• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

Tried to snag a bit of video of the blowing snow here. It gets worse a little further down the road, but I didn't feel like hopping the fence to get a better angle. Sorry, bit shaky too, had to zoom in quite a bit and the wind was buffeting me around.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost feel like I was in the eye of a hurricane. Heavy winds and snow all night..temps warming...bands of snow....THEN...the sun came out for a little this morning, the winds calmed...and THEN....BAM! Heavy band of snow with temps plummeting....clouds, wind, and snow showers building back in. What an exciting week of winter!

That southern gradient makes me a bit nervous...would feel a lot better if we were 25-50 miles north.  Then again I would've called for 3-5" tomorrow if that were the case.  I think 2 or 3 is reasonable but any southward shift could result in slightly higher totals.

Yep, riding the southern edge doesn't give me warm fuzzies....but, we'll hope for the best.

Tried to snag a bit of video of the blowing snow here. It gets worse a little further down the road, but I didn't feel like hopping the fence to get a better angle. Sorry, bit shaky too, had to zoom in quite a bit and the wind was buffeting me around.

Nice video. You're a brave man. Wicked out there today. Still gusting 40+ at LAF.

I'm gonna go more bullish with this system: 3.0" at ORD and 4.6" at MDW.

Just looking at text output, snow growth is going to be great with such saturation at 700mb and 850-925mb temps below -10 Celsius. With the recent uptick in qpf and combined with 20:1 ratios, I can see some isolated 6" lollies with this.

cool

Lake effect has gotten a lot heavier even tho the returns haven't too much... guess they are under represented in pixie snow and temps of 8.

would take some video of other things, but it isn't exactly safe to travel for recreation.

my shed is gonna be my "twin lakes snowman"  :lol:  :P 

[

Sweet! 

I hope your shed doesn't cave in from the weight of the snow.

---

1.3" was the total from last night. 46.6" season to date. 

Late in the evening a little freezing drizzle fell, which creating a cap on the snow. Blowing and drifting isn't really occurring because of it.

Sweet! 

I hope your shed doesn't cave in from the weight of the snow.

---

1.3" was the total from last night. 46.6" season to date. 

Late in the evening a little freezing drizzle fell, which creating a cap on the snow. Blowing and drifting isn't really occurring because of it.

I reinforced the roof with some 2x4"s in the fall when I got it.  it should hold up ok... fingers crossed!

glad you had fun up here!  seems like you're in the are a lot.  I notice lots of downstater's come up on weekends.

I mentioned earlier, most areas west of 75( Elmira...lol) have 2 ft plus now.

Already have my next trip planned in February back to the area!!  I am one who comes up during the week and goes home for the weekend.  I don't care for the weekend crowd though they were treated to so some great powered skiing today (windy/cold though).  We had the slops basically to ourselves Tues/Wed/Thurs ... then Friday we went to the indoor water park!

Love your videos ... just an awesome winter wonderland!!!

Took these pics this morning as the sun came out ahead of the front. Around 2" of snow estimated at the time. Only a dusting with the front here but WOW there is a whiteout going on right now with these cellular squalls.

Planning to go to Paradise this year?  They have got to be buried this year with all the North to Northwest wind events!!

Lake effect has gotten a lot heavier even tho the returns haven't too much... guess they are under represented in pixie snow and temps of 8.

would take some video of other things, but it isn't exactly safe to travel for recreation.

my shed is gonna be my "twin lakes snowman"  :lol:  :P 

Sick videos dude. Someone is stuck at home for the weekend! ^_^

Well unless you have a snowmobile... Speaking of winter weather sports, is there any place to ski in Michigan? I've been looking for new places to go boarding/skiing as my local place is getting quite boring since I go there so much.

Ball park figure what is your total for the year? 

this area in particular, due to sw enhancement of the clipper parade, has done better than Gaylord that is too far inland to benefit too much from the enhancements.  I'm around 130", Gaylord is at 123" and not updated today yet, but Petoskey is around 120" too.  The surprise winners this year will be Leelanau peninsula to Manistee.... same reason... sw flow clippers.  Even TC is nearing 100" already.

