Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z Euro ensemble same time period

and you wonder why we're seeing a textbook Miller A on this run? Don't hug models, whether you're a pessimist or an optimist, you should try to sniff out the bigger picture. I'm willing to bet people who were thinking "NO snow outside of the mountains for the rest of the winter" are excited about the 12z GFS now.

Jon you are quickly becoming one of the better posters here. Seriously keep posting. 

14 out of 50 of the euro ensembles show a snow of greater than 3" at HKY through 240. 10 out of 50 for Gastonia and Charlotte. 9 out of 50 for Raleigh. Almost all of them have accumulating snow. Impressive deal there.

Very impressive. With the overall pattern in the LR it's hard to argue against widespread snow in NC at the very least.

Jon you are quickly becoming one of the better posters here. Seriously keep posting. 

Thanks! I'm trying. Once I actually have to start studying boring pharmacology and stop model watching (first exam Tuesday) I'll have to cut back a bit, but I'm going to try and keep up, I need my hobby to stay sane. Unfortunately can't stick around for 00z Euro PBP I'll have to read yours in the morning when I wake up!

Agreed burger! Appreciate you too my friend.

Ditto! Burger and Jon, you have become two of our most valued posters. You have both been great contributors this year.

Thanks guys :)

I agree with the above. I really appreciate the input from Jon, Burger, Franklin, and others. We've got a lot of great contributors in this forum, and it's through their efforts that we get insight into data that's not publicly available, while learning a little something along the way. Hats off, fellas. Much appreciated. :)

Personally, the upcoming pattern looks more cold and dry-ish to me instead of cold and wintry.  No -NAO is still going to be a problem.  If the flow relaxes along the east coast allowing a storm to come out of the southern plains, you likely lose the cold air and areas to our northwest get hit...if the flow doesn't relax, it stays cold and dry-ish...let's see what happens though.

Looking at the GFS and Euro Ensembles, my thoughts remain the same.  Having a hard time seeing how we marry storm with cold in this -EPO/+PNA pattern.  -AO with stronger ridging working up over the pole on the Euro Ens, but NAO remains neutral to positive on both ensembles.  Getting a negative NAO setup would change things, but it's not showing up in the ensemble means.  A Manitoba Mauler type storm (strong clipper) looks like our best shot overall.  Step one is getting some cold air in here though, which has been a big struggle the last 2 winters.

I'm watching for some protrusions of moisture out of the gulf into Ala and Ga instead of dry dry.  I've heard dry for 10 days recently and had 4 rains for nearly 3 1/2 inches, lol.  I also heard torch winter, so I think hunches are helpful, and I've got a hunch about what'll be going one underneath while it is "dry". I know the only torch I've seen was 60 something back in mid Dec.  and I've had more rain this winter, in big gulps, than I did in the summer when the rest of you were begging for it to stop :) I like this winter!  A lot. T

Yep, question will be SFC temps.

With -5 to -12 at 850 and cold air already sort of in place, I really have trouble believing that we'll have any significant BL problems if there's enough precip for the storm to be halfway interesting. Also, taken per batum, the GFS has temps AOB freezing at the surface for this storm. That's with this weak, suppressed scenario. If it ends up any stronger, it has a vast pool of cold air to tap into.

Instead of very cold with wintry threats, the 0Z GFS giveth many highs in the 60's and 70's 1/28-31! This runs shows how vulnerable the pattern is to changing quickly though I'm quite confident it is way too warm. We'll see. I must admit it would be pretty funny if it occurred after all of the historic cold forecast data. At least brick wouldn't have cold and dry lol.

Instead of very cold with wintry threats, the 0Z GFS giveth many highs in the 60's and 70's 1/28-31! This runs shows how vulnerable the pattern is to changing quickly though I'm quite confident it is way too warm. We'll see. I must admit it would be pretty funny if it occurred after all of the historic cold forecast data. At least brick wouldn't have cold and dry lol.

I just can't believe any run that has a 40-50 degree temperature change than the runs over the past few days before hand. The GFS did this a couple weeks ago too, according to that run on a Thursday night, we should be torching next week. It also did a big flip leading into the mega cold one night, showing temps 30-40 degrees warmer than it had been showing, but the cold turned out to be the right call, as it went back to it quickly.

That said, it technically could play out just like the GFS just showed. It just seems unlikely to me.

Saw some discussion in here and in the banter thread about the OPI

The value for the OPI at the end of October was +1.6.  The official AO forecast from the OPI group for Dec-Feb ("the winter quarter") was "near +1.0 or above"

I just averaged the daily AO values for Dec 1 - Jan 17.  That value came out to +0.74.  So, as of Jan 17, the OPI AO forecast of "near +1.0 or above" is off, but not way off.

Having said that, the AO is forecast on the Euro and GFS Ensembles to be negative for at least the next 7 days.

Archived