• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

interesting that ensembles are so different from operational for both GFS and Euro... like I was thinking yesterday the models indeed want to change the pattern but just dont seem sure what to do... I wonder if the snow/cold over the southeast is throwing a kink into how it resolves storm tracks over the next few days

speaking of southeast... a friend of mine got to meet Cantore in South Carolina today and another who lives just north of Atlanta was sent home from work due to a dusting of snow

My 6 year old nephew in Houston was out of class today ... because it'll be in the upper 20s.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang Friday Saturday looks like a rain out. No biggie at least it won't be the Arctic anymore lol

I would bet that event will end up being ice -> rain at the worst for most of us.

And hey if it sets up a big snowstorm following then I'm all for it!!!  This has been a pathetic ski season in PA so far this year :(

I would bet that event will end up being ice -> rain at the worst for most of us.

And hey if it sets up a big snowstorm following then I'm all for it!!!  This has been a pathetic ski season in PA so far this year :(

How about it man!! I know we're not suppose to complain about the lack of snow but I love cross country skiing and we literally have no snow. And a lot of the big storms have missed the areas that can use it and dumped on I 95. Here's to snow before president's day for us skiers!

How about it man!! I know we're not suppose to complain about the lack of snow but I love cross country skiing and we literally have no snow. And a lot of the big storms have missed the areas that can use it and dumped on I 95. Here's to snow before president's day for us skiers!

I don't do it but some of my coworkers went cross country skiing Sunday. If you really want to go cross-country skiing, most of PA has a solid snow cover. Check out where the snow hole is :(

NWS State College posted this Sunday:

1625622_661790127205411_813962179_n.png

It's pretty accurate, we have about 4-5 or so on the ground.

I've been up at Blue Knob the last two Sundays and the first Sunday (Presidents Day weekend) was very icy up there after the Saturday crowd blew off the few inches of fresh powder that was on top of the hard base. This past Sunday was much better after getting probably 6" or so from the 1/21 event and several more inches from clipper fest. It was also pretty nice weather wise with the slowly rising temps that were occurring ahead of Monday mornings arctic front. Would def be nice to have that 2/5 event throw a fresh 10-15" on top.

Also, finally went back and added up all my smallish snowfalls of the past 10 days or so and i'm up to around 32.1" for the season. 

I've been up at Blue Knob the last two Sundays and the first Sunday (Presidents Day weekend) was very icy up there after the Saturday crowd blew off the few inches of fresh powder that was on top of the hard base. This past Sunday was much better after getting probably 6" or so from the 1/21 event and several more inches from clipper fest. It was also pretty nice weather wise with the slowly rising temps that were occurring ahead of Monday mornings arctic front. Would def be nice to have that 2/5 event throw a fresh 10-15" on top.

Also, finally went back and added up all my smallish snowfalls of the past 10 days or so and i'm up to around 32.1" for the season. 

32.4" here.

Euro ensembles never get the 850 0c above a line from HGR to LNS to TTN.  If anything it ticked south a bit.  Until I see either the GEFS or the EPS start to trend towards a cutter I am sticking with my belief that this is likely to be a weaker SLP that slides under PA and not a cutter. 

Given the pattern alignment this is one of these cases where we need the southern stream wave to stay unphased and just come out flat with all it's moisture.. which is certainly reasonable given this winters more progressive theme. Any more interaction/amplification is going to send it cutting with no blocking to be had in the north Atlantic and a southeast ridge lurking. There's still tons of time left with this too, the back and forth is likely going to be stopping hearts and restarting them all week long. It would probably be a mess in central PA even if the storm does end up cutting. There was still a pretty strong ice signal on both the operational Euro and GFS today.

What's going on this weekend mag?

Decent agreement on the system cutting west, but a pretty good chance of front end snow/ice transitioning to rain. Still something to keep an eye on. Shouldn't be a ton of precip associated with the system and it doesn't look to get overly warm before the front pushes through. 

Yea, Jamie I usually go down along the Susquehanna right below my house, perfect PPL access road that runs for miles. Sadly, nothing there to ski on. Oh well, when I 95 has flowers blooming, maybe we will get ours lol.

You should drive up to one of the parks. If you go on the state park site, you can actually find a state park that has snow close enough to you. They mention what conditions are like so you know what to expect.

Been watching the storm coverage on TWC, what a disaster in Atlanta. 1-3" of snow has completely gridlocked the entire city with people stuck in traffic for 7-8 hours so far. 

attachicon.gifGDOT-CAM-571.jpg

TWC is having an orgasm because they have snow and traffic in their hometown and they can now have Atlanta only coverage for the next 24 hours. 

Fresh facebook post from CTP, I will say the snow looks fairly solid in southeast PA attm. 

A 2-4 hour period of snow will fall near and to the south of a line from Gettysburg...to York..and Lancaster overnight...with a coating to 1 inch across this area. Up to 2 inches is possible right along the Maryland border. Please send us your reports of the light fluffy accumulation from this snow.

Archived