joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised to see a much more amped solution, one that favors the NAM track over the GFS track.  This is going to be a vigorous trough with two embedded shortwaves in which tilt the trough negatively.  This has over achiever in many ways written all over it. A stronger surface low and 850mb low the better inflow from the Atlantic.  The trough's first disturbance is centered over Saskatchewan, Canada right now and is beginning to dive southeastward, it is quite vigorous currently.  I'm in Buffalo, NY for my grandfather's funeral, and hopefully make it home on tuesday ahead of the storm.  Its supposed to start snowing here in BUF around 18z Monday, 1-2" expected here.

Thanks for the map, Paul. I don't recall you posted accum maps in the past--good to have your thoughts on these. If I'm able to get in access of 2", I'll consider this a positive bust.:) I

Usually I'll post maps in a separate thread so the thread won't be derailed by getting clogged with questions and such.

Typically I wouldn't be so bullish with a clipper but the air mass in place will give great ratios and as mentioned I really like the lift associated

It's so cold that any moisture thrown into this airmass is efficiently converted to snow, so that is good. Second s/w looks interesting to me.

Question on that 2nd s/w

I know in the summer months sometimes when we have two s/w like that we get s/w subsidence and it kills storm threat later on. Does that apply in these situations as well?

I was thinking it doesn't so that had my interest b/c it could help to kengthen precip over the region.

Question on that 2nd s/w

I know in the summer months sometimes when we have two s/w like that we get s/w subsidence and it kills storm threat later on. Does that apply in these situations as well?

I was thinking it doesn't so that had my interest b/c it could help to kengthen precip over the region.

Well when you have s/w interference..many times what happens is that the first s/w utilizes the avialable baroclinic energy and forms a low. Even if it's a weak low...byt the time the second s/w comes around..many times that baroclinic zone is kicked off to the east so you are left with an inv trough or not much at all. In this case, the first s/w weakens and the second one digs. Plenty of juice aviable for the low now with the second s/w thanks to a weaker first s/w.

Well when you have s/w interference..many times what happens is that the first s/w utilizes the avialable baroclinic energy and forms a low. Even if it's a weak low...byt the time the second s/w comes around..many times that baroclinic zone is kicked off to the east so you are left with an inv trough or not much at all. In this case, the first s/w weakens and the second one digs. Plenty of juice aviable for the low now with the second s/w thanks to a weaker first s/w.

Oh wow thanks! I was never really able to understand this process but now I do! This is really a fantastic explanation!

Archived