joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/13 - 11/16 Potential Storm Threat

user13

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cutoff low cuts off too far south. This can actually be tied back to the progressive pattern. Despite the ridge being amplified, the fast nature of the pattern upstream of it forces it to move east quickly and become unstable. This causes the top of it to break like a wave, forcing the energy to slide more underneath it and pinch off instead of moving east. This is why it cuts off to the south instead of to the east. 

So ironically, a further west solution can still mean a progressive pattern -- although this is more south and west. 

The Euro continues to read the shorter wave lenghts thats allows this to get trapped and not

slip out .

The datails RIAN / SNOW  are a long way for me to worry about , but I take this a positive that the Euro likes the capture option.

which sounds a hellvua a lot more realistic.

Not really. The Euro and the GFS are now more than 1000 miles apart on a track with a storm less than 7 days out. This 12z run is actually a more extreme version of it's 00z run. That coastal takes a very long time to get its act together and then takes a long time to come north. It's quite possible that the high to the north is being moved out to quickly.

I'll take a nice storm if the Euro is right, it would be impressive to see snow so far south though in mid November. Any snow before mid December is rare and a gift so I wouldn't expect it. I suppose it's not a bad thing that the Euro is the westernmost solutions while the gfs is the easternmost, which would favor something in the middle perhaps. 

I'll gladly take a nice soaking rainstorm though, at least it would break the pattern finally. Whether it happens or not is still to be determined. 

The cutoff low cuts off too far south. This can actually be tied back to the progressive pattern. Despite the ridge being amplified, the fast nature of the pattern upstream of it forces it to move east quickly and become unstable. This causes the top of it to break like a wave, forcing the energy to slide more underneath it and pinch off instead of moving east. This is why it cuts off to the south instead of to the east. 

So ironically, a further west solution can still mean a progressive pattern -- although this is more south and west. 

What remains of the ridge over SE Canada is also giving the cut-off more room upstream to amplify. The ridge is just too progressive for us on this run, if you want snow.

16748eg.jpg

Archived