• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

im starting to think ratios will be over 15:1 at rdu for this storm just looking at a combo of several differnt sites.

How about PGV seems there is some concern about ratios here I have seen several folks suggesting 13-15:1 but I dont see it what am I missing or is 10:1 a good bet around here

Edit: I am at work so I cant really pull up a lot of stuff but where did you get that from in your other post with the ratios etc

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if anyone cares about the Hampton Roads area but we seem to be in the middle of the SE and MA regional threads. I'm going 7 in Newport News 9 in Hampton and 11 in VB. I do think that any bust will occur on the high side as the southern stream vort has trended east and the front has been slower to advance south than modeled. 

Thanks for the info...This sounds encouraging!

At first I thought you meant snowfall...

I'm getting nervous about the potential for a piedmont split, with banding in the foothills from the northern stream piece, and the big coastal low giving the coastal plain snow, and nothing in the middle. Thoughts?

nah i think this will be 99%overrunning event. not really dynamically driven where the coastal is supposed to bomb out.  think we're in good shape.

I don't know if anyone cares about the Hampton Roads area but we seem to be in the middle of the SE and MA regional threads. I'm going 7 in Newport News 9 in Hampton and 11 in VB. I do think that any bust will occur on the high side as the southern stream vort has trended east and the front has been slower to advance south than modeled. 

Thanks for the input.  I was just comparing models and you can definitely see just from the 18z runs the SSvort keeps getting more and more east, 12z runs was even more extreme...

18z GFS at hour 30

gfs_z500_vort_us_11.png

0z at hour 24

gfs_z500_vort_us_9.png

One thing of note: The RAP is much less bullish with 2m cold air than, say, the 0z NAM.

To wit, at 21z Tuesday, the 0z NAM has all of N.C., S.C. and Alabama (save for tiny area of SE Ala.),the northern 2/3 of Georgia and the extreme NW FL Panhandle BELOW freezing at 2m. The 3z RAP at 21z Tuesday has the southern third of S.C., almost all of Georgia and the southeastern third of Alabama ABOVE freezing. Hopefully, just something to write off to the out edges of the RAP's range.

Wral Fishel says the warming around Fayetteville tomorrow might produce more sleet zr there while driving higher snow amounts in the Triangle. Also updating their call chart at 11:15

ILM mentioned the warm nose earlier this evening, saying it was a bigger threat east of I-95. They noted it was the factor threatening a major ZR event down along the beach. It could be extrapolated to cause early sleet in FAY, given the afternoon start of things. 

Yeah the wave of low pressure is very weak.  The models are keying in on the overrunning which looks pretty good back to the Triangle.

nah i think this will be 99%overrunning event. not really dynamically driven where the coastal is supposed to bomb out.  think we're in good shape.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
1035 PM EST MON JAN 27 2014

.UPDATE...
OVERALL THINKING FOR THE EVENT STILL HOLDS...HOWEVER HAVE MADE
SOME CHANGES TO THE GRIDS THIS EVENING. HAVE WARMED UP TEMPS
ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST PART OF THE CWA FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE
EVENING AND THE OVERNIGHT LOWS. HAVE ALSO UPDATED THE HOURLY
TEMPERATURES FOR TUESDAY TO SLOW DOWN THE MENTION OF THE TEENS
ACROSS MOST OF NORTH GEORGIA UNTIL THE EVENING HOURS. WX GRIDS
HAVE ALSO BEEN ADJUSTED. REMOVED THE MENTION OF SLEET ACROSS THE
ATL METRO AREA...BASED ON SOUNDINGS SHOULD BE ALL SNOW IN THAT
AREA. ALSO TWEAKED SOUTHERN CWA WX GRIDS TO FOCUS MORE ON RAIN AND
FREEZING RAIN INITIALLY AS OPPOSED TO SLEET.

BROUGHT THE HIGHER SNOWFALL AMOUNTS SLIGHTLY FURTHER NORTH IN THE
AREA BETWEEN MCN AND ATL TO ACCOUNT FOR THE AREA THAT WILL REMAIN
IN SNOW FOR A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME. FOR THOSE THAT SEE SLEET
INITIALLY AND THEN A TRANSITION TO SNOW...THE SLEET WILL PLAY A
ROLE IN BRINGING DOWN POTENTIAL SNOWFALL TOTALS AS THE RATIO TO
LIQUID IS LOWER /MAYBE 2:1 OR 3:1/ AS OPPOSED TO SNOW /MAYBE 7:1
IN THIS SCENARIO/.

