• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does feel amazing outside - just cannot stay out very long... I decided to be a little foolish and go out to check on the dogs (one was sniffing around where we have a rabbit hole) without a jacket on - it was "refreshing" for the first 15 to 20 feet - after that, I was thinking "you are an idiot"... :)

5.8 this morning.I know it's not a shock a pond froze over but given how windy it was and choppy the water was it's pretty cool it got cold enough to freeze over. Also, there are shards of ice coming out of the ground. All that wet weather left a lot of moisture in the ground and it all froze. Pretty cool to walk on

CAE recorded 13 for the low and mby said 10 :D  Sooo close to the single digits :lol:  Now I'm headed outside to blow some bubbles   ^_^

I tried it last night around 1am when it was like 9 but the wind was so high and it was so damn cold I gave up lol. I mean I got the bubbles but as soon as i made them they blew away lol. Still too windy right now. maybe it can get it to work tonight if it gets cold enough.

1.9 this morning :)

Damn! I thought for sure you would hit 0 based on 950mb temps and how much colder you were than me yesterday evening. I mean you was a good 10 degrees colder at one point and maybe more at other times.  At 2:30 am last night when i went to bed, there were temps between -3 and 3 all over the place over the mountains and foothills so I was thinking "yep he's gotten to or will get to 0". 

So it's a bit surprising that with a convective/windy/non radiational cooling regime you only was 4 degrees colder this morning. I know it's only 2 degrees but I hate getting it wrong. :gun_bandana:

My back yard hit 0 here in the NE Cherokee sticks.  It's up to 3 degrees now that the sun has been up for an hour.  The closest official NWS station at the county airport southwest of here hit 5 in the wee hours, but we consistently run a few degrees below that station year round so no big surprise there.

Delighted to say all the plumbing survived intact.

This was fun.  Can we have some snow next though?

My back yard hit 0 here in the NE Cherokee sticks.  It's up to 3 degrees now that the sun has been up for an hour.  The closest official NWS station at the county airport southwest of here hit 5 in the wee hours, but we consistently run a few degrees below that station year round so no big surprise there.

Delighted to say all the plumbing survived intact.

This was fun.  Can we have some snow next though?

This has been fun and different.

And Unlike with snow, if you bust you can't see the difference so much either LOL..or hear it from friends and family :lol: If it is 6 instead of 2, no one will care..it's still cold as hell. But if you call for freezing rain and it's a half a degree too warm, the end result makes it look like you were off by 20 degrees. Or if you say there will be a half inch of snow and you only get flurries, even though in reality you are only talking a difference of hundredths of an inch, it appears like you were off by a mile. God forbid if the NWS calls for 2 to 4 inches of snow and you only get an inch. Even  though they would only be off by a tenth of an inch liquid (or far less if the ratios are high) from the low end of their range, people will give them hell.

This type of stuff has always bugged me because if you are only off a half a degree or 1 to 3 tenths of an inch liquid at any other time, people will think you did a great job. I mean if you call for 2.2 inches of rain and it rains 2 inches even people will say you nailed it. But be off that much involving snow and ice and you will look like a moron in the non weather educated people.

CAE recorded 13 for the low and mby said 10 :D  Sooo close to the single digits :lol:  Now I'm headed outside to blow some bubbles   ^_^

ironically they just showed the bubble thing on one of the local news channels...that was cool! I really have to try it when the wind is down.

the "OMG Cold Dome of Death" is a little chilly... High now forecast to be 20f.

A lot of folks on my Fb feed complaining of heat pump failures. GasPack FTW...

Just got word that quite a few people I know have no water this morning. Fortunately all my pipes are insulated and I kept a light on under the house to be sure.

Archived