joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/13 - 11/16 Potential Storm Threat

user13

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All we are doing is offering our opinion. When each one of us is throwing an opinion casting doubts on the storm...there are reasons why. Not sure why it's frowned upon to say that the chances of snow are bleak.

The last two years have spoiled people into thinking November snows are anything but extremely unlikely.

And what good is that? It's November, it shouldn't feel like January. I never understood the obsession with cold dry patterns that produce nothing but dry skin and high heating bills.

Perhaps but having such strong highs diving down now could be a positive heading into winter, especially when it comes to overrunning events, which I think most of our snow threats will come from this season. 

This is why it's always a red flag for the OP Euro when there is significant spread between the ensemble mean. The ensemble mean is the best piece of guidance on average day 6-10. 

attachicon.gifMSLP_North32America_144.gif

Absolutely. The best one could say at this time is that a meaningful snowstorm is a low probability scenario on the guidance. When climatology is factored in, one should be especially wary of medium-term outlier solutions, until those solutions have support.

Perhaps but having such strong highs diving down now could be a positive heading into winter, especially when it comes to overrunning events, which I think most of our snow threats will come from this season. 

It could also be a sign that the pattern is going to be progressive and suppressed. That would favor a big winter for the southern Mid-Atlantic and not much up our way.

I, for one, am just happy to be here learning and tracking the possibility of a winter storm this early in the season --- regardless of the odds.  I've learned through the mets and seasoned posters how to look way up stream for the progressiveness of the pattern and what that means on the other side of the country in an instance like this.  Great posting!

Thanks to you all that keep this site about learning for me.  Sure, I want snow --- and it will surely come.  But really, I want to learn and you guys certainly provide more than an ample amount of your time and energy to share your knowledge with folks like me. 

I, for one, am just happy to be here learning and tracking the possibility of a winter storm this early in the season --- regardless of the odds. I've learned through the mets and seasoned posters how to look way up stream for the progressiveness of the pattern and what that means on the other side of the country in an instance like this. Great posting!

Thanks to you all that keep this site about learning for me. Sure, I want snow --- and it will surely come. But really, I want to learn and you guys certainly provide more than an ample amount of your time and energy to share your knowledge with folks like me.

+1

This is why it's always a red flag for the OP Euro when there is significant spread between the ensemble mean. The ensemble mean is the best piece of guidance on average day 6-10. 

attachicon.gifMSLP_North32America_144.gif

As John put it, it's easy to spot a likely bogus storm just given the overall pattern. With no blocking and a fast zonal flow coming from the Pacific and the West, a major storm blowing up near us just isn't likely. With Sandy, it was easy to see how the pattern supported a Perfect Storm-like evolution because of the massive block which showed up consistently on many models and the strong energy diving in from the Midwest to phase into it.

The 12z GEFS mean is now completely dry leading me to believe that any members that were showing a Euro type solution at 6z are now gone. The 6z Ensemble mean had precip fields back to the lakes.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ENSPRS_12z/ensloopmref.html

Yea all misses, Euro needs to hold to buy time for the other models and for me to keep hope lol

I, for one, am just happy to be here learning and tracking the possibility of a winter storm this early in the season --- regardless of the odds.  I've learned through the mets and seasoned posters how to look way up stream for the progressiveness of the pattern and what that means on the other side of the country in an instance like this.  Great posting!

Thanks to you all that keep this site about learning for me.  Sure, I want snow --- and it will surely come.  But really, I want to learn and you guys certainly provide more than an ample amount of your time and energy to share your knowledge with folks like me. 

That's the best attitude to have when you're here. And never post like you know more than the professionals.

That's the best attitude to have when you're here. And never post like you know more than the professionals.

Thanks man.  Enjoy your posts as well.  The cool part (while we wait for the Euro) is that I can use words like trough, ridge, progressive, Norlun, vertically stacked, deformation, climatology, etc. --- in conversation in the real world and know what the heck I'm talking about thanks to this site.

But because I know those terms does not make me one to challenge the very folks who taught them to me.

Good luck on this run snow lovers!

Archived