northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4500 kids stuck at a school near Atlanta. Ouch.

After Winter Storm Leon dumped as much as 3 inches of snow on metro Atlanta Tuesday, the city's school system struggled to get children home as buses slogged through traffic-choked streets and some schools gave up entirely on getting students home. By Tuesday night, students were still stranded in Cobb, Fulton, Cherokee, Barton Counties and Marietta City schools and officials expected many students to have to stay overnight. Across the Metro Atlanta area, parents were frustrated. 

:lmao:

4500 kids stuck at a school near Atlanta. Ouch.

I can't even imagine. Schools and businesses decided to simultaneously all let people go home early around noon today after it was too late. Snow seldomly happens as it is down there, but the cold temps that were in place for the snow (low-mid 20s) is something more to the tune of what we would see up here except they have a lack of resources to deal with it.  Tack on the fact that it's probably one of the worse cities in the country when it comes to rush hour traffic and you got yourselves a debacle. 

Even though they were on the edge of the storm and about as much on the fence as say, DC was... I still can't believe the city was this much caught off guard for a storm that has been advertised to impact the deep south for the last few days. 

Holy 0z GFS y'all.

Well that escalated quickly.. about on par with last nights Euro run. That's moderate to major snow for everyone in here, 850 line stays just below the mason dixon and goes right over Philly.  Note the smaller event Monday preceding the big storm that gets some snow into southern PA. This was a feature on that particular Euro run last night. 

I can't even imagine. Schools and businesses decided to simultaneously all let people go home early around noon today after it was too late. Snow seldomly happens as it is down there, but the cold temps that were in place for the snow (low-mid 20s) is something more to the tune of what we would see up here except they have a lack of resources to deal with it. Tack on the fact that it's probably one of the worse cities in the country when it comes to rush hour traffic and you got yourselves a debacle.

Even though they were on the edge of the storm and about as much on the fence as say, DC was... I still can't believe the city was this much caught off guard for a storm that has been advertised to impact the deep south for the last few days.

I lived in the northern suburbs up until college and some of the stuff I've been hearing is hard to believe...my dad had to abandon his car after running out of gas after 6 hours in traffic and walk home from work. Not a huge storm, but the timing and lack of media attention really made it into a big deal.

Monumental shift in the Euro lol. Way slower than other guidance and the storm MISSES all of PA to the south. DC gets a few inches..more of a VA event. I know this is way out in time but still... I don't know who you are anymore Euro.

I know it's still verifying better on a whole but in terms of practical stuff like storm track it's been a disaster. Gfs been beating it like a redheaded stepchild.

Some pretty interesting analogs showing up based on the day 8 forecast of the 00z Euro ensemble mean. Many had at least a moderate snowfall within a few days, with a few larger events mixed in as well.

MU's records:

19650321 - 3/20 3.5"

3/25 2"

19940222 - 2/23 6.5"

20070211 - 2/13-14 7.5"

19960104 - 1/7-8 30"

20090125 - 1/27 3"

20030306 - 1/6 1"

1/7 4.5"

19540330 - trace

19910106 - 1/7 2.8"

20020316 - 3/17 0.1"

20040106 - none

I'll take a Jan 7/8 1996 redux plz.

I had 7 this am at 630

next week "could" be interesting. GFS wats to give us a lil on Monday and Tuesday/Wednesday looks......i'll take it!

I dropped to 2 at the house right after the cloud cover cleared around 6am... could really feel the cold air sinking down the hillside... as soon as I got on 81 and crossed the bridge the temp jumped up to 9 in my car lol

Archived