packed snow, that had previously been drifted, you will get such variable depth measurments, often a result of station location or observer not taking enough measurments. I was browsing NWS coop and CoCorahs snow depths in the region and the variablity is crazy. For instance, in Livonia, two diff Cocorahs reported depths of 6" & 13"...with an obs west of Plymouth of 18". Several Ann Arbor observers report depth anywhere from 6" to 13". A Toledo obs reports a depth of 11" while the airport reports 0? The two Farmington obs are clustered a little tigher at 9" & 11".

Basically when you break down all the post-torch snow depth reports available from diff observers in SE MI, the range is huge. Lenawee county has reports ranging from 4-14"...Monroe 2-11"....Wayne 6-13"....Washtenaw 6-18"...Oakland 9-16"...Livingston 10" (only 1 report)...Macomb 10-12" (only 2 reports)...St Clair 5-13" (only 2 reports).

It sucks we have a good pattern for snow cover, but will have nothing but the crusty crap on the ground to keep around. 

Bo is probably the only one of the forum that has anything worth keeping around.

if we could just manage to get a healthy dusting it would do wonders to the snowpack. hoping it isnt a shutout all week.

As for here there is no need for any core samples.... Most of the snow is in the form of lakes covering the fields right now. Average depth is near 4" where the water is standing, other than that only areas which are white have a depth of about 2". Many spots are grass and dirt from all the radiant heat where the sun can hit some darker objects which are growing with every sunny day.

As for here there is no need for any core samples.... Most of the snow is in the form of lakes covering the fields right now. Average depth is near 4" where the water is standing, other than that only areas which are white have a depth of about 2". Many spots are grass and dirt from all the radiant heat where the sun can hit some darker objects which are growing with every sunny day.

Yeah you live in wayyyy open land lol. I imagine some of the drifts are hard packed madness right now?

Archived