Sick videos dude. Someone is stuck at home for the weekend! ^_^

Well unless you have a snowmobile... Speaking of winter weather sports, is there any place to ski in Michigan? I've been looking for new places to go boarding/skiing as my local place is getting quite boring since I go there so much.

I was out earlier today... lots of drifted shut drives and seasonal roads but main roads aren't too too bad.  It's too cold to go riding, plus mine sleds are buried.

this area in particular, due to sw enhancement of the clipper parade, has done better than Gaylord that is too far inland to benefit too much from the enhancements.  I'm around 130", Gaylord is at 123" and not updated today yet, but Petoskey is around 120" too.  The surprise winners this year will be Leelanau peninsula to Manistee.... same reason... sw flow clippers.  Even TC is nearing 100" already.

I am getting closer to the 100 mark, thanks to the clippers and SW flow too.

Does anybody know if, and how, to post pictures with an IPad? I have tried, but it won't let me...I'm assuming because it is not a "saved" document.

Definitely concerned about going above freezing tomorrow.  It's possible we start snowing with temps in the single digits tomorrow morning and then go above freezing in the afternoon as the first burst moves out.  Can't say I recall seeing something like that since living here but it's on the table.

Definitely concerned about going above freezing tomorrow.  It's possible we start snowing with temps in the single digits tomorrow morning and then go above freezing in the afternoon as the first burst moves out.  Can't say I recall seeing something like that since living here but it's on the table.

That would be absolutely amazing.  Quick shot of fluff here today as the arctic front moved through with 30 mph + winds.  This has to be a season for some of the most memorable Alberta clippers that I can recall.

yea, euro is hellbent on sending mid to upper 30's here right before the front slams thru.  Hard to imagine we drop to single digits tonight with a fresh snowcover and manage to seesaw that dramatically in such a short time.   That being said, I've learned my lesson this winter not to assume the strangest solution can't occur.   I'm just hoping to pad the snow cover as much as we can this afternoon in case we have to sacrifice an inch or so lol.   

Above freezing is a lock. 12z MAV is aggressive, sending us up to 37º....IND up to 40º. MET is only 28º for LAF...but you can safely toss it in the garbage. Wild really, when you think about it.

Brutal winds out here...airport is sustained at 32 mph with gusts to 43 mph.  Peak gust of 46 mph in the past hour.

Just relentless. Power here at work flickered a few times earlier. Don't want to see anymore of that kind of stuff.

Above freezing is a lock. 12z MAV is aggressive, sending us up to 37º....IND up to 40º. MET is only 28º for LAF...but you can safely toss it in the garbage. Wild really, when you think about it.

Just relentless. Power here at work flickered a few times earlier. Don't want to see anymore of that kind of stuff.

I agree that MET looks too cold.  Hopefully MAV is too warm but I'm not sure. 

Saw some people on Chad's blog talking about power outages.

I agree that MET looks too cold.  Hopefully MAV is too warm but I'm not sure. 

Saw some people on Chad's blog talking about power outages.

I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 40º. Euro has looked the warmest all along, and it doesn't look like the 12z run relented on that a bit. Warmth really overachieved this morning, so I don't see why it wouldn't tomorrow for a time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 40º. Euro has looked the warmest all along, and it doesn't look like the 12z run relented on that a bit. Warmth really overachieved this morning, so I don't see why it wouldn't tomorrow for a time.

That's what has me concerned.  We didn't break freezing this morning but seeing what happened not too far west is unsettling.   

Most MOS/raw output has snow starting with temps in the mid to upper single digits.  Then temps probably go above freezing 7 or 8 hours later.  You've lived here a while...can you remember something like that?

That's what has me concerned.  We didn't break freezing this morning but seeing what happened not too far west is unsettling.   

Most MOS/raw output has snow starting with temps in the mid to upper single digits.  Then temps probably go above freezing 7 or 8 hours later.  You've lived here a while...can you remember something like that?

Nope, never have. 

Archived