Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea biased to certain people!

OK here I go.  All queen did was to point out that your "hope" that there would be enough evaporative cooling to produce snow was not backed up by the sounding.  Freezing at 850 yes.  But the temps FROM THERE ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND are above freezing and THE COLUMN IS BASICALLY SATURATED.  You don't get a lot of evaporation in a saturated column.  It would take precip rates that are way, way beyond anything shown on any model to pull the 850 cold down enough to allow snow to reach the ground.  He didn't say you are wrong, the data says you are wrong.  If you can't handle that you have two choices going forward. The first is to just read, learn and wait a while before making technical posts.  The second is to decide this isn't for you and leave the forum.  Actually there is a third option but others control that if you keep on doing what you are doing.

Yeah, I know a little about weather.  I don't joke around all the time.  :)

OK here I go.  All queen did was to point out that your "hope" that there would be enough evaporative cooling to produce snow was not backed up by the sounding.  Freezing at 850 yes.  But the temps FROM THERE ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND are above freezing and THE COLUMN IS BASICALLY SATURATED.  You don't get a lot of evaporation in a saturated column.  It would take precip rates that are way, way beyond anything shown on any model to pull the 850 cold down enough to allow snow to reach the ground.  He didn't say you are wrong, the data says you are wrong.  If you can't handle that you have two choices going forward. The first is to just read, learn and wait a while before making technical posts.  The second is to decide this isn't for you and leave the forum.  Actually there is a third option but others control that if you keep on doing what you are doing.

Yeah, I know a little about weather.  I don't joke around all the time.   :)

You gave him the answer  :P  

Ok I just want bother anymore! Y'all can take your biased site and shove it up your know what! Since nobody knows anything but a certain few! Y'all don't know as much about weather as you think just think you all do!

What?  I don't know.  Please explain.  Thanks in advance.

Wes explains it really well  :) 

It does not really drag down cold air. However, if the precipitation is falling very heavily, two things are happening. One you have very strong upward motion and get adiabatic expansion as you go to lower pressures. As the air expands, less molecules bump into each other and therefore you get cooling. At least I think that's what happens. If you compress air it heats. You can test that by using an air pump. The biggest part of dynamic cooling I think is the expansion due to lifting. I guess you might also have some smaller cooler if you have a storm bomb out and have really rapid pressure falls and height falls. However, wherever you have lifting you usually have mass divergence above it so you are in a sense evacuating air.

The other thing that happens if you have precipitation falling heavily and at the higher levels it's still in frozen form so it ends up cooling as it melts (that's not as efficient as evaporation) but it still will provide cooling. As the atmosphere cools from the melting the freezing level lowers and the melting shifts to a new place in the column. The biggest part of dynamic cooling I think is the expansion due to lifting. I guess you might also have some smaller cooler if you have a storm bomb out and have really rapid pressure falls and height falls. Anyway, that's my poor attempt to explain it.

Melting can cool a column, but. I don't think the rates shown on the NAM will do it. Then again, who knows if the thermal profiles on the long range NAM will be accurate. Then again, who really gives a crap about the long range NAM. It certainly isn't worth arguing about. In fact, the NAM is probably laughing at us right now after getting the reaction it wanted....cause that's all it's really good for at that range :)

I thought he meant he was going to saturate your column.

Could be.....who knows....Dynamic cooling means that the air itself is cooling off without necessarily moving anywhere.

My use of the smiley face was not the best way to imply.

My post should have read more like: 

"Maybe he meant "Dynamic Cooling? #sarcasmfont"

Melting can cool a column, but. I don't think the rates shown on the NAM will do it. Then again, who knows if the thermal profiles on the long range NAM will be accurate. Then again, who really gives a crap about the long range NAM. It certainly isn't worth arguing about. In fact, the NAM is probably laughing at us right now after getting the reaction it wanted....cause that's all it's really good for at that range :)

It won't help when the temp is well above freezing  ;)    

The point is.......take time to learn so that you can add to a discussion. 

Bevo........lmao!!   :hug: 

Remember this gem (don't know who originally posted it)?

ECMFW - I'm going to own this beer. I know everything about it. How long it took to brew, the type of hops, etc

GFS - Ummmm, I think this is beer?

NAM - Mine fell over two times :)

barfy.png

Yeah, I'm just playing around. :)

I know you are  :wub:   

Remember this gem (don't know who originally posted it)?

ECMFW - I'm going to own this beer. I know everything about it. How long it took to brew, the type of hops, etc

GFS - Ummmm, I think this is beer?

NAM - Mine fell over two times :)

:lol:  

Every little minor flurry and drizzle event is compared to something big in the past. Models are not that bad anymore. We won't see massive qpf changes 2 days before an event or whatever. Some people need to be more realistic.

Good thing about this year vs the other two winters is that there haven't been any March 1960 cut off low comparison or a Carolina Destroyer comparison.

If anyone needs some good furniture made and they live around CLT I've got a guy who does great work and is very cheap. Made an awesome king size bed frame for me for $650 almost everywhere else for the same style they were around $1200 or so. He also made an awesome farm table we bought a few months ago for cheap. 

rjSyu3Rl.jpg

Lol at how lame and pathetic the weather channel is.

In other news natural gas should rise today as the gfs ensembles had an absolute poor performance last week. Euro ensembles show the vortex returning to the lakes again.

They are getting their stories from Joe Bastardi's Twitter Feed.

:shiver:  :weight_lift:  

Wasn't sure where to put this but GSP says:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
AS OF 215 AM EST MON...THE DEEP SHORTWAVE WILL MOVE OFF THE EAST
COAST THURSDAY MORNING AS WE WILL BRIEFLY BE UNDER HIGH PRESSURE
CENTERED OVER THE GULF STATES. THIS HIGH WILL BE PUSHED FARTHER
SOUTH OVER THE GULF THURSDAY NIGHT AS ANOTHER DEEP SHORTWAVE PIN
WHEELS DOWN FROM THE UPPER MISS VALLEY INTO FRIDAY. THERE ARE
DIFFERENCES IN THE MODELS AS HOW THE FORECAST EVOLVES FRIDAY AND
FRIDAY NIGHT. THE GFS...ECMWF AND CANADIAN ALL HAVE SOME MOISTURE IN
THE COLD UPPER TROUGH BEHIND THE FALLING THICKNESS VALUES WHICH
WOULD BRING SNOW SHOWERS TO NC MTNS LATE FRI AND FRI NIGHT. THE