Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/13 - 11/16 Potential Storm Threat

user13

Guest Imperator

They are transient features. But there is a ridge in Western Canada and ULL in SE Canada, 24-48hrs before the storm.

Is this a 10/29/11 type situation?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe our perspective has been tainted by the events of the last few years, but just keep in mind how rare a mid November snowstorm would be for this area. I guess it's possible (although again, I would say the pattern doesn't support it), but it's much more unlikely than likely. Well inland areas would be much more favored, and at high elevations.

6z is way less amplified than the 0z run. The coast gets brushed by the coastal.

less amplified ? it is so amplified it drives the storm too far south and east that the coastal areas of the Del Marva get heavy snow - which seems unlikely this early in November in fact the NAO index forecast  does not support it

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2013110706/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us.html

Maybe our perspective has been tainted by the events of the last few years, but just keep in mind how rare a mid November snowstorm would be for this area. I guess it's possible (although again, I would say the pattern doesn't support it), but it's much more unlikely than likely. Well inland areas would be much more favored, and at high elevations.

Disagree. Cold.air isn't the issue. The issue is the flow. Its either ots or a snow bomb. Cutter isn't happening. There is cold air a plenty. And.climo should be tossed. Look at past two years

Disagree. Cold.air isn't the issue. The issue is the flow. Its either ots or a snow bomb. Cutter isn't happening. There is cold air a plenty. And.climo should be tossed. Look at past two years

It would take a hugely anomalous upper air low and major lift/VVs to get heavy accumulating snow down to sea level this time of the year. It can be hard enough well inland and over 1000 feet to get accumulating snow this time of year.

It's possible but I would say the pattern doesn't argue that strongly for it.

One thing we have going for us is with the perfect track there is plenty of juice and energy available for this storm because of the cold air interacting with a still very warm Atlantic BUT the pattern has to amp perfectly with a perfect track which is not likely especially since the NAO index forecast is not supporting it YET

It would take a hugely anomalous upper air low and major lift/VVs to get heavy accumulating snow down to sea level this time of the year. It can be hard enough well inland and over 1000 feet to get accumulating snow this time of year.

Huh? I got 9 inches of snow a year ago today. It can happen. Not that tough. I understand long beach sucks for snow but the cold air is canada is very impressive. Keep an eye on that source.

One thing we have going for us is with the perfect track there is plenty of juice and energy available for this storm because of the cold air interacting with a still very warm Atlantic BUT the pattern has to amp perfectly with a perfect track which is not likely especially since the NAO index forecast is not supporting it YET

Agreed.

Isn't that what people were saying Oct 2011 and Nov of last year? Yet we still managed accumulating snow here in the city. Point is, just about anything can happen with the weather, and sometimes it does. Interesting to watch how this scenario will play out over the next few days.

Isn't that what people were saying Oct 2011 and Nov of last year? Yet we still managed accumulating snow here in the city. Point is, just about anything can happen with the weather, and sometimes it does. Interesting to watch how this scenario will play out over the next few days.

Those airmasses were borderline as well, I should say last year's was, the October 2011 air mass was very cold but it was only October, 11/13 is vastly different than October, each week at this time of year astronomically increases the chances for snow at the coast in a borderline setup.  The GFS shows -9 850s with strong CAA, that would easily be cold enough for snow with moderate-heavy precip rates in mid November.

we are in a cycle that has early season snowfalls...there have been other times when NYC got early snowfalls in a short period of years...1952 had some snow in October and 1953 had snow in early November...1955 had snow in mid November...it wouldn't surprise me to see another early snowfall but with the predicted storm still a long ways from here I'm not running for milk and eggs yet...

We got between 6 and 9 inches of snow last year a week earlier in an airmass that was not anywhere near as cold as the one progged. I don't think it's that difficult. It's just that cold air is never around this time of year making a snow scenario very unlikely. 

The only way we can get a big snowstorm in here or any storm for that matter is if that cut off low forms over the TN Valley. Without that it's game, set, match. The 12z GFS looks like the 00z GGEM.

I guess it's a possibility but it's hard to go against the Euro, especially when it has decent ensemble support.

The danger with these Pacific dominated blocking patterns is that things get going too late like

Christmas 1989. But it will be interesting to see what the Euro comes up with later. The

0z ensembles were east of the OP.

attachicon.gif122318.png

How are the sea surface temps compared to a year ago when we got an early snow?  We all know that this time of year, those temps can be the difference between rain and snow for NYC.

How are the sea surface temps compared to a year ago when we got an early snow?  We all know that this time of year, those temps can be the difference between rain and snow for NYC.

The near shore waters are cooler this year, but this will come down to track.

The only way we can get a big snowstorm in here or any storm for that matter is if that cut off low forms over the TN Valley. Without that it's game, set, match. The 12z GFS looks like the 00z GGEM.

I guess it's a possibility but it's hard to go against the Euro, especially when it has decent ensemble support.

I can easily go against the euro at this range. In fact, I think the risk is more east as opposed to coming up the coast. However, it's certainly on the table at this stage.

With shorter wave lengths , I can see what the Euro sees . The GFS does love to rush everything east time to time .

In fairness the GFS was the first to catch this but sometimes the GFS sees it early and loses it in the mid range .

If we were in a long wave pattern I would easily  be in the whiff camp .

The ECMWF saw this first at the 0z run on Tuesday, then lost it, then brought it back this morning.  

With shorter wave lengths , I can see what the Euro sees . The GFS does love to rush everything east time to time .

In fairness the GFS was the first to catch this but sometimes the GFS sees it early and loses it in the mid range .

If we were in a long wave pattern I would easily  be in the whiff camp .

Archived