northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I look at the board and there's a threat thread and I say "yay".  Then I look at the posts and I say..."aww". 

Something like that.

It's not called a threat because it's a sure thing that will happen. It's simply a chance that it will occur. Not sure how more aren't at least somewhat excited about this weekend and if you feel there is a big reason why nothing will happen by all means jump in the thread and give your disco. 

It's not called a threat because it's a sure thing that will happen. It's simply a chance that it will occur. Not sure how more aren't at least somewhat excited about this weekend and if you feel there is a big reason why nothing will happen by all means jump in the thread and give your disco. 

Ok, sorry.  I've been pessimistic.  3 years will do that to ya...

To be fair though, I did chime in.  Weekend storm is way warm.

What storm do yall see? The Euro has did this so many times this winter and November 2013.

Huh? When did the Euro latch on to a storm around 100 hours out only to fail miserably? By all means I'll wait for you to tell me about all the times it did this with references. No one is saying it will def. 100% happen but it's worth watching and if we want to be fools by discussing it (along with a few red taggers BTW) who cares? 

Ok, sorry.  I've been pessimistic.  3 years will do that to ya...

To be fair though, I did chime in.  Weekend storm is way warm.

While I quoted you it was quite a direct punch in your general direction. I get if there is no model support and it only showed up once on a model but the Euro has showed this a few times, it has support from the UK, some support from the CMC and the GFS looked like it might be going in that direction (time will tell). The thing is models typically always show SFC temps too warm a few days out. If the temps are close there is a good chance we can thread the needle. In the end what makes a forum like this great is discussion and reasons why there is a chance or this one might not work out. Also saying, "those temps are turrible...just turrible" aint exactly steller reasons. 

You don't remember those two big ass storms it showed in November only to take them away. Btw I never said yall were fools for discussing it. Better to create a thread to discuss it then put it all in the discussion thread.

I do remember one of them, because it was eerily similar to another Euro bust last winter. I don't recall a second one.

I totally read your post in that thread with the voice of Charles Barkley.

Yeah right?! I wish Charles was a weather man somewhere, I'd watch the heck out his forecasts!

While I quoted you it was quite a direct punch in your general direction. I get if there is no model support and it only showed up once on a model but the Euro has showed this a few times, it has support from the UK, some support from the CMC and the GFS looked like it might be going in that direction (time will tell). The thing is models typically always show SFC temps too warm a few days out. If the temps are close there is a good chance we can thread the needle. In the end what makes a forum like this great is discussion and reasons why there is a chance or this one might not work out. Also saying, "those temps are turrible...just turrible" aint exactly steller reasons. 

My bad burger, have at it.  I'm just messing around a bit.  To each their own.  I hope you're right and the low trends more SE and we get a nice event for sure. 

You don't remember those two big ass storms it showed in November only to take them away. Btw I never said yall were fools for discussing it. Better to create a thread to discuss it then put it all in the discussion thread.

So, to get this straight. So many times this winter and in November = two storms in November? 

##PU*(UE EIFDFJ KJKE###*&* EURIEOJ#&$#*&*(&R* UEIRJ*#&$*#&U# I#IOUWE(R&*W(E&R*(ETUEIOTJEIRU#P*&*#&**$UIEURWE&*(#$&$(#*&$(#*&$@(*#&$#@*(&$@(#*$&CNEUIERJWEOP$@#(*&CUEOPIJOPI$U#V*%BV*$(*()@$*)VN(* *&$*(#&$(#*UC$N*#&$(#&$(*@&$(*C#@&$*(CN)$*(#&$CN)@#(*&NC#)*&$(@#*&$#(N$&(*#NC&()&N$(*#&$C()*@&$(@#&*%()E*TIMEWRU*(&$NV_#&*$CN#)*($NC_#M$_()*M@$*M$$M_#*VN#*%N#(*$CM)($*M)_*$_@V%&($*&%*@!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have your attention........first.......let me thank most of you for keeping this in the banter thread. 

Second..........if someone wants to start a thread because sunshine is forecasted........IT WILL BE ALLOWED

Third.............Metalman....Refrain yourself from cussing

Fourth.........Brick and everyone else that hasn't read the posting etiquette thread....if you can't add anything of value to the PINNED discussion thread....DO NOT POST. 

Fifth.............Dear Old Man Winter......PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE bring the SE CREW some winter precip before everyone kills each other.....

Now.....back to your regular scheduled program

##PU*(UE EIFDFJ KJKE###*&* EURIEOJ#&$#*&*(&R* UEIRJ*#&$*#&U# I#IOUWE(R&*W(E&R*(ETUEIOTJEIRU#P*&*#&**$UIEURWE&*(#$&$(#*&$(#*&$@(*#&$#@*(&$@(#*$&CNEUIERJWEOP$@#(*&CUEOPIJOPI$U#V*%BV*$(*()@$*)VN(* *&$*(#&$(#*UC$N*#&$(#&$(*@&$(*C#@&$*(CN)$*(#&$CN)@#(*&NC#)*&$(@#*&$#(N$&(*#NC&()&N$(*#&$C()*@&$(@#&*%()E*TIMEWRU*(&$NV_#&*$CN#)*($NC_#M$_()*M@$*M$$M_#*VN#*%N#(*$CM)($*M)_*$_@V%&($*&%*@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have your attention........first.......let me thank most of you for keeping this in the banter thread. 

