wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 25th snow

tmagan

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can't be lost is how well the NAM did with this last event.  Even when folks got frustrated towards the end that it shifted SE --- it was right.  That's what fringed far NW NJ and the Hudson Valley.  This looks to drop a decent snow to whiten things up for folks in the hills this go around. 

We've gotten fringed a LOT of times up here and I think it's cool.  You guys have gotten some great events from 2/8 last year (even the November event post Sandy) and we've still gotten snow for the most part.  Picked up about 5" or so of powder the other day, so 2-4" more would be just fine while we await the big one!

What can't be lost is how well the NAM did with this last event.  Even when folks got frustrated towards the end that it shifted SE --- it was right.  That's what fringed far NW NJ and the Hudson Valley.  This looks to drop a decent snow to whiten things up for folks in the hills this go around. 

We've gotten fringed a LOT of times up here and I think it's cool.  You guys have gotten some great events from 2/8 last year (even the November event post Sandy) and we've still gotten snow for the most part.  Picked up about 5" or so of powder the other day, so 2-4" more would be just fine while we await the big one!

2-4" is pushing it from an event like this. This is more like an inch, maybe two event.

2-4" is pushing it from an event like this. This is more like an inch, maybe two event.

2 - 4 IMHO is not pushing it - every flake will be accounted for since the ground is frozen solid with a snow cover  and temps have been in the single digits and teens - some areas will have some banding in snow squalls

2 - 4 IMHO is not pushing it - every flake will be accounted for since the ground is frozen solid with a snow cover  and temps have been in the single digits and teens - some areas will have some banding in snow squalls

agreed, espeically N and W.  The maps have been printing out 2-4" pockets, especially on the NAM (I know, I know...)

The fun part of this will be seeing it snow here on SSW winds gusting over 40 mph which is tough for us to historically

pull off. But the cold in place before the storm cuts will keep it cold enough for snow here.

That'll be crazy to see unfold. I wonder if ocean effect squalls can happen over Suffolk County?

Northshorewx posted the ocean effect snows this week back in 2005. It will be interesting to see if we

can get some enhancement. It  looks like the delta t's from 850 down to the ocean may be a few degrees

less this time around, but it still may be enough for some locally enhanced amounts. The 850's

should be around -8C on Saturday vs -11C in 2005.

http://www.northshorewx.com/oes20050119.asp

A recent NorthShoreWx article described a Long Island Sound effect snowfall on the north shore. Such snowfalls are relatively rare, but not unheard of. On Wednesday January 19, 2005 a highly unusual Ocean Effect Snowfall developed on a south wind

I really wouldn't expect much along the coast. But as said the fact it even snows at the coast is rare on this wind setup. The super cold ocean and by then frozen bays should stop any immediate south shore tourch I would normally expect in this setup

We're still getting 0.5" - 1.5" like everyone else. Even if we go above freezing, we have snow on the ground, it's going to stick.

Archived