• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

Remember the days when we used to watch the weather channel and watch the pretty pink, white, and green colors travel from texas east over...hoping the white would show up over the carolinas? No? Oh, must have been just me. It used to happen though, alot! Not so much anymore.

TXXKfdyl.png

Still waiting on a blocking -NAO with a southern stream combo. Until then it's hoping for a miracle.

Marion County wx said this exact same thing like 2 days ago. Lol

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawn,

Why would you be so bitter? You're not the only one I'm sure. You know that just because CHS averages less doesn't mean they can't get more in some years. Example: 1989. In 1989, I was in Atlanta and no measurable snow whereas the coast got blasted  Did I cry about it or get mad? No, even though I would have loved to have seen it or to have been in Savannah., if possible. But I couldn't be there then. I had a preplanned trip to Reno, where there was no snow at all! Instead of getting mad, I got excited about the SE coast getting a very rare snow and followed it closely. Sometimes, Columbia gets more than GSP even though GSP averages more. Example: 1973. I know you know this but average snowfall is just that average.

You could always take a trip to CHS once the roads are ok. Of course, there's nothing like getting snow at home.

Not bitter; just discouraged.  I feel a bit brickish with the whole "its always a week later." deal.

For what it's worth the 00z Euro ensembles  had a member showing 12 inches or so here in KCAE, and hitting the rest of the state even Hilton Head. lol

That would even work out for your area I'd bet.

Not bitter; just discouraged. I feel a bit brickish with the whole "its always a week later." deal.

For what it's worth the 00z Euro ensembles had a member showing 12 inches or so here in KCAE, and hitting the rest of the state even Hilton Head. lol

That would even work out for your area I'd bet.

Yeah I saw where the Euro control was further West compared to the Op.

Remember the days when we used to watch the weather channel and watch the pretty pink, white, and green colors travel from texas east over...hoping the white would show up over the carolinas? No? Oh, must have been just me. It used to happen though, alot! Not so much anymore.

TXXKfdyl.png

Still waiting on a blocking -NAO with a southern stream combo. Until then it's hoping for a miracle.

I think it used to happen more because we were in a +pdo cycle. Now that the pdo is in its - cycle we can only have these events in nino years.

This is from the HWO New Orleans this morning...found it interesting:

VERY COLD AIR BEHIND THE FRONT THURSDAY NIGHT COULD PRODUCE

ANOTHER HARD FREEZE OVER SOUTHWEST MISSISSIPPI AND BORDERING

AREAS OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA. IN ADDITION...THERE IS SOME

INDICATION THAT LIGHT PRECIPITATION COULD LINGER INTO THE LATE

NIGHT HOURS...COINCIDENTAL WITH THESE COLD TEMPERATURES. THERE

ARE STILL LARGE UNCERTAINTIES IN THIS FORECAST RANGING FROM DRY

WEATHER TO THE POSSIBILITY OF ACCUMULATING SNOW FOR PORTIONS OF

THE OUTLOOK AREA. IF SNOW DOES OCCUR AREAS MOST LIKELY TO SEE IT

ARE GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM MORGAN CITY TO

BELLE CHASSE...INCLUDING THE NEW ORLEANS METRO AREA AND MS GULF

COAST. THIS POTENTIAL WINTER WEATHER EVENT WILL CONTINUE TO BE

MONITORED OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

Which one cycles like, every 30 years or so? Everything seems to have it's own cycle...and I lose interest after about 4 of them.

Yeah the 30 year one was the one I thought was about to switch....that's not the PDO?  Thought we were in some type of negative long term cycle that was about to switch favorable soon. 

I'm starting to think next year's nino (if it holds) is the next best chance for a good storm in CLT. 

Here is a good case and point of potential that several of the models have been pointing to on and off for some time. Will it happen? Not sure. But it is within 72 hours now. If there were accumulating snow in NO and the MS gulf coast, it would be a big deal. And, a big deal that some models were sniffing at many days ago. As many have mentioned, LR models are more pattern ideas. Not IMBY 240 hour snow forecasts. That is why I will take this pattern. MBY rarely gets snow without a cold pattern. NO never gets snow without a cold pattern. I average 2" of snow a year. I will take a cold pattern and roll the dice with the rest.

