joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-27th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

402 AM EST MON JAN 27 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0351 AM SNOW ROMULUS 42.22N 83.37W

01/27/2014 M3.5 INCH WAYNE MI TRAINED SPOTTER

6-HOUR SNOWFALL TOTAL AT DETROIT METRO AIRPORT

Added on 1.1" after 2AM which puts us at 37.9" for the month and only 0.5" away from the all time record.

I get 38.1"...so much snow this month now we have to put math into the equation! :lmao:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's rough here.....Id estimate 4-5" total overnight. winds and w/chill is the real story tho. driveway completely drifted shut (can't even tell where it is) for the 3rd time in 2 weeks.

I may just stayed snowed in today. I have moved so much snow lately.... can't believe I'm saying this but I need a break. :/

That 64 dBZ is from the wind farm SE of Buffalo, the max in the band is around 35dBZ.

Oh yeah totally forgot about that. Doh! This band is still much stronger than the one that hit Detroit judging from radar. Still wouldn't doubt 3-4 inch per hour rates were in the hardest hit portions of this band. Looks like Lake Erie isn't completely frozen over and added a bit of juice as the front went through.

Oh yeah totally forgot about that. Doh! This band is still much stronger than the one that hit Detroit judging from radar. Still wouldn't doubt 3-4 inch per hour rates were in the hardest hit portions of this band. Looks like Lake Erie isn't completely frozen over and added a bit of juice as the front went through.

Yeah I would say it is a touch stronger there, we were at around 30 dBZ when it plowed through here.

Sections of Lafayette going down with power outages now.  Terrible timing.

An old friend of mine is a Principal at a TSC school (and his wife is a teacher at the school that got hit by a tornado). Between the weather this year and their routine fog issues, that must be an incredibly high stress job.

Call me insane, but I hope we can get like 6" on Thursday-Friday, I believe that would be enough to break a normal yearly snowfall for Detroit in a calender month.

Given that we're talking a much stronger shortwave with the Thursday-Friday event along with lake enhancement like last night, it wouldn't surprise me either if that event overachieved. There's plenty of time for model QPF to increase, which is probably underdone.

As it stands right now, we're probably good for about 1-3". 

You are correct, the 0.2" fell between 4PM and 7PM yesterday, so 38.1" is correct.

Snow obs times for DTW are 12am, 7am, 1pm, 7pm, so sometimes at the 4pm prelim clim report, it doesnt include anything after 1pm. It just keeps snowing. It cant be said enough how ridiculous this winter has been. Often times, its very easy for me to just measure the snow then call it in during my 8am obs time, but there have been several times now this winter I have had to write things down because its simply been too hard to keep track in the old brain without worrying about missing something or doubling something. When looking at this mornings pns from area observers, we wont even know who got what with the arctic front because it includes two different snowfalls.

It is absolutely GORGEOUS this morning...probably one of the most scenic days of this historic winter. This is one of those days I dont mind the cobalt blue sky and sunshine. Just like earlier in the month, the deep powder reminds me of my treks to Paradise. Not quite as deep...but just the velvetty, sparkly, deep look. When I started shoveling I was thinking...wow did I lowball my 3.5" frontal snow? Easily shoveling a solid 4-4.5" in the top of the driveway...then I got to the sidewalk and saw plenty of 2" spots so I realized it was from yet another wind assault overnight. I didnt take any pics, Ive taken so many this winter, but Im sure I will when I go back out ;). I called depth 13" this morning, but some of the drifts are actually deeper than they were early in the month...Plenty of 1.5 to 3 foot drifts in a relatively enclosed suburban neighborhood. I imagine in the country they are working on 6 foot drifts. Most of the low spots in the wind tunnels are now a comfy 6-8".

