Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you elaborate?

For a good example look at a GFS run which has a storm exiting off the coast at 189...once it hits truncation mysteriously it will explode with moisture all over us (sounds dirty) at hour 192. Anything past that is just guess work and shouldn't be taken at face value. However it typically does give a good indication of overall flow and what's possible. 

Split flow showing up on the GFS now within truncation.  Finally some real southern stream action in the mix?

Yes and a cutoff shows up day 6/7 off the coast of CA that does eject right at truncation, this does argue for a big storm down the road for someone, it's hard to imagine this staying far enough south for us though, unless it turns into a week overrunning low, but with all the NS stream energy it's going to be hard not to phase and end up tracking to our west or a miller B.  I imagine the NE is salivating over this run.

For a good example look at a GFS run which has a storm exiting off the coast at 189...once it hits truncation mysteriously it will explode with moisture all over us (sounds dirty) at hour 192. Anything past that is just guess work and shouldn't be taken at face value. However it typically does give a good indication of overall flow and what's possible. 

Haha!  Good one, Burger.

I want to throw this out to everyone just to get some opinions...

Overnight I threw the suggestion out there that I would start an Arctic Attack II Thread and I think I will go ahead and start that before I leave out for the evening.

My question to everyone...Should snow discussion during that timeframe also be added to the discussion or do you guys prefer to keep it strictly temps?

Overnight I threw the suggestion out there that I would start an Arctic Attack II Thread and I think I will go ahead and start that before I leave out for the evening.

My question to everyone...Should snow discussion during that timeframe also be added to the discussion or do you guys prefer to keep it strictly temps?

Ugh.  This could get tricky.  I'm with you about the thread.  However, unlike last time, it looks like we will have legit winter weather threats during this time period.  I think those threats will be discussed in this Pattern thread until we are within about 4-5 days.  Then we are going to have a Pattern thread, Storm thread, Cold thread, Obs thread.  I'm not sure what will be the best thing to do....

My vote is for temp.'s only like last time. It is too early for any particular storm threat anyway. Besides, assuming the extreme cold materializes again, there won't be a shortage  of posts about it as it would affect nearly everyone.

I think we should talk about storms especially because they are more possible this go around. Then if a particular storm starts to get focused on we create a thread for that.

12z GFS sure does look cold.  Saw one day with a high of 16 and a low of -3.  I know we shouldn't look at specifics but it seems that it warms up just enough to rain with the storms shown before turning even colder afterwards.  Am I missing something?  I guess with this type of pattern our odds of hitting are increased.

Archived