northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As expected, the models have trended back to the northeast in the last day or so.  Once again I'm on the sw edge.  I think I'll be lucky to get 2 inches.  The latest RAP has it snowing here for only two hours between 11pm and 1am.  The clipper corridor, from Decorah to Dubuque, is going to get hit again.

The GFS is a little farther south, but it's alone.

If it's right, it certainly gets stronger as it passes east of here. Hopefully you guys get it good. :)

And on another note, brief shut down on I-65, just north of here this morning. Jack-knifed semi blocking the road...state police attend to it...and then another semi comes along and hits the cruiser. Thankfully, no injuries reported. But these a$$holes need to slow the hell down. It's getting old.  :axe:

Mhm I remember driving along the Ohio Turnpike on the way to work during major storms and those semis would be flying along. Definitely dangerous

Superior connected lake bands beefing up here... low visibility but pixie snow, as it's 9 degrees already.  Hasn't stopped snowing since yesterday morning. Suspect APX will extend the WWA that expires at 11, or issue a lake effect snow advisory.

couple impressive reports:

0700 AM     SNOW             4 NNW INTERLOCHEN       44.70N 85.78W
01/25/2014  M13.8 INCH       GRAND TRAVERSE     MI   COCORAHS

SNOWDEPTH 36 IN. SNOW DURATION 24 HOURS

0700 AM     SNOW             4 WNW WELLSTON          44.24N 86.02W
01/25/2014  M12.5 INCH       MANISTEE           MI   COCORAHS

SNOWDEPTH 28 IN. SNOW DURATION 24 HOURS

0700 AM     SNOW             1 NE CHARLEVOIX         45.33N 85.25W
01/25/2014  M9.3 INCH        CHARLEVOIX         MI   COCORAHS

SNOW DURATION 24 HOURS

First call for ORD: 3.7"

Good call.

I'll wide range my call for LAF: 1-4". All depends if we get arctic front love, because the morning stuff looks like it's going to skim us/be pretty brief. But if it does better than I expect, then the higher end of that range is in play.

Good call.

I'll wide range my call for LAF: 1-4". All depends if we get arctic front love, because the morning stuff looks like it's going to skim us/be pretty brief. But if it does better than I expect, then the higher end of that range is in play.

I agree with that. The models are very close for us tomorrow morning but it should come down about an inch an hour when it does. So it wouldn't take much time under the band to add up. Arctic squalls are looking more impressive on the models and we know what those are capable of. Its to bad that the timing is going to be overnight, but good news for rush hour Monday.

As of 10:30 had all the lots back to asphalt, just to be erased with the wall of artic front snow. Having a nap to return to the thick of things in a few hours. Drifting was intense around here. Snow has a brown hew from all the soil from the fields. Largest drift was 6' on the way back home. A exciting system considering the amount of snow which fell.

The N/S road to my place is nearly impassible. Ventured out for lunch and wasn't sure I'd make it through... didn't realize it was so bad or I would have stayed in. Saw a jeep fly into the ditch (was going way too fast) and saw another car in the ditch down the road. Visibility was nearly zero.

LAF was gusting to 47 mph last hour.

Somewhere around 2" is probably what we ended up. Tough measure as you said. Drifted all the over place. Been snowing decently at times for the past hour. With this snow, we're north of 30" for the month...which is unbelievable. :)

Still looks like we're riding the southern edge for tomorrow's snow, but we'll hope for the best. Hopefully we can squeeze out another 2".

That southern gradient makes me a bit nervous...would feel a lot better if we were 25-50 miles north.  Then again I would've called for 3-5" tomorrow if that were the case.  I think 2 or 3 is reasonable but any southward shift could result in slightly higher totals.

well over a foot now. intense snow for about 45 minutes.

current radar during that video

Just got home after spending a week up there at Boyne.  Just Awesome skiing!!  :ski:  

HORRID conditions coming driving home as I was basically followed a squall line all the way home!!!   Between West Branch and Flint there are many farm fields and there are some incredible 6'+ drifts just off the road in spots especially around the Midland exit area!

It was SWEET up there with the massive snow pack between Grayling, Gaylord, Boyne Falls and Petoskey.  That little town of Elmira is just buried!! :snowing:

It's different driving up there with over a foot of snow on the ground everywhere.  I am thankful to come home with well over a foot on the ground (~16-18").  Make coming home a lot less painful!

Great vacation! :snowwindow:

Just got home after spending a week up there at Boyne.  Just Awesome skiing!!  :ski:  

HORRID conditions coming driving home as I was basically followed a squall line all the way home!!!   Between West Branch and Flint there are many farm fields and there are some incredible 6'+ drifts just off the road in spots especially around the Midland exit area!

It was SWEET up there with the massive snow pack between Grayling, Gaylord, Boyne Falls and Petoskey.  That little town of Elmira is just buried!! :snowing:

It's different driving up there with over a foot of snow on the ground everywhere.  I am thankful to come home with well over a foot on the ground (~16-18").  Make coming home a lot less painful!

Great vacation! :snowwindow:

glad you had fun up here!  seems like you're in the are a lot.  I notice lots of downstater's come up on weekends.

I mentioned earlier, most areas west of 75( Elmira...lol) have 2 ft plus now.

Archived