Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS through 168 continues with the idea of our western system cutting off from the flow and just sitting off the coast of Southern California...that, my snow lovers is the missing piece to our puzzle.

gfs_z500_uv_vort_noram_57.png

it just hits a wall when it gets to the west coast and is shunted south. the only way to get it to move east is to have the PV move out, and of course it will take the cold with it. our only chance it seems is to have a s/w move in as the PV is dropping down as well close to the same time, and hook up with energy spinning around the PV. we have plenty of energy rotating around the vortex but we need a well timed s/w coming from the pacific to hook up with it. that's a lot to ask in a fast flow like this. A moist sub tropical jet would be nice right about now

Hey Jon - where do you get that ECMWF ensemble data for select cities?

Thanks in advance.

It's generated as a graphic from Weatherbell.com premium. I just transcribed it because I don't want to post too many of their paid maps.

0z GFS through 168 continues with the idea of our western system cutting off from the flow and just sitting off the coast of Southern California...that, my snow lovers is the missing piece to our puzzle.

gfs_z500_uv_vort_noram_57.png

this run is trash. shortwaves dont move west in the NH.. this is just like a previous system that the GFS said the same thing, but it changed after awhile. 

While some may be discouraged at first glance of a dry 12z OP Euro run today, the good news is the ensembles haven't come close to the OP's amount of snow/precip since the 00z run yesterday on the 17th, for most sites I look up.

A prime example is RDU, ensembles are getting snowier with each run...while the OP snow is basically non-existant, the ensemble mean hits 1.0" by 180hrs, and there are two ensembles with 9.0" or more snowfall within 240hrs, and around five ensembles w/ 4-6" events and a handful of 2" or more. There are only 6 members without snow, leaving 88% of the ensemble members with snow.

Sound encouraging Jon .Thanks for something in the positive direction.

Does it look any better for those of us in the NW Foothills?

this run is trash. shortwaves dont move west in the NH.. this is just like a previous system that the GFS said the same thing, but it changed after awhile. 

The 12Z Euro did the same thing with it, but separated the energy into 2 pieces and sent it east and left the other piece spinning along the west coast. 00z last night ejected the whole thing slowly east. I don't know what to believe lol. Probably neither

Saturday therapy item #8: please ignore the 0Z Sunday Goofy 11-16 day period as there's a good chance it is bogus. No charge for that one.

Yep, I can't imagine +10C 850's in ME. That is one heck of a torch. Looks like it is locked-in on the end of our +PNA. This is several runs showing a LR torch. Not ready to drink the Kool-Aid yet. However, it has to be given some weight. Question is, ....."Will the Euro continue its' theme?"

The 12Z Euro did the same thing with it, but separated the energy into 2 pieces and sent it east and left the other piece spinning along the west coast. 00z last night ejected the whole thing slowly east. I don't know what to believe lol. Probably neither

Now the Euro would be more believable in that case. I hope we get a nice snow though :) 

1/28-9: The 12Z 1/17 GFS has a major nasty "ice baby ice" storm, a Tony loving sleetstorm, and a major Brick loving snowstorm for late 1/28 to 1/29 for many locations!

Ice baby ice: (0.9 to 1.3" of liquid equiv.!): Charleston (yes Charleston per MeteoStar fwiw), Augusta, Columbia, and Columbus. Michelle, it isn't rain for you per MeteoStar and two meter maps I saw, which keep you at or below 32 virtually throughout the storm. It is ZR.

Tony sleetstorm:  Atlanta, Athens 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch liquid equiv.

Tony sleet and icestorm combo: Macon with 0.80" liquid equiv.

Brick endorsed snowstorm: GSP, Charlotte, HKY with liquid equiv. of 0.50 to 0.67"

Brick endorsed snow/sleet combo: RDU 1.12" liquid equiv.

Sunday therapy item #1 is not the Good Doctor though it is still free of charge. Instead, it is a bump showing my post on the 12Z Goofy of Friday showing a major US winter storm for many in the SE. Folks, this is only six Goofy runs ago. It can come back. Keep hope alive! I think that a first good hint would be to see that last Arctic high to revert to being a rather strong one. When things were looking good, it was coming down near 1040 mb. Now it is so much weaker.

