• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 25th snow

tmagan

I theorize the low precip totals invariably reached out in that area are a direct result of a lack of dry land...too much water leads to too much stability...the same principal as to why t-storms weaken as they approach the coast...the collision of air and land leads to friction and instability...ingredients essential in the cloud making process.

i used to get so annoyed watching local news before a storm bc the forecasted totals were always so low compared to what i thought they should be given tbe synoptic setup. that was during the very busy winter of 04-05 and after a few storms i understood quickly why local mets would be conservative. over and over i would watch radar returns push into central and northern ct but then really struggle to get north of the ct/ma border until the lift was really strong. it was like loosing two to four hours of solid stratiform precip right off the bat and then once the storm really got going we were dependant on banding for bigger numbers which isnt guaranteed for everyone in coastals,etc.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we have to have a due north wind in coastals to keep at bay downsloping effects. i grew up in bristol ct and it was a much better snow spot. i left bristol in spring of 04 and since then they have had THREE storms put down two feet or better!!! in fact last feb blizzard gave my old part of town just over 30!!! never mind the countless events that put down three to six inches more there as oppossed to up here 35 or so mi to the ne. the more research i do really studying the KU books shows distinct mins here in almost every synoptic set up.

Archived