AGAIN THIS REMAINS A COMPLICATED WEATHER SITUATION. WITH MULTIPLE
PRECIP TYPES EXPECTED...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS AND ICE AMOUNTS WILL VARY
GREATLY ACROSS THE CWA. THERE APPEARS TO BE A SHARP GRADIENT ON
THE NORTH SIDE WHERE THE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL QUICKLY
DIMINISH...BUT ITS IMPOSSIBLE AT THIS POINT TO TELL EXACTLY WHERE
THAT GRADIENT WILL OCCUR.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

1035 PM EST MON JAN 27 2014

.UPDATE...

OVERALL THINKING FOR THE EVENT STILL HOLDS...HOWEVER HAVE MADE

SOME CHANGES TO THE GRIDS THIS EVENING. HAVE WARMED UP TEMPS

ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST PART OF THE CWA FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE

EVENING AND THE OVERNIGHT LOWS. HAVE ALSO UPDATED THE HOURLY

TEMPERATURES FOR TUESDAY TO SLOW DOWN THE MENTION OF THE TEENS

ACROSS MOST OF NORTH GEORGIA UNTIL THE EVENING HOURS. WX GRIDS

HAVE ALSO BEEN ADJUSTED. REMOVED THE MENTION OF SLEET ACROSS THE

ATL METRO AREA...BASED ON SOUNDINGS SHOULD BE ALL SNOW IN THAT

AREA. ALSO TWEAKED SOUTHERN CWA WX GRIDS TO FOCUS MORE ON RAIN AND

FREEZING RAIN INITIALLY AS OPPOSED TO SLEET.

BROUGHT THE HIGHER SNOWFALL AMOUNTS SLIGHTLY FURTHER NORTH IN THE

AREA BETWEEN MCN AND ATL TO ACCOUNT FOR THE AREA THAT WILL REMAIN

IN SNOW FOR A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME. FOR THOSE THAT SEE SLEET

INITIALLY AND THEN A TRANSITION TO SNOW...THE SLEET WILL PLAY A

ROLE IN BRINGING DOWN POTENTIAL SNOWFALL TOTALS AS THE RATIO TO

LIQUID IS LOWER /MAYBE 2:1 OR 3:1/ AS OPPOSED TO SNOW /MAYBE 7:1

IN THIS SCENARIO/.

AGAIN THIS REMAINS A COMPLICATED WEATHER SITUATION. WITH MULTIPLE

PRECIP TYPES EXPECTED...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS AND ICE AMOUNTS WILL VARY

GREATLY ACROSS THE CWA. THERE APPEARS TO BE A SHARP GRADIENT ON

THE NORTH SIDE WHERE THE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL QUICKLY

DIMINISH...BUT ITS IMPOSSIBLE AT THIS POINT TO TELL EXACTLY WHERE

THAT GRADIENT WILL OCCUR.

It baffled me as to why that was in the forecast grid for us anyway. I don't recall seeing a sounding over the past day that showed a snow/sleet mix. IDK maybe I overlooked it I guess.

1505568_592527574167021_699739318_n.jpg03z RAP at Hour 18 (4:00 p.m. tomorrow) looks very good for western NC. Many areas are under a nice band of snow, if the RAP is correct. The trends are once again in our favor for locations north and west of I-85. Someone will be surprised tomorrow with more snow than is forecasted.

1505568_592527574167021_699739318_n.jpg03z RAP at Hour 18 (4:00 p.m. tomorrow) looks very good for western NC. Many areas are under a nice band of snow, if the RAP is correct. The trends are once again in our favor for locations north and west of I-85. Someone will be surprised tomorrow with more snow than is forecasted.

That looks like a bomb waiting to explode, wasn't there a similar scenario in 03 (Jan. 22/23) that bombed out over the NC/SC Piedmont

The RAP's track of the low offshore the SE appears to be a little closer to the coast vs. other models. If so, and considering other trends, I'd be more optimistic that the ice-storm for CHS-SAV will be much less severe than previously thought. We'll see. I'm not yet forecasting that. I'm chicken lol. The climo favored track for winter storms in SAV-CHS is over central or southern FL, not the N FL pen. It is best if it goes offshore near Daytona or further south. This RAP run may be taking it about 50 miles north of Daytona.

That closer in track of the low is more climo favored for major ATL snowstorms by the way.

Archived