0Z Doc is now rolling. This is the most important run I can recall in a very long time as far as the sanity of this BB's members is concerned.

If I'm not mistaken weren't the models showing a torch a couple days ago before showing the cold look.. so either the cold snap is a hiccup on the models and the models are coming back to its solutions from a couple days ago... or these warm runs are due to a pattern change the models are still confused about

Euro actually looks halfway descent for Wed. Has all of NC with probably .20 of precip. which should be snow for everyone. freezing sfc temps run up 85 west. 

Yeah...the vort associated with this digs pretty far south...if we're not going to get anything significant from the Gulf, would like to see a clipper actually dig and hold together far enough south. Ratios should be fairly high you would think with that vort.

If I'm not mistaken weren't the models showing a torch a couple days ago before showing the cold look.. so either the cold snap is a hiccup on the models and the models are coming back to its solutions from a couple days ago... or these warm runs are due to a pattern change the models are still confused about

No, no torch showed up consistently before the cold look for the last part of Jan. because that was past day 16 at the time the GFS was suddenly warmer on runs 10 days ago. When the GFS got suddenly warmer, it was for around now. Well, we see how bad that busted lol.

Euro now out and running through 102...the vort coming ashore the Pacific Northwest seems to be sliding southeast more than compared to the GFS, sitting over Northeast Nevada at 102. The GFS as this time already had it diving due south towards Vegas.

EDIT: at 114 vort sitting over Utah, not as tightly wound as the GFS but it looks like we're heading toward a different solution this run.

Something is there worth watching...and given the last couple of days of model runs that's all we can ask for. 

I have to believe that we just need more of that vort to remain progressive and less of it get left behind and we could be in business. Like you said that's all we can ask for at this point.

@156 snow in ATL. Looks like it would probably be sleet. 

Special Sun. therapy session for N. Georgians; Fwiw, the clown does show 1-1.5" of snow accumulation in the ATL-AHN corridor area. Temp.'s fall right to near 28 as of 7 PM on 1/24 but then rises to near 32 (I assume partially due to increased clouds.) That's pretty cold considering the warm bias of the Euro. It snows between 1 AM and 7 AM Sat. 1/25. The thing that I don't like about it is there no high to the north. I consider this only a low probability event as of now but I'll be following it and hoping.

Edit: definitely cold enough for snow ATL-AHN at 850, too, with 850's falling from +1 C to ~-1 to -2 C with the precip. due to evap. cooling. This would obviously be a significant event for this corridor if it were to actually verify like this as 1" of S/IP is near the median. It would also be the heaviest snow there since Jan. of 2011! But alas, we're talking something that is 156 hours out.

Also, this run continues the trend of being far colder than the GFs late in the 6-10. Furthermore, it still shows no sign of the complete breakdown of western US ridging. :)

Special Sun. therapy session for N. Georgians; Fwiw, the clown does show 1-1.5" of snow accumulation in the ATL-AHN corridor area. Temp.'s fall right to near 28 as of 7 PM on 1/24 but then rises to near 32 (I assume partially due to increased clouds.) That's pretty cold considering the warm bias of the Euro. It snows between 1 AM and 7 AM Sat. 1/25. The thing that I don't like about it is there no high to the north. I consider this only a low probability event as of now but I'll be following it and hoping.

Edit: definitely cold enough for snow ATL-AHN at 850, too, with 850's falling from +1 C to ~-1 to -2 C with the precip. due to evap. cooling. This would obviously be a significant event for this corridor if it were to actually verify like this as 1" of S/IP is near the median. It would also be the heaviest snow there since Jan. of 2011! But alas, we're talking something that is 156 hours out.

Also, this run continues the trend of being far colder than the GFs late in the 6-10. Furthermore, it still shows no sign of the complete breakdown of western US ridging. :)

how much does it show for the Carrollton to Anniston corridor ?

how much does it show for the Carrollton to Anniston corridor ?

A very nice 1.5 to 2"! So, your area would get a bit more than Atlanta.

By the way, be wary of the WeatherBell clown. It is showing almost twice as much snow as my provider is showing. I generally ignore those since they tend to overdo snowfall.

Archived