• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

Actually they increased it 4" to 12". I had 5.9" fall from 8am-8am and increased my depth from 8 to 13". The wind constantly compacts how much snow falls so depth always lags behind, but in turn the depth is nore heavily packed powder as opposed to fluff. Theres no bigger joke than the grosse pointe spotter. Though they do have a little less than the ARB-DTW corridor, they call depth 4" :lol:. There isn't a single spot as low as 4" here in the most open areas. Itheliz reports 13" in Detroit which isn't too far from GPF and a lot more realistic.

While the 4" depth out of Grosse Pointe is probably way too low, I think that 13" is a little too bullish as well.

I haven't taken an official measurement, but I would estimate between 9-12".  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5.7" of snow at UofM yesterday (although the observer only increased snow depth 3", from 8" to 11" :P)

Actually they increased it 4" to 12". I had 5.9" fall from 8am-8am and increased my depth from 8 to 13". The wind constantly compacts how much snow falls so depth always lags behind, but in turn the depth is nore heavily packed powder as opposed to fluff. Theres no bigger joke than the grosse pointe spotter. Though they do have a little less than the ARB-DTW corridor, they call depth 4" :lol:. There isn't a single spot as low as 4" here in the most open areas. Itheliz reports 13" in Detroit which isn't too far from GPF and a lot more realistic.

Wait is the 4 to 12 your talking about for Grosse Pointe or UofM

Granted it's hard to measure now but there is no way anyone in Wayne county only has 4 inches of depth. Even the U of M Dearborn report seems more realistic with a depth of 8", I could believe that because there's a lot of open areas around there, but those two reporting sites seem to MASSIVELY lowball the snow amounts every time and I'm not sure why. If you look at the seasonal snowfall maps DTX puts out, a lot of the time it shows the actual city getting season totals that are like a half to two thirds lower than at DTW. There arent enough people living in Detroit anymore to make a urban heat island environment THAT strong.

Example, 2011-2012 was a horrible winter for snow lovers but there is absolutely no way that areas of the city and the east side to Grosse Pointe only got 8" of snow the entire winter.

And that giant hole always extends down to your area on the maps too which we both know for a fact isn't the truth.2011_2012.png

Granted it's hard to measure now but there is no way anyone in Wayne county only has 4 inches of depth. Even the U of M Dearborn report seems more realistic with a depth of 8", I could believe that because there's a lot of open areas around there, but those two reporting sites seem to MASSIVELY lowball the snow amounts every time and I'm not sure why. If you look at the seasonal snowfall maps DTX puts out, a lot of the time it shows the actual city getting season totals that are like a half to two thirds lower than at DTW. There arent enough people living in Detroit anymore to make a urban heat island environment THAT strong.

Example, 2011-2012 was a horrible winter for snow lovers but there is absolutely no way that areas of the city and the east side to Grosse Pointe only got 8" of snow the entire winter.

And that giant hole always extends down to your area on the maps too which we both know for a fact isn't the truth.2011_2012.png

You do NOT...I repeat...do NOT want to get me started on those spotters and these snowfall maps. :lol: They have been garbage year in and year out....fine....but dont use their totals on the map. I understand its the only numbers they have for near Detroit city, but its complete garbage and creates an unrealistic map..so why use it? If you look at the maps during our excellent winters they still have ridiculous lowballed numbers.

look at the thumbnails..every year has that unrealistic hole there due to their lowball and missing reports. the interns or whoever made the maps shouldve caught it lol

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/cms.php?n=seasonal_snow

You do NOT...I repeat...do NOT want to get me started on those spotters and these snowfall maps. :lol: They have been garbage year in and year out....fine....but dont use their totals on the map. I understand its the only numbers they have for near Detroit city, but its complete garbage and creates an unrealistic map..so why use it? If you look at the maps during our excellent winters they still have ridiculous lowballed numbers.

look at the thumbnails..every year has that unrealistic hole there due to their lowball and missing reports. the interns or whoever made the maps shouldve caught it lol

This map is ridiculous Oxford/Lake Orion 10-20" total yea ok :lol:

Snapped a few pics this morning. As much as I have been enjoying all the snow, havent had time to actually go out to a metropark. May do it Friday. Nature and deep powder!

3805-800.jpg

3806-800.jpg

3807-800.jpg

3808-800.jpg

3809-800.jpg

Great shots! How did you do overall. I finished up with 4" out of yesterday's system. A real over performer for my part of Toronto.

snow continues to stream in off the lake. I can't believe how it looks outside. more than waist high snow all around my entire house. Had to go dig out my satellite dish that's 4' high. I will never forget this Winter.

We have 12+ of very high water content snow, drifts up to 4 feet in spots. The snow analysis tool shows 2-4 inches of SWE.

It looks more like A grand rapids subdivision than Howell right now. Snow piles in the sub are higher than I have ever seen in the 5 years living here.

The spotter at Higgins Lake is the same way, he always post lowball numbers. I talked to the guys up at the NWS in Gaylord about him a few years back at one of there open houses. Before I even said the location they knew who I was talking about reporting low ball numbers.

snow continues to stream in off the lake. I can't believe how it looks outside. more than waist high snow all around my entire house. Had to go dig out my satellite dish that's 4' high. I will never forget this Winter.

Same with me, my kids just had there 6th snow/cold day today and are looking at number 7 tomorrow. All the snow is great but this super cold air could stop anytime now and I'll be happy.

Snow rollers everywhere here, even in places where there are lots of buidings and shopping centers, not just in open fields.   Did anyone else experience these?   I had only seen pics before this.   I'm sure they're much more common in open areas.  I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, some are amazingly big, like 2' tall by 3' wide.....have to have some decent winds to roll something like that.

Archived