joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why people are declaring RDU a bust when we're not finished yet. I still think 3" is doable and that would not be a bust at all (at least not for the NWS or WRAL -- the models, mostly yes).

The back-edge, while struggling to stay going is still struggling. With all the dry air around, and the tendency for the precip to be east of US-1, can you tell me how we're still supposed to get another inch or two out of this? Especially when it took 5 hours to get the first 1-1.5"?

Oh i thought most on here had been saying .5 qpf. Maybe we get to 3"....just need to double what we have in the next hour.

Not sure why people are declaring RDU a bust when we're not finished yet. I still think 3" is doable and that would not be a bust at all (at least not for the NWS or WRAL -- the models, mostly yes).

Boom.

The back-edge, while struggling to stay going is still struggling. With all the dry air around, and the tendency for the precip to be east of US-1, can you tell me how we're still supposed to get another inch or two out of this? Especially when it took 5 hours to get the first 1-1.5"?

Ended up with about 1.5 just south of Uptown. Roads were a mess earlier tonight driving home from a neighborhood bar. However, to my surprise, some of the main roads had been plowed (yes 1.5 inches were plowed), and it made a great deal of difference., The snow/crust was pretty much wiped away and wet roads were left. However, as we all know, this could cause major black issues. Either way, I don't think much of anything will be going on in the city tomorrow morning.

You know what I find interesting. The last 4 major snows(2+ inches) that have occurred in Atlanta have all had different setups. March 2009 was a strong cold core bowling ball ULL. Feb 2010 was a classic Miller A Gulf low system. Jan 2011 was a overrunning event. Now it seems to be an arctic frontal boundary event.

Take it for what it's worth, but the last few RAP runs do show radar beefening up a bit for central NC over the next 2-3 hours before this exits altogether. Radar shows the backend of the stream of precip filling in some which seems to back that idea up. Plus the flakes are a little bigger. Not saying we'll all hit 3" for sure but given all the above, I think it's entirely possible.

1/2" sleet and snow mix under a little over 3" of pure snow for an accumulation approaching 4".

1/2" of IP and an inch of fine powder on top so far, changed over about an hour ago. Wind whipped type, ratios should continue to improve, think you are in a good spot for 8", maybe 6 here, radar does look good for the next 4-6 hours, flake size on the up tick and vis slowly coming down.

my last obs of the night...

19, light snow. just had from 3-3:20 the biggest flakes of the night at a decent rate, but it's slowed down now and looks to be tapering off.

final measurements were 2.5" on driveway and roads

3.7 on car

3.5 in grass

4.0 on trash can lid

that trash can lid man that was the sweet spot lol

Archived