Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what everybody is expecting. We are definitely getting s warmer period in early Feb. It's been talked about for a while now. Whether it's 3 or 5 or even 7 days, we just don't know. 

All guidance points to below normal again inside of 2 weeks. Broad conus trough and now weak ridging along socal is showing on the means. -Epo runs the whole period and some blocking (not optimal) has been showing for days. 

Feb is not going to be door to door cold at all. Even if we get snow it's prob not going to stick on the ground for a week. We're most likely past that part of the year. 

Just focus on the weekend wave. It's not resolved at all. If the next week's storm is strong it's going to cut. Any wrapped up storm is going to cut for a while. Just root for weaker solutions, hp pressing, and more zonal flow for now. I'm glad we're most likely getting the warmer period out of the way early in the month. This is the 3rd time this winter we've seen ridging in the east as everything reloads. I'm not sure why there is so much negative talk. I should probably take a break from this thread until next week. 

Bob, I think people are negative because on the models we are getting warm with a storm around. At least that is how I feel :(

At 6-10 day leads nothing is resolved. We're on the edge here. We'll probably see a bunch of flips this week. Some great, some notsomuch. Maybe I'm the only one expecting it. Our chances of snow on any storm from the weekend through mid next week are 50/50 at best. And we'll have no idea for days. 

DC to Philly is going to be in the "it could go either way" zone for this upcoming pattern.  With the PNA going negative the trough axis is going to shift west.  However, the AO looks to stay fairly negative as well and the CONUS is flooded with cold air so its not a lost cause, there will be plenty of cold around available if we can get any of the waves riding the boundary to stay south.  What is going to determine how this ends up for the Mid Atlantic will be if we can get ANY help from the other indices.  Either the NAO or the EPO could do the trick.  The trend warmer yesterday was due to the EPO trending back towards neutral...with a -PNA and no help from the NAO that wont work.  We either need the EPO to help us out OR the NAO.  If either of those can get their act together some of these waves will likely slide under a pressing cold air mass.  If both do us no good, this is probably going to be a great pattern for Binghamtom NY and wet for the mid atl.  The models have been shifting all over with where to go with this so I doubt anything is settled yet.  My gut says the GFS is more right then the euro. 

Yes, theoretically it's possible, but warm/wet, cold/dry mantra aside, how likely is that to actually happen?

depends... January it would be very hard to do, but February, got to remember the avg highs start creeping up the second half of the month.  You can be below normal in DC and still not cold enough for snow.  Its unlikely but wouldn't be unheard of to end the month -2 temps but below normal snow. 

DC to Philly is going to be in the "it could go either way" zone for this upcoming pattern.  With the PNA going negative the trough axis is going to shift west.  However, the AO looks to stay fairly negative as well and the CONUS is flooded with cold air so its not a lost cause, there will be plenty of cold around available if we can get any of the waves riding the boundary to stay south.  What is going to determine how this ends up for the Mid Atlantic will be if we can get ANY help from the other indices.  Either the NAO or the EPO could do the trick.  The trend warmer yesterday was due to the EPO trending back towards neutral...with a -PNA and no help from the NAO that wont work.  We either need the EPO to help us out OR the NAO.  If either of those can get their act together some of these waves will likely slide under a pressing cold air mass.  If both do us no good, this is probably going to be a great pattern for Binghamtom NY and wet for the mid atl.  The models have been shifting all over with where to go with this so I doubt anything is settled yet.  My gut says the GFS is more right then the euro. 

It's impossible to know where we sit. To add to your post, CPC d8+ and d11+ are full of all types of solutions. Snow, freezing rain, rain, and all of the above for DCA. 

Weirdly, I root for DCA because I root for Matt, and H20 and Ian and Wes and others to do just as well as I am. And I want to do even better up my way, it's just how I am.

So, yeah, a juicy southern system that dumps snow down in the coastal Carolina area and misses us is annoying to me. The clipper-on-steroids or whatever that was last week was an awesome surprise and a fun event, but I happen to really enjoy the moisture laden southern storms that dump qpf in the form of snow over us. The one last week was still moisture starved, but saved by ratios. It is what it is. This should all be in banter. I have confessed to being a snow dick over there.

I get your point. But the southern stream looks to be active through February. We will get our chances before this winter is over. 

I get your point. But the southern stream looks to be active through February. We will get our chances before this winter is over. 

Did we all freek out in the early dec, pre-xmas, and mid jan warm spell? We got snow during the reload after each. It's hard to think otherwise unless it appears everything is breaking down which it clearly doesn't attm. 

in my mind, there's some good news

both 1/03 and 1/10 featured decent southern snow storms that gave snow to the shores of VA & NC while we all whined

after that, we had great FEBs

if history repeats, I think this represents the peak of the arctic intrusions down south for the winter and we will do better from here (not necessarily as the FEBs that followed those winters, but OK)

Did we all freek out in the early dec, pre-xmas, and mid jan warm spell? We got snow during the reload after each. It's hard to think otherwise unless it appears everything is breaking down which it clearly doesn't attm. 

Exactly. Just give me an active southern stream with some HP to the north and I'm happy. Its really all we can ask for. Will some of the storms be rain or ice. Sure. But some COULD be snow. At this point I am all about getting a big event before the winter is done. Thats only gonna happen with an active southern stream. 

Part of the problem is only the Fall line and NW folks did well in December. So for many here its just been the 2 events in January. I think I had 1.5 inches in December, but I'm not complaining. January has been great, as I like having snow on the ground for a week, and I like the bitter cold(to an extent). The mindset is different for those that are still well under climo, and now they see a possible return to a pattern that may produce for the N MD crew, but the DC area maybe not so much.

in my mind, there's some good news

both 1/03 and 1/10 featured decent southern snow storms that gave snow to the shores of VA & NC while we all whined

after that, we had great FEBs

if history repeats, I think this represents the peak of the arctic intrusions down south for the winter and we will do better from here (not necessarily as the FEBs that followed those winters, but OK)

I'm expecting -20s in March don't declare January over yet

Archived