• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Isopycnic

Am I understanding correctly that the models/soundings are actually NOW showing what bsudweather was hoping for (and consequently got tongue lashed for daydreaming about)?  I don't really have a dog in this fight but it made me chuckle when I saw todays posts. Poor old bsudweather just made his statement 2 days too early. Prophet perhaps?

What's up bsudweather?  It's difficult to tell what you meant the other day when you wrote about pulling cold air down.  I took it to mean you thought there was a greater chance for dynamic cooling than what the models were showing at that time (rather than you thought heavy precip rates were going to somehow drag colder temps from 5000 feet down to the surface).  But some folks took it a different way.  Who knows who's right, because it's difficult to know for sure what you meant.  If you meant the former, then that was, in fact, a legitimate possibility.  If you meant the latter, well, not so much.

Either way, good to have you back! :)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NC ski areas looking good this weekend. TWO clippers forecast during the weekend. It is a holiday weekend so crowds will be there. Dilemma: See snow but stand in line a lot; or, hope for the same during a midweek period (better than right now)? Latter is risky but weather pattern stays cold thru January.  :ski:

NC ski areas looking good this weekend. TWO clippers forecast during the weekend. It is a holiday weekend so crowds will be there. Dilemma: See snow but stand in line a lot; or, hope for the same during a midweek period (better than right now)? Latter is risky but weather pattern stays cold thru January.  :ski:

I'm looking to make a day trip up to Cataloochee next week.  Then maybe Boone week after, conditions look to be better than they have been in a while

A group of friends and myself headed up on MLK weekend last year to go sledding. The wait times were 4 hours at Sugar Mtn!

What's up bsudweather?  It's difficult to tell what you meant the other day when you wrote about pulling cold air down.  I took it to mean you thought there was a greater chance for dynamic cooling than what the models were showing at that time (rather than you thought heavy precip rates were going to somehow drag colder temps from 5000 feet down to the surface).  But some folks took it a different way.  Who knows who's right, because it's difficult to know for sure what you meant.  If you meant the former, then that was, in fact, a legitimate possibility.  If you meant the latter, well, not so much.

Either way, good to have you back! :)

I'm not bsudweather nor do I know him. I suppose its possible he's made other comments that I haven't seen that justified the rude responses he received. Or perhaps he's ignored kinder requests to hush it in the past.  I've been a lurker on this forum for several winters and I understand how seriously some of you guys take this.  Just seemed overly harsh for some guy making a wishful statement.

I still think we don't get more than trace amounts of winter weather in most areas outside of the mountains this winter.

I seriously, seriously doubt that.  If all I get is trace amounts of winter weather this winter, I will give up on weather (actually, I probably won't, but still ;)).  Fortunately, climatology suggests this is very, very unlikely.

You are pretty far south, so that may be true in your area (your area probably averages 1-2" of snow per winter, if I had to guess), but it's best not to make blanket statements like this.  A winter without accumulating snowfall is almost unheard of around here (in fact, it might be unheard of) and this isn't in the mountains.

-----------

By the way, sorry to hear about your situation, Met. :(  That is really unfortunate and I hope/pray things turn around.

I want to get excited about the upcoming pattern, but it's hard to get excited about something 10 days out.  At least we're now actually discussing fantasy storms rather than fantasy patterns, so that's an improvement, I guess.

I do hope to see some flakes fly tonight, but I don't like the fact it got up into the mid-50s today.....

Archived