• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

I could see the models come further west with the precip shield.  I mean 100 miles in one run isn't insignificant....Likely no dice, but it isn't like I have anything else going this week.  I am still going to look at the models.

The European ones are always the hottest. The short American ones never did it for me.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEFS looks good on the means. AOA for the from the 2nd-6th and solid below after through the end of the run. 

Yup, but it's a gradient pattern.  Our NE friends are probably as giddy as we are gloomy.  Big -WPO connecting into a probable -AO.  As long as we can keep that gradient pressing south, we can do well, but it's a borderline thing as we know.  

GEFS looks good on the means. AOA for the from the 2nd-6th and solid below after through the end of the run. 

Looks more like the 5th is the end of the warmup fwiw. If it verifies it will be just another 3-5 day warm spell in between.

It looks better than the EURO EPS. Some people hate the phrase "warm/wet, cold/dry" but this is pretty much the case on the GEFS.

Looks more like the 5th is the end of the warmup fwiw. If it verifies it will be just another 3-5 day warm spell in between.

isnt the 5th when the Feb 4-5 "snowstorm" is suppose to end:)?

Yup, but it's a gradient pattern.  Our NE friends are probably as giddy as we are gloomy.  Big -WPO connecting into a probable -AO.  As long as we can keep that gradient pressing south, we can do well, but it's a borderline thing as we know.  

I think the most significant piece of the look d11-16 is the ridging over socal. Centers the trough in the oh valley. We'll see. Who knows.

I could see the models come further west with the precip shield.  I mean 100 miles in one run isn't insignificant....Likely no dice, but it isn't like I have anything else going this week.  I am still going to look at the models.

to north for southern sliders....too south for Northern Stream Miller B's...too west for an out to sea coastal...too east for clippers(ok--that makes no sense but we are too something for clippers)

lol is it really? what about the 4th and the 5th

You don't want to know....

Big precip maker with huge snows in the midwest and a 1040+hp pushing down....but the heights in front spell trouble for us. It's a central IL destruction. 

Run isn't done yet but it's not going to work for us this time I dont think. 

You don't want to know....

Big precip maker with huge snows in the midwest and a 1040+hp pushing down....but the heights in front spell trouble for us. It's a central IL destruction. 

Run isn't done yet but it's not going to work for us this time I dont think. 

Euro takes it right overhead while the GFS takes it up over Pittsburgh.  I'd still watch it…all depends on how suppresive the PV over Eastern Canada will be.  

Euro takes it right overhead while the GFS takes it up over Pittsburgh.  I'd still watch it…all depends on how suppresive the PV over Eastern Canada will be.  

About half the eps members had snow solutions for us overnight. Some solid strikes too. Considering how close this run is it wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of members drop snow again. As it stands with the run we get clipped up front with an inch or 2. PA gets pummeled. Far from resolved for sure. We need to root for strong confluence. Verbatim it shows some pretty big hp pushing down from the N. 

A lot of things can make this work for us in some fashion. could be a nice front end to dryslot. could be a weaker wave that can't push as hard north. It's a good run. 

the models can't even decide what will happen mid week, why should we (and I don't mean anyone in particular) think that anything over the weekend and beyond is even close to being resolved

the models can't even decide what will happen mid week, why should we (and I don't mean anyone in particular) think that anything over the weekend and beyond is even close to being resolved

I want to be on the winning side as much as anyone but we're walking the line in this pattern. Can't do anything except watch it unfold. 

Euro is pretty cold across the conus by d9-10 too except for the far SE. 

I think you would have to be down towards EZF and Wes to see an inch

Maybe....but who knows...might have to be down in VAB for that...I consider Wes part of this immediate circle...I'm not using the normal boundaries...just the ones I made up in my mind

Remember this?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/history/hgt.ao.1990.gif

The PV that winter split around this time then too and the AO continued to decline. Same thing happened in other +QBO winters with similar forcings. Winter is far from over you pansies. :)

Mid-Feb should see all major teleconnections come in negative, even the NAO which should begin its decline after the relaxation period. 7 major waves will exist next week from China to here, which is high-frequency for winter. This is again looking like December.

Matt's specific window for a storm is embedded within a time period that most of the analogs suggest gets interesting. Some had several small events, ending with a big show (mid Feb 62' to early March nor'easter), while others came close to something noteworthy (like 91' but it had a pattern that could have produced something better).

Remember this?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/history/hgt.ao.1990.gif

The PV that winter split around this time then too and the AO continued to decline. Same thing happened in other +QBO winters with similar forcings. Winter is far from over you pansies. :)

Mid-Feb should see all major teleconnections come in negative, even the NAO which should begin its decline after the relaxation period. 7 major waves will exist next week from China to here, which is high-frequency for winter. This is again looking like December.

Matt's specific window for a storm is embedded within a time period that most of the analogs suggest gets interesting. Some had several small events, ending with a big show (mid Feb 62' to early March nor'easter), while others came close to something noteworthy (like 91' but it had a pattern that could have produced something better).

Pansies has always been a great word...lol..

Archived