Second..........if someone wants to start a thread because sunshine is forecasted........IT WILL BE ALLOWED

Third.............Metalman....Refrain yourself from cussing

Fourth.........Brick and everyone else that hasn't read the posting etiquette thread....if you can't add anything of value to the PINNED discussion thread....DO NOT POST. 

Fifth.............Dear Old Man Winter......PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE bring the SE CREW some winter precip before everyone kills each other.....

Now.....back to your regular scheduled program

Thanks for messing up the board format, and the great message.

Here are some of the highlights from the etiquette thread

1. PLEASE do not ask about QPF in every model discussion. All of the major metro areas in NC/SC/GA will invariably always be covered. It may not be immediate but I believe we did a great job covering most areas during the last event. I left Tennessee and Alabama off that list because we just dont have the critical mass of posters there so the likelihood of immediate QPF numbers goes down. We will do our best to include everyone though, I promise. 

2. PLEASE do not badger red taggers with IMBY questions. 

3. Do not ever declare a bust when an event is just unfolding. You'll get burnt 99 times out of 100 and end up pissing people off. This is actually probably more important than the first two guidelines. 

4. Please feel free to add as many obs as possible in the OBS thread, even if you're a lurker. You're almost always downstream of someone who wants to know what could be coming. 

5. KEEP WHINING OUT OF EVENT DISCUSSION THREADS. That's what the banter thread is for. 

6. Dont begrudge other people their events, even if they are less likely to get it than you climatologically speaking. That's what they do in the other regions and we dont do that here. Never have, never will. 

7. You almost never know more about weather than a red tagger, unless it's Analog96. 

8. PLEASE only add the coarse images from NCEP. 

When replying to a post that includes a large image, delete the image in your reply. 

if people would just read before posting, many times their question has been answered. do not insult pro mets and do not pester them - they are doing us all a huge favor by posting here. and yes, what is posted here is probably not in the official NWS forecasts. the board is for discussion and possibilities. 

When someone says this pattern, model run, etc sure looks good for snow....Please try to at least try to generalize what areas of our region it applies to. 

1) Please list your location in your profile so when you are discussing your area, we know where your area is.

2) Don't post obs in the discussion thread.

3) Don't post full length NWS discussions or other lengthy commentary in the discussion thread...just post the relevant parts (i.e. if we're talking about a storm in the 5+ day time frame, don't post the near term part of the discussion). 

Please don't label a storm a big heaping stinkpile of FAIL just because it didn't plop the desired weather in your back yard. It might stink for you, but odds are its a dream come true for someone else.

I hate when people rag on models when they don't show a solution they like. This mainly applies to the GFS, but people have even tossed out the Euro in certain situations. Every major model-the GFS, GGEM, Euro, NAM, UKMET-is worthy of consideration. Verification scores differ by a pretty small margin, there's no justification to completely throw out a model for being ever so slightly worse than another. 

Back to the etiquette... Members who are hesitant to post because they feel like they may have little to add to the wx discussion, get your feet wet and break the ice in the banter thread. During periods of inactivity the rules are somewhat relaxed, however remember that things you would normally post on a sunny summer afternoon may not be the best thing to post when 1/2 the SE is under a WSW. And lastly, and probably most important, use the report button when you find something objectionable. Odds are others notice it too and if everyone chooses to not do anything, garbage can accumulate and muck up an otherwise active and great discussion quickly.

last....but not least....lol

Helpful hints to posting on AmericanWx this winter:
- Post like a Tourette's Syndrome victim on meth
- Be hyper-vigilant about 300+ hour threats
- Always err on the side of ridiculous when posting your snow obs
- Make devastating judgments about the quality of your winter based on one model run losing a storm
- Never relax during a storm - dry slots can happen at any time
- Never go outside during a snowstorm because you'll miss the latest radar update
- A missed storm can be the worst thing that has ever happened in your life. Be sure to share those thoughts in your region's subforum.
- If your region misses a storm, take it out on the subforum of the region that's getting the storm
- Share every single forecast/idea you have, in great detail - what do those red taggers have over you other than experience and expertise?
- The pro-snow mets are like a big brother who always gets you presents and tells you you're awesome all the time
- The anti-snow mets are like a big brother who tries to push you down the basement steps and calls you mean names
- Forky is like a big brother who sets your pet hamster on fire right in front of you
- Smart, reasonable people = Big meanies and are your enemy
- If the staff five-posts you or bans you, never forget there are hundreds of online forums where you can bash AmericanWx
- Never forget that stuff like family, pets, significant others, girlfriends/boyfriends, work, life, etc. all take a back seat to frozen water crystals falling out of the sky

Yeah, that didn't really answer my question. I guess it's because I made a comment that the trend of the models today looked good, and then it was deleted, while there is another post on the same page talking just about someone's backyard, and I see other general comments like that about the trend of the models and such.

Yeah, that didn't really answer my question. I guess it's because I made a comment that the trend of the models today looked good, and then it was deleted, while there is another post on the same page talking just about someone's backyard, and I see other general comments like that about the trend of the models and such.

She did that just to mess with you!  :lmao:

Brick I say this as nicely as I can and it's going to come off really mean...but if people got the sense that you knew anything about weather and what you were talking about you probably could generalize. Instead you generalize other people's generalizations and it's clear you have clue as to what you're talking about. If not you can always give us your analysis of the 18z GFS but I'm not going to wait around for it. 

Archived