joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CMC look great for SNE.  With cold mid-levels I suspect there could be intersection of good lift with the max snow growth zone too.  I suspect this could get even tighter.  H5 is a bit convoluted on the CMC (and to an extent on other guidance) with multiple areas of s/w vorticity.  If that consolidates there probably could be a slower progression of the slp and a little more wraparound at 500mb - 800mb or so.  But the same factors probably mean this could just as easily trend worse.

yeah that's pretty much the evolution E/SE folks need

Cool. Right now, guidance has cooled.  The GFS has 2m temps in the low 20s right now.  NAM is substantially warmer, gets me up to freezing and the Euro is in between.  A lot of that is precip and intensity driven.  If we can get this thing to develop more S of us, I would feel confident on an advisory level snowfall, 2-4".  If not, than we are left with -sn/ra that does not accumulate.  See what the Euro shows very shortly.

This system is timed perfectly to alleviate post-partem fall of storm withdrawal ...  4 pages almost at the moment the snow stops falling - classic!  haha  oh man.  

We're in a nickle-dime pattern.  Last night was dime, maybe we get a nickle.  

fyi - we take 'em one at a time, but if anyone wants to start a thread for bigger xmass system, it's pretty well signaled in the tele's 

FWIW.

NCEP Model Discussion from this AM

...SHORTWAVE SPURRING CYCLOGENESIS OFFSHORE OF NEW ENGLAND TUE NIGHT/WED... PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 06Z GFS WITH 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN THE PREFERENCE HERE WAS A LITTLE SIMPLER ON THE 00Z CYCLE. SINCE THEN THE NAM AND GFS HAVE TRENDED FASTER. THE NAM IS SO MUCH FASTER THAT IT CAN ALMOST BE TOSSED AS AN OUTLIER. BUT SINCE THE GFS IS ALSO SHOWING THIS TREND IT CANNOT BE COMPLETELY IGNORED. THEREFORE...WENT WITH AN INITIAL PREFERENCE TOWARD SOLUTIONS THAT ARE A LITTLE FASTER AND MORE SUPPRESSED SOUTHWARD RELATIVE TO THE 00Z GFS/ECMWF/UKMET OPERATIONAL SOLUTIONS. WE ALSO NOTE THAT THE 06Z GFS WAS NICELY REPRESENTATIVE OF THE 06Z GEFS MEAN WHICH LOOKS TO BE A GOOD MIDDLE GROUND. HOPEFULLY THE TRENDS WILL BE BETTER APPARENT WHEN THE FULL 12Z SUITE IS AVAILABLE.

yes on the V-max track please

Looking at H5, you'd expect it be printing out more. But I think the boundary layer baroclinic zone gets a bit shot from that front running wave...kind of wierd. Its what the GFS was doing yesterday.

We either want the fronti running wave to be the dominant one or not exist at all IMHO.

Looking at H5, you'd expect it be printing out more. But I think the boundary layer baroclinic zone gets a bit shot from that front running wave...kind of wierd. Its what the GFS was doing yesterday.

We either want the fronti running wave to be the dominant one or not exist at all IMHO.

yeah the GFS actually runs with the front one...the euro sort of takes that first piece of energy north and then tries with the second area of pva

i'd still take my chances with that kind of energy running out S of SNE like that

Archived