Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

TWC brought up a good point: 

http://www.weather.com/news/history-repeating-itself-november-1963-2013-thanksgiving-20131120?hootPostID=a3a68f098203706bd027f5c9f6884555

Obviously we wont see a 975 mB LP barreling near NJ, but a weaker version of the 1963 nor'easter may surface, if it gains computer model guidance support for the next 5 days. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impressive to see a piece of the polar vortex break off and drop down into New England this

time of year. The ensembles are showing that this will be greater than a -450 meter anomaly.

We'll have to watch to see how how strong the LLJ gets on Sunday since the models are

hinting at the mixed depth reaching 700 mb. The wind gust potential looks to increase

the further NE you go toward Southern New England.

It's impressive to see a piece of the polar vortex break off and drop down into New England this

time of year. The ensembles are showing that this will be greater than a -450 meter anomaly.

We'll have to watch to see how how strong the LLJ gets on Sunday since the models are

hinting at the mixed depth reaching 700 mb. The wind gust potential looks to increase

the further NE you go toward Southern New England.

attachicon.gifNH_GPA_500mb_084.gif

attachicon.gifsnd.gif

The 12z NAM today shows it having a hard time getting past 30 for a high on Sunday, and likely just as cold for Monday. With strong wind gusts that would just be brutally cold for this time of year. I can't remember it ever being below freezing for 48 straight hours potentially before Thanksgiving.

The 12z NAM today shows it having a hard time getting past 30 for a high on Sunday, and likely just as cold for Monday. With strong wind gusts that would just be brutally cold for this time of year. I can't remember it ever being below freezing for 48 straight hours potentially before Thanksgiving.

I hope not too windy sunday morning. I have a flight to florida at 730am.

if we see temperatures in the teens next week it will be the first time NYC saw temps in the teens since 1987...Before that was in 1976...before that was in 1958 and 1955...I found 21 years that had temps in the teens in November...two years were 1917 and 1933...The winter that followed had temps -13 and -15...the two coldest days on record for NYC...1880 had the longest cold wave for November and it had below zero temps during the winter twice...all three years had -6 or lower at the end of December and early Feb....1976-77 was another very cold winter with teens in November...-2 in January...There are some warm winters that followed cold November days...1929, 1930, 1932, 1936 had mild winters and no temps near zero those years...1987 was the last year to have a temp in the teens and January was very cold that year with a min of five...1955 and 1958 both had cold winters but no zero temps...

the 21 Novembers with a day that had temps in the teens had six mild winters...seven average and eight cold...six of which were very cold...

Archived