Yeah the 30 year one was the one I thought was about to switch....that's not the PDO?  Thought we were in some type of negative long term cycle that was about to switch favorable soon. 

I'm starting to think next year's nino (if it holds) is the next best chance for a good storm in CLT. 

I thought the PDO was the 30 year as well.

12Z  GFS looks nothing like the 12Z NAM at 5H at 84 hours.  GFS totally loses the energy.  

12z NAM (much different at h5):

Its snowing in ARK, sleet/ice all over texas to the gulf, snowing in far west MS..  LA has snow on the north side, sleet all over the central areas.... precip not hitting hte ground in tn/al yet.

Looks like precip would move eastward.  5400 thicknesses are cutting through 2/3 of MS/AL and flattening out south of atl etc.

nam_SGP_sfc_radar_084.gif

With all that said; it's the NAM.  I'd put all my eggs with the GFS/EURO's new dry solutions for us to the East.

Talk about Suppression City...

Well this winter is certainly looking to balance out colder than average if this carries over into february, which is looking likely. The +PNA has certainly done some dirty work so far this january. reminds me of 02-03 in some ways. We just need the snow now /:

Good news is that the GFS has pretty much abandoned the torch look. The bad news is this run of the GFS keeps it dry. However if you want snow you need to have cold air first and foremost. 

12z GFS out to hour 186 is very cold. Looks like we're going into the deep freezer.

Edit: It's cold all the way to the end. even has some kind of wintery system at day 9 or so. Maybe some clippers thrown in here and there; basically winter is here guys.

12z GFS out to hour 186 is very cold. Looks like we're going into the deep freezer.

Edit: It's cold all the way to the end. even has some kind of wintery system at day 9 or so. Maybe some clippers thrown in here and there; basically winter is here guys.

I'm paying attention to the 29th to 31st timeframe.  Things keep popping up around that time off an on, on several models for a while now.  It's all I've got left!! 

Its snowing in ARK, sleet/ice all over texas to the gulf, snowing in far west MS.. LA has snow on the north side, sleet all over the central areas.... precip not hitting hte ground in tn/al yet.

Looks like precip would move eastward. 5400 thicknesses are cutting through 2/3 of MS/AL and flattening out south of atl etc.

With all that said; it's the NAM. I'd put all my eggs with the GFS/EURO's new dry solutions for us to the East.

As long as the GFS and Euro are dry , I'd ignore the extended NAM solution since it is clearly inferior. Also, notice the 500 mb flow on the 84 hour NAM: dry westerly. With a dry westerly flow, you can bet that the GFS and Euro are not going to show sig. precip. So, IMO, that 12z NAM precip. is largely bogus. Also, even if it were not bogus, it would get drier as it moves eastward due to the dry 500 mb flow. Bottom line: don't get hopes up over 48 hour+ NAM that is an inferior model.

Yeah I was excited about the ridge keeping last night, see http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42156-winter-2013-14-pattern-discussion-ii/page-51#entry2658949

Hopefully the 12z Euro agrees! Then lets hope the ensembles catch on. They're ensembles, though...might take 'em a while if this comes to fruition.

Its snowing in ARK, sleet/ice all over texas to the gulf, snowing in far west MS.. LA has snow on the north side, sleet all over the central areas.... precip not hitting hte ground in tn/al yet.

Looks like precip would move eastward. 5400 thicknesses are cutting through 2/3 of MS/AL and flattening out south of atl etc.

nam_SGP_sfc_radar_084.gif

With all that said; it's the NAM. I'd put all my eggs with the GFS/EURO's new dry solutions for us to the East.

The Euro is dry at the same 84 hours. I recommend you do yourself a favor and toss the 12z NAM instead of letting it get your hopes up. The NAM is quite inferior at 84 and you know it. Its dry westerly 500 mb flow doesn't jibe with sig. precip. making it all of the way to GA/SC. Even if the NAM were somehow correct with that precip. at 84 hours (which I highly doubt considering the dry 500 mb flow), it would almost surely dry out quickly further east.

Edit: I looked at the NAM at the surface. There's no way IMO you're going to get sig. precip moving from there to GA/SC with dry, westerly 500 mb flow and surface high pressure overhead. Way too dry!

Archived