amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's confusing in here. Some saying GFS looks great in the long run, others saying not too exciting and more of the same?? Which is it?

I gotcha man:

The first image is the warmest period, post truncation, of the run (276 hrs).  The second image is the coldest (240 hrs).  There are no literal fantasy storms shown.  The pattern is not a great snow pattern, but like has already been said, something could pop up at some point.

post-987-0-03310000-1389633083_thumb.gif

post-987-0-79206700-1389633118_thumb.gif

It's confusing in here. Some saying GFS looks great in the long run, others saying not too exciting and more of the same?? Which is it?

:lol:  Without blocking it's not gonna mean a whole lot unless you like what we have had lately, but it does throw out a teaser around the 22nd that will probably be gone with the next run. I've said it 1000 x's...not believing anything until I see some blocking ;) 

From my perspective, I don't see how it couldn't be considered exciting just because of the incredibly persistent intense cold, alone. If this run comes close to verifying, we could be looking at the coldest January since 1985 in some areas of the SE!

From my perspective, I don't see how it couldn't be considered exciting just because of the incredibly persistent intense cold, alone. If this run comes close to verifying, we could be looking at the coldest January since 1985 in some areas of the SE!

I agree, and we can still get some snow from such a pattern, but it would be great if we could get the NAO to cooperate with everything else going on. Still, it should be a fun period with at least a few clippers, assuming the pattern evolves as depicted.

See to me that's like the ultimate TEASE that would just tick me off....who wants a huge peanut butter sandwich...with no jelly.  Brickish I know, but so it goes.  Not interested in anymore record dry cold. 

Probably change at 18z anyway. 

:lol:  Without blocking it's not gonna mean a whole lot unless you like what we have had lately, but it does throw out a teaser around the 22nd that will probably be gone with the next run. I've said it 1000 x's...not believing anything until I see some blocking ;)

Although not impossible, even here in Middle TN it's tough to get a significant snowstorm without a -NAO.  Since 1950, only 4 out of 13 (31%) Nashville snowstorms of 6" or more came with a +NAO.  I didn't dig much deeper into snows under 6" but I imagine with a similar pattern to what we have showing up, there's a lot of nickel and dime events from clippers.  Winters like this year really make you appreciate some ATL blocking....

I second this question and observation. Geezzzz

I third that.  I just read three post that the GFS looks better, much wetter and gives some a good hit of snow   Read another post that says its not a good hit, which is it guys?

The GFS basically shows a very cold, northern stream dominated period (out to 240hrs). There could be a few clippers which drop through the SE. I think it's a fairly promising pattern. First, you need the cold.  Beats the past couple of winters....

That's my entire point! Cold is step one. Step two, you cut a hole in the box, of course. 

That's my entire point! Cold is step one. Step two, you cut a hole in the box, of course. 

I've seen that video and I'd rather not have it given as a present  :P    

I can't see myself even trying to get excited over a clipper, even if it's on steroids, because imby it never works out. For those just to my north and west it's a different story and I wish you all a TON of luck/moisture as these roll threw :hug:  

Not only that, but the Atlantic has some ridging in Greenland from hour 144 through the end of the run. If the day 10 euro is correct, winter would soon be rocking in the SE.

Let's rock. The GFS Ens members on eWall look cold as well. There isn't much ridging there in the NAO space, but the PNA stands firm.

OK, question time for me.  Why do we desperately need a -NAO block go get a good snow? My guess is that it would allow a potential storm more time to develop before it gets out of the SE.  It just seems as if we should still have opportunities with such a tall ridge in the west.  All of the energy seems to want to head due east out of the Rockies instead of digging for the gulf.  Would a -NAO help systems dig further out west too?  

I'll admit a little frustration with us having a pattern that has been both very wet and very cold, but has yet to produce much winter weather.

OK, question time for me.  Why do we desperately need a -NAO block go get a good snow? My guess is that it would allow a potential storm more time to develop before it gets out of the SE.  It just seems as if we should still have opportunities with such a tall ridge in the west.  All of the energy seems to want to head due east out of the Rockies instead of digging for the gulf.  Would a -NAO help systems dig further out west too?  

I'll admit a little frustration with us having a pattern that has been both very wet and very cold, but has yet to produce much winter weather.

Very wet OR very cold. The problem has been getting both at the same time.

Archived