northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, sorry if this is an inappropriate question, but where can I find a map that give me the current positioning of the low?  I'm out on Delmarva and hoping against hope that the best is yet to come (I'm stuck at about 1.5").  I see the precip coming up from Richmond and some digging taking place, but am curious about the positioning of the LP.  Thanks in advance.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/sfc/lrgnamsfcwbg.gif

high res from HPC (WPC)

48 hours ago I was expecting nothing. 24 hours ago I was getting suckered in (as usual) by the high-end estimates and thinking, why not 6-8"? I'm ending up around 4-4.5" unless that band to the NW expands a bit. I suppose I should be happy. It's pretty and I had fun sledding with my daughter. And tonight with the brutal cold and wind, ought to make for a nice stroll. I'm still letdown. Generally, I'm realistic about expectations -- some who know me might say, too rigorously realistic. But with snowstorms, I'm always thinking I can pick up that 7-10 split. 

What was it Einstein said?: -- Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results. Well (for me at least) this hobby is the inverse: expecting to realize my high-end hopes -- a different outcome, where I beat expectations and the forecast --- when, in fact, over and over again, the results are the same: falling short of the forecast and therefore, my expectations. (I was probably coming to terms by aligning my expectations with the reality of DC snow climo, but then 09-10 happened, which wasn't only like picking up the 7-10 split, but bowling it while blindfolded --- over and over again. So much, then, for Einstein; stick to e=mc2, dude.) 

But does this obsession, or rather the frustration engendered by this obsession -- and "obsession" really isn't the right word, perhaps "habit" would be better -- have any kind of material or psychological affect on me? Of course not. Sp that's why this is not a bad obsession to have. If I'm going to let my expectations off their leash, then snowstorms are a benign context for so doing. It's like letting your dog run wild in a fenced in dog park rather than, say, Shenandoah. 

Meanwhile, as I was writing all this confessional nonsense, the band seems to be encroaching. So maybe BSing on a weather board is the way to meet those expectations after all 

This band should last at least an hour, maybe even 2 hours, before moving through... nice! Rates have increased again in Navy Yard --- roads that were managed for most of the day by crews and some traffic have now become completely snow covered with the cold temps and rates.

Archived