joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/13 - 11/16 Potential Storm Threat

user13

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the Euro is just headed toward the other OTS solutions. They could all bring it back...but this 0Z fantasy I-95 snowstorm is most likely a one run mirage and at 12Z it is even further east.

That could be possible. The one thing that we know is that there will be enough cold air if there is a storm.

Seems like the Euro is just headed toward the other OTS solutions. They could all bring it back...but this 0Z fantasy I-95 snowstorm is most likely a one run mirage and at 12Z it is even further east.

huh? it isn't a one run mirage on the Euro, it is the third straight run to have a big storm.  

Yea, if tomorrow 12z run still has a similar solution I will start to become bullish and start to look for other models to join the euro

- the ensembles and control should hint at the 12z run

If it were January, this would have at least a 10% higher chance of verifying.

im not sure i agree, at least given the current depiction of this storm on the various models.   The issue (and of course this can change) now seems to be an OTS solution, rather than a temperature problem.

It's trended a couple hundred miles east though.   I wouldn't be shocked though it it came back to a more amplified solution though with 5-6 days to go.

yeah it definitely did trend east, with 5 days to go, who knows how this will end up, but it would be nice if the Euro had some support...

This pattern is very convoluted with all of this ridge wave breaking in the Pacific. It's not your typical ridge-trough-ridge-trough type of pattern. This will cause lots of chaos in the models as any small nuance in the wave breaking can have all sorts of downstream effects -- it may take several times of comparing each Euro run at 500mb to really see the differences, but once you do, you realize how important every little feature is and how one small tick can greatly affect a surface depiction.

It would be nice to have had some blocking to increase the room for error so to speak...it's going to be hard to slow down the flow enough for this to work out. 

In this range the Euro had NO support from ANY other model with Sandy and many other storms.  The Euro does not need support from any other model.  Of course it would make our forecasting lives easier, but time and again the Euro has proven why it does not need support.  Of course it can be wrong this time, but as I stated last night, I expected a significant shift east based upon what I have been seeing with the control run of the model leading the way.  The Euro has been following the lead of the control run on the past two runs.  The prior control run showed a perfect track and I expected such when the next run came out.  Will it happen?  The chances are obviously against it, but so were they for most of the super big storms we got including Sandy.  So right now, blizzard or nothing.  What else is new?  I remember in this range it was the meteorologists on TV saying, "we have only one model with the storm coming inland and 11 eleven with it going out to sea, so it isn't going to happen".  Yeah.  

yeah it definitely did trend east, with 5 days to go, who knows how this will end up, but it would be nice if the Euro had some support...

Wow.  Did you forget Sandy already?  Sure, the chances are minimal.  But wow.  Or how about Boxing Day?  This situation is reminiscent of both in many ways.  Of course it may not happen but we surely need to keep an eye on it.  The Euro has clobbered us now on three straight runs with this storm in one form or other and it started hinting on it already 3 days ago.  Meanwhile with every major storm I can ever remember, including Sandy, all of the other models saw the storms being WAY too far out to sea but the Euro saw the close to shore track.  I would put my money on the Euro if I were betting.  Sure it may be wrong, but that would be the safer bet even if it has NO other model support.   

And the chances of this happening? You do see how volatile the situation is with regards to the various solutions. They are constantly changing and if there's a trend, the Euro will take this OTS by this time tomorrow night or Saturday 12Z.

WX/PT

Another interesting thing on the euro is absence of any real warm up. Best we do is high 50's prior to next cold front around day 10, which again brings in some arctic air. Looks like at or below is the theme with brief warm ups through the forecast period

Yeah, all those posts a week ago about warmth this week and next week shot dead again. Could this be the theme of the winter?

The GFS seems more logical at this point given the NAO index still being forecast  positive next week then it starts tanking after the 15th. BUT who knows that NAO forecast might change later today and we have had major snowstorms in NYC in November so it is possible.

Also arctic air can make it into the area with a very positive AO check out next weeks AO forecast

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

What is kind of interesting though is the EURO solution when all 3 major indicies are against a major east coast storm here is the negative PNA outlook

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/pna.sprd2.gif

Maybe some MET here can explain all of this - is it the negative EPO alone ?

Wow.  Did you forget Sandy already?  Sure, the chances are minimal.  But wow.  Or how about Boxing Day?  This situation is reminiscent of both in many ways.  Of course it may not happen but we surely need to keep an eye on it.  The Euro has clobbered us now on three straight runs with this storm in one form or other and it started hinting on it already 3 days ago.  Meanwhile with every major storm I can ever remember, including Sandy, all of the other models saw the storms being WAY too far out to sea but the Euro saw the close to shore track.  I would put my money on the Euro if I were betting.  Sure it may be wrong, but that would be the safer bet even if it has NO other model support.   

I salute you.

Archived