Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was relaxation was expected. The flattening PNA ridge has been well advertised, we never have had any meaningful blocking and still no sign of it, and the AO is headed positive for early Feb. The pattern is setting up to be a milder one for a time, and we will see what happens after that. My guess is Feb overall ends up normal, and we get some shots with an active ss. 

I'd say let's wait until the end of next week before we start with the despondency.  Models have been changing the medium range with just about every run.  I still have some faith in a rockin early Feb.

We really blow around in the wind a lot.  Weren't we just talking about an epic Feb a day or two ago?  I don't see any reason to abandon all hope…or really any hope of a solid respectable February.  

Day 10 progs not working out? Shocker.. 

Right?  People looking at day 10 stuff as gospel, regardless of what it says or how much agreement there is, is kind of ridiculous.  Until we get exascale computing, models past day 4-5 are always going to be subject to extreme variation and inaccuracy.

Right?  People looking at day 10 stuff as gospel, regardless of what it says or how much agreement there is, is kind of ridiculous.  Until we get exascale computing, models past day 4-5 are always going to be subject to extreme variation and inaccuracy.

Ensemble guidance has been pretty good this year at longer leads. Run to run is always bouncy but overall relaxations and reloads have been modeled pretty well in the d10-15 range. 

I like the late season stuff, but most people dont  care for it

It's cool if it's legit. The late Mar storm was neat last year.  I don't need 1/2" events in March though.  

Feb has truly been feast or famine here of late so it's a little frustrating seeing the pattern "fall apart."  That said, two "shovelable" snows in DC is way better than recent winters if for some reason we didn't get another. Another would make it pretty passable overall. 

What if this becomes the next March 2010? Remember when nearly every forecaster (don S, usedtobe, etc) expected a repeat of feb 2010?

Given that we've been getting regular dumps from the Arctic since November I have a hard time seeing March be a giant torch but we can hope. 

The EURO ensembles have been pretty consistent in showing positive 850 tempersture anomalies during the 1st week of FEB.

Initially this was a short period but has extended until nearly the end of it's forecast period. It has trended warmer too.

I think this is telling of our upcoming pattern and it's lack of favorability in our area.

Archived