• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

I like the subtle differences at 500mb between the 00z and 12z Euro runs.  Lead wave dampened out just a bit.  Also there is slightly better upstream ridging.

I'd still play my cards conservative as well.  1-3" with the caveat that if we can see the low develop just a hair earlier and S of LI we cash in.

The 2 lows are a dampener so hopefully it doesn't happen that way.

GEFS look decent.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the subtle differences at 500mb between the 00z and 12z Euro runs.  Lead wave dampened out just a bit.  Also there is slightly better upstream ridging.

I'd still play my cards conservative as well.  1-3" with the caveat that if we can see the low develop just a hair earlier and S of LI we cash in.

I think 1-3 is the safe play for a couple of reasons.  One surface temps down here, two uncertainty on the waves.  There's that tug that you're talking about and that's usually the models not resolving the situation.  Hopefully that resets with the 0z tonight.  Plenty of time to adjust up or down.

Here is my map I just made.  I like 4-6'' in the area I have highlighted as I really like what models are showing for lift across these areas.  The GFS/Euro really have some pretty nice VV's traverse this area and with steepening mid-level lapse rates and increasing moisture, I really think there could be a period of heavier snowfall across this area...perhaps almost convective in nature.  Higher snowfall ratios will be a plus as well.

firstcallsnowmap_zps15712def.jpg

Wiz nice map....I'm not ready to go that aggressive but it's not terribly unreasonable if the low develops.

Has anyone looked at the JMA? 

;)

Hey this beats the last several years we have threats every few days for someone to hype and someone to toss a flag.  Everybody wins!  It could be so much worse we all could be cowboys fans.

Wiz nice map....I'm not ready to go that aggressive but it's not terribly unreasonable if the low develops.

Has anyone looked at the JMA? 

;)

Hey this beats the last several years we have threats every few days for someone to hype and someone to toss a flag.  Everybody wins!  It could be so much worse we all could be cowboys fans.

Thanks!

This seems like a scenario where eastern MA would jackpot, especially if that low can really strengthen early enough which seems quite plausible.  If that trough digging in becomes a bit more amplified that what's shown which there is definitely room for, that will further enhance the s/w and also increase moisture.  

I really liked the VV's being spit out by the GFS/Euro and I like the really steep mid-level lapse rates.  

Thanks!

This seems like a scenario where eastern MA would jackpot, especially if that low can really strengthen early enough which seems quite plausible.  If that trough digging in becomes a bit more amplified that what's shown which there is definitely room for, that will further enhance the s/w and also increase moisture.  

I really liked the VV's being spit out by the GFS/Euro and I like the really steep mid-level lapse rates.  

Thanks for the map, Paul.  I don't recall you posted accum maps in the past--good to have your thoughts on these.  If I'm able to get in access of 2", I'll consider this a positive bust.:)  I

There is a critical difference between 12/30/93 and this deal for late Tuesday.  I mentioned this earlier ... and now the analog provides a perfect example.  

12/30/93 has an active baroclinic axis and even zygote cyclone(s) embedded along, extending from the lower Apps to off the lower MA.  This can be seen here:

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/dwm/1993/19931227-19940102.djvu

The mid level flow tipped more NE off the MA in response to the stressing of the N-stream impulse on the medium as it approached the EC; this drew the axis/cyclone up to where it could be captured by the N-stream and there's your boom.  

This system for latter Tuesday does not have this pre-existing feature(s) in the SE, prior to the N-stream amplitude passing near-by.  I mentioned earlier that the baroclinicity has been swept seaward by last night's event...  Whatever transpires Tuesday will be entirely N-stream.   Keep in mind, best analog does not mean "good" analog.  The only similarity I really see there is the orientation of the N-stream.   But ... it doesn't say much as to the speed of the flow, respectively.  I suspect the Tuesday is more energetic than the 1993 event, because it is negatively tilted as it torques the atm into a pre-wave break.   If you look at the link above, that trough back when was neutrally oriented.   

Just some notes...

John

Archived