It is absolutely GORGEOUS this morning...probably one of the most scenic days of this historic winter. This is one of those days I dont mind the cobalt blue sky and sunshine. Just like earlier in the month, the deep powder reminds me of my treks to Paradise. Not quite as deep...but just the velvetty, sparkly, deep look. When I started shoveling I was thinking...wow did I lowball my 3.5" frontal snow? Easily shoveling a solid 4-4.5" in the top of the driveway...then I got to the sidewalk and saw plenty of 2" spots so I realized it was from yet another wind assault overnight. I didnt take any pics, Ive taken so many this winter, but Im sure I will when I go back out ;). I called depth 13" this morning, but some of the drifts are actually deeper than they were early in the month...Plenty of 1.5 to 3 foot drifts in a relatively enclosed suburban neighborhood. I imagine in the country they are working on 6 foot drifts. Most of the low spots in the wind tunnels are now a comfy 6-8".

1/4 mile in pixie snow... I need of pic of this you describe!!

Nice Vids Bo, 

Looks pretty similar at my house, although I think you may have a couple more inches of snow depth over me especially since getting some of the SE enhancement for the past few days. Over the weekend wend sledding over near Starvation Lake area, there were plenty of off trail spots that were waist deep it was incredible. My house has some areas drifting well over 36". I will say that the constant snow blowing is getting old, bigger issue is the wind, trying to blow this pixie dust in 25-30 mph winds is next to impossible. Finally broke down and had my driveway plowed over the weekend but will need it again if this keeps up.

The wind was pretty awesome last night, and we got some good blowing snow at times, but I really didn't have to shovel too much this morning because we didn't get much snowfall over the weekend.

You guys out east really are getting clobbered this month.  Here at the west edge of the subforum I've only had 6.5 inches in January, and it took eight puny snow events to get that.

3ft of snow everywhere and just keeps coming. hazardous travel so of course I'm out in it :P

I can't match your totals, but it is getting pretty deep here in my part of the state also.  My depth ranges from a couple inches to over 5 feet.  We can't seem to get a snow without wind.  Looks amazing in your part of the state.

Nice Vids Bo, 

Looks pretty similar at my house, although I think you may have a couple more inches of snow depth over me especially since getting some of the SE enhancement for the past few days. Over the weekend wend sledding over near Starvation Lake area, there were plenty of off trail spots that were waist deep it was incredible. My house has some areas drifting well over 36". I will say that the constant snow blowing is getting old, bigger issue is the wind, trying to blow this pixie dust in 25-30 mph winds is next to impossible. Finally broke down and had my driveway plowed over the weekend but will need it again if this keeps up.

I'm having a blast,just gotta be careful is all..... enjoying Winter!!

average of 35-38"

a report 4 miles from me:

0700 AM SNOW 3 W ELLSWORTH 45.17N 85.30W

01/27/2014 M5.0 INCH ANTRIM MI COCORAHS

SNOWDEPTH 30 IN. SNOW DURATION 24 HOURS

5.7" of snow at UofM yesterday (although the observer only increased snow depth 3", from 8" to 11" :P)

Actually they increased it 4" to 12". I had 5.9" fall from 8am-8am and increased my depth from 8 to 13". The wind constantly compacts how much snow falls so depth always lags behind, but in turn the depth is nore heavily packed powder as opposed to fluff. Theres no bigger joke than the grosse pointe spotter. Though they do have a little less than the ARB-DTW corridor, they call depth 4" :lol:. There isn't a single spot as low as 4" here in the most open areas. Itheliz reports 13" in Detroit which isn't too far from GPF and a lot more realistic.

5.7" of snow at UofM yesterday (although the observer only increased snow depth 3", from 8" to 11" :P)

Actually they increased it 4" to 12". I had 5.9" fall from 8am-8am and increased my depth from 8 to 13". The wind constantly compacts how much snow falls so depth always lags behind, but in turn the depth is nore heavily packed powder as opposed to fluff. Theres no bigger joke than the grosse pointe spotter. Though they do have a little less than the ARB-DTW corridor, they call depth 4" :lol:. There isn't a single spot as low as 4" here in the most open areas. Itheliz reports 13" in Detroit which isn't too far from GPF and a lot more realistic.

I was getting 8" to 11" from the nowdata page... But I'm probably missing something. Now that I look at it there's some inconsistency between that and the regional climate summaries. You probably have a better idea what's going on there than I do

Archived