Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

Kaboodle.

Don't get your hopes up. The other models have had plenty of time to get this figured out, and they haven't.

Agreed, there is a reason the models aren't doing this, because it ain't happening.  Not sure I agree with the cold going anyway in Feb, unfortunately, we probably warm for 7-10 days and then the last 3 weeks are going to be more of the same for us, -EPO has been a staple, cold and snowless.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on hour 102 of the 12Z GFS, it is likely going to come in even colder than the prior two runs in the Midwest at least around days 6-7+! Let's see what happens. The GFS doesn't seem to be finished reversing colder.

Edit: yesterday's 12Z GFS had Chicago near 32 F at hour 150. Today's 12Z GFS hour 132 has them nearly 28 F colder at near 4 F!

So D.C. will get some snow, that will get the I-95 cites from D.C. north at average snow or above. All of this with a +nao. With a +nao there should be storms running inland thru the piedmont. It seems like only the northern mid Atlantic, southern New England, lake belts and southern plains are at average or above in snow. Am I correct?

NAO is positive but AO negative. Sometimes the latter is enough, at least for the NE.

We best hope the next 10 days produces a southern stream storm. If not, this may wrap this winter.

JB advises this morning cold goes West in February with the predominant SE ridge back in residence.

This is the best weather news I've heard in a long time. JB is a terrible forecaster. I'm betting on the southeast looking like Hoth in February after reading his thoughts.

This is the best weather news I've heard in a long time. JB is a terrible forecaster. I'm betting on the southeast looking like Hoth in February after reading his thoughts.

without a southern stream the pattern will be crap. Only storms will come from a -pna and with a +nao they will cut. #fail.

Although JB still does have potential clients to make money from (so he's biased to an extent).  Since leaving AW; he is MUCH better this year and I enjoy his outlooks.  Nothing close to how he was back at AW.  He has been more right than wrong this year.

All that needs to be said is look at his winter forecast and you will see how bad a forecaster he is. He has owned the pattern all winter weather u or anybody else likes him. He never mentions se as there is nothing to talk about. When a storm for se is on the horizon he will be first to mention it.

All that needs to be said is look at his winter forecast and you will see how bad a forecaster he is. He has owned the pattern all winter weather u or anybody else likes him. He never mentions se as there is nothing to talk about. When a storm for se is on the horizon he will be first to mention it.

Good post. He lives in State College, PA. Majority of his clients both corporate or individuals are in the NE or MA. Therefore, he focuses on those areas. His forecasts place much more emphasis on the pattern than each days weather. Does not always pan out the way he expects it to. Does it always pan the way any met expects it to? Because he does hype a lot, his busts seem like even bigger busts. I know a number of skilled mets that have leaned too heavily on the GFS this winter and have looked really bad for it. If I want an idea of the LR weather pattern, JB is a very good source. He is not always right, but explains his ideas very well.

Can anyone give input on the nam in the link below seems that there is another piece of energy coming through right after tommorows system in time for the weekend...

http://weather.unisys.com/nam/nam.php?plot=500&inv=0&t=60

Don't get your hopes up either.

Still over the ocean and probably not sampled right and the angle its dropping down on an exiting trough... that will be north of here too.

Lookout around 240+ on 18 z GFS. A lot different with western ridging again holding longer!

Edit: well, we're back to showing a major winter storm for some in the SE near the end of Jan. It falls mainly on 1/29. It is mainly snow with heaviest of 4-10" E half of NC with 1-4 western half of NC, 2-4 upstate SC/N SC, and 1-3" N GA north of a line from northern ATL burbs to northside of Athens.

Nice Hoth reference! :)

JB has done pretty well so far this year, though.

Has he? I'm wondering if he is still going to lock himself in his hotel room with a bottle of jack and a handgun because of the brutal cold that was totally going to be here in Feb. but now isn't? Wasn't he physically shaking at the cold the models were setting up for in Feb? 

Has he? I'm wondering if he is still going to lock himself in his hotel room with a bottle of jack and a handgun because of the brutal cold that was totally going to be here in Feb. but now isn't? Wasn't he physically shaking at the cold the models were setting up for in Feb?

He did seem very gloom and doom about the upcoming cold and saying it would be more costly than a hurricane when all was said and done!? I know we, I , hang on every run, but he's a professional and should know not to trust models that far out, even if they are all showing something about the same

Archived