• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

I should have been more clear, i was speaking about our district when i said i don't remember them closing for cold in the 90s, i was not speaking in general, i do remember schools throughout the state closing because of cold, And honestly, i could be wrong ours  may have also but my memory says it was snow that closed us. I also remember the concern of power grid failure. They were asking for voluntary redcutions at businesses. At one point for almost 2 weeks, our shop didn't do any work. If guys even made it in, they were plowing and or shoveling our lots and our roofs. Like many places then we received structure damage from trusses breaking. Really crazy time to live through honestly. I would be on snow removal at work for 10 hours, then come home and help shovel roofs in our town. nuts!

No, every school in the state had to close due to the State of Emergency. 

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(-3.2) this morning at Walker.

The 0z ECM's depiction...that is the type of storm I have been missing...the classic hit-em-all PDII style.

Now watch it gradually become solely an I-95 snowstorm.

I still think we have to worry more about potential precip issues over missing to the south. 

All your precip are belong to us.

Man, I’m really thick today and seriously lacking in reading comprehension skills. Sorry, you're correct!

Yeah, man, it was crazy. My buddy worked for a real ******** who wouldn't let his employees go home (he worked for the state in Pittsburgh). Literally was told either he lets them go or he gets fired and arrested. 

My brother was up from Florida...He was in the Valley Forge area for the snow storm - 10"  Then he was up here for 4 days and the temp didn't break above freezing....He said I have had enough winter.Back down to Fl yesterday high of 77.

Goose egg for the low here this morning. Weather pattern looks exciting coming up. :popcorn:

Very very 1994-ish. 

1994 snowfall at MU:

February 1994

1          -           0.5

8-9       -           5.0

11        -           12.0

23        -           6.5

March 1994

2-3       -           6.0

9          -           1.0

18        -           2.5

http://www.atmos.millersville.edu/~wic/climo/snow1990s.htm

We don't want a repeat of the 2/11/94 event, at least up here.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

The month had 29.9" for February and two 10"+ events, even if they had ice. And the majority of the month with double-digit snowcover. Then a 28.4" of snow in early March. 

Not saying I'm expecting that, but it's still funny that in a month like that, you focus on an event that "only" gave us 4-5". If we get a February like that, who cares if one storm doesn't hit us. 

We don't want a repeat of the 2/11/94 event, at least up here.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

The month had 29.9" for February and two 10"+ events, even if they had ice. And the majority of the month with double-digit snowcover. Then a 28.4" of snow in early March. 

Not saying I'm expecting that, but it's still funny that in a month like that, you focus on an event that "only" gave us 4-5". If we get a February like that, who cares if one storm doesn't hit us. 

slap-noise-background-16813807.jpg

ECM ensemble mean in stark disagreement with the OP.

interesting that ensembles are so different from operational for both GFS and Euro... like I was thinking yesterday the models indeed want to change the pattern but just dont seem sure what to do... I wonder if the snow/cold over the southeast is throwing a kink into how it resolves storm tracks over the next few days

speaking of southeast... a friend of mine got to meet Cantore in South Carolina today and another who lives just north of Atlanta was sent home from work due to a dusting of snow

interesting that ensembles are so different from operational for both GFS and Euro... like I was thinking yesterday the models indeed want to change the pattern but just dont seem sure what to do... I wonder if the snow/cold over the southeast is throwing a kink into how it resolves storm tracks over the next few days

speaking of southeast... a friend of mine got to meet Cantore in South Carolina today and another who lives just north of Atlanta was sent home from work due to a dusting of snow

Relatives in Alabama are off school today. Posted pics on FB of them sledding.

It has more to do with how they are handling the amplitude of each wave.  The setup is fairly consistent, trough axis to our west but with pressing cold air to our north.  When the runs are more progressive and send the energy out either in peices or weaker it slides east under us.  If the models phase anything or amp it too much, its going to cut.  I am banking on a less amped solutions since that has been the trend all winter.  We have not really had many bombed out lows.  Less amped does not have to mean not a lot of precip since the gulf will be open for business and the STJ seems ready to speak up again.  We need a nice weak low, like PDII, that comes out in waves and slides east. 

Archived