Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 17th Clipper Discussion

ORH_wxman

? I thought the euro wasn't that good.

The Euro stinks from my past experience on these sort of systems in regards to QPF, it tends to do okay on tracks but is usually dry...I'm not 100% but I think pure northern stream disturbances the GFS is usually a better model, if you have interaction between the NRN and SRN streams the Euro is better

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ch 10 news called for a change to rain for all of CC/ SE MA/ RI with temp going up to 40F.  This was based off the latest computer models they said?  I was like, what model shows 40F Tues?

Maybe there is a slightly above 0c layer just above the surface, 925-950mb, but not sure where they are getting the surface temps that warm.

I cannot remember a really good clipper...even better than the one after the blizzard which was only four inches around here....since back in the winter of 89-90! I remember some when I was a kid back in the early 80s that were impressive as well (6 to ten)....

noyes only calling for two to four most of sne

HPC says all models except NAM preferred.  LOL.

DEEP CYCLONE DEVELOPING NEAR NEW ENGLAND WED ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PREFERENCE: NON-NAM COMPROMISE CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE THE GUIDANCE SHOWS SOME TIMING ISSUES WITH THE PROGRESSION AND DEPTH OF THIS SYSTEM ALOFT, THOUGH THEIR SURFACE PATTERNS HAVE COME INTO BETTER AGREEMENT. THE 00Z NAM IS BY FAR THE STRONGEST HERE, WHICH IS ONE OF ITS BIASES 2-3 DAYS INTO THE FUTURE, SO DO NOT WISH TO PLAY UP ITS SOLUTION. WHILE THIS SYSTEM IS MOVING ALONG QUICKLY, RIDGING EAST OF ATLANTIC CANADA SHOULD BLOCK EASTWARD MOTION TO SOME DEGREE. A NON-NAM COMPROMISE IS PREFERRED WITH AVERAGE CONFIDENCE CONSIDERING ITS PROGRESSIVE NATURE.

Boy strolling through twitter this morning I saw WBZ and FOX with a good sized 3-6 swath from Worcester points north and east.  

Is everybody riding the SREF, NAM, & RPM with this one?  

I know this clipper is going to bomb once it sniffs the coasts, but I don't think I could go more than 2-4 with this one.  The Maine coastline should make out pretty well however.  Maybe Cape Ann and the New Hampshire seacoast can get in on the fun.

Boy strolling through twitter this morning I saw WBZ and FOX with a good sized 3-6 swath from Worcester points north and east.  

Is everybody riding the SREF, NAM, & RPM with this one?  

I know this clipper is going to bomb once it sniffs the coasts, but I don't think I could go more than 2-4 with this one.  The Maine coastline should make out pretty well however.  Maybe Cape Ann and the New Hampshire seacoast can get in on the fun.

with arctic air present, clippers can produce 5 inches of snow on .2qpf

09z SREFs are out.  Mean SLP is from S of W end of LI over to CHH.  Strenghens from 1012 to 1008mb in that time.  Pretty juice too.  0.50" contour over LI/ Extreme SCT RI/ SE MA/ CC.  What I like is it has this feasture fingering back into SNE which, to me, is indicative of E inflow off the Atlantic around the circulation.  For the other folks, the 0.25" contour gets all the way up to NNE.

Probably not much, but just enough to slow the progression a few hours.  Having that trailer s/wdig further S is helping this whole thing out(if correct)

Could this work as a quasi capture scenario at all

I heard this mentioned cpl days ago but not since

Not really.  I just see the trailer s/w dropping S enough to enhance the lead wave a bit over E areas.  This is from ME right down to CC.

NAM is pretty good. would likely flip to rain for a time out here, but then flip back over to snow. not before a pretty solid front end 3 to 4" though...and maybe a little enhancement at the end.

I wonder if the RGEM is onto something with this system.  IE, is this second s/w going to be enough to almost slow the system down and drag it maybe a little further north. 

It isn't far from slowing for several hours in a prime position but as it is now 1-3" and coastal NH and ME cash in again.

NAM is pretty good. would likely flip to rain for a time out here, but then flip back over to snow. not before a pretty solid front end 3 to 4" though...and maybe a little enhancement at the end.

I thought it looked ok as well.  Nothing spectacular.  TTs get up to 56.3 at TAN.  Little instability in there.

Archived