bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hour 252 sub 1008mb low just SW of the benchmark. Moderate rain over the region. Heavy rain for New England. Surface freezing line about 150 miles NW of NYC. Big icing concerns for parts of Interior Upstate NY as the surface and 850mb freezing lines are displaced a couple hundred miles.

I think as we move forward and get to the storm before truncation it will continue to look better and better. That is quite the abundance of energy down south. That kicker coming into the southwest could be a killer though.

Hour 252 sub 1008mb low just SW of the benchmark. Moderate rain over the region. Heavy rain for New England. Surface freezing line about 150 miles NW of NYC. Big icing concerns for parts of Interior Upstate NY as the surface and 850mb freezing lines are displaced a couple hundred miles.

I think as we move forward and get to the storm before truncation it will continue to look better and better. That is quite the abundance of energy down south. That kicker coming into the southwest could be a killer though.

It's 240 hours away. :lol:

At this point you're looking for a signal that there could be a storm, not on tracks, P-types, etc.

Surprisingly, we "jackpotted" with the rainfall here yesterday morning with 0.50".  I'll take whatever we can get.  That in combination with the 0.07" over the weekend nearly doubled our rainfall output over the past 8 weeks.

Smithtown now has 2.84" for the S-O-N period as follows:

September - 1.63"

October - 0.19"

November - 1.02"

October was insanely dry.

Strongly disagree, the setup begins to evolve as early as day 5 over the south.

The signal now shows there could be a storm, but small changes in the orientation of the trough, strength of the upper air energy, any blocking, etc, makes a huge difference in where the storm tracks and impacts. Those are impossible to iron out 10 days ahead.

One thing also is that NW areas haven't been nearly as dry and southeast areas.

Which is a good thing for NYC, because at historically average rainfall levels in the Catskill watershed, NYC draws down their drinking water faster than it is replaced.  Nobody talks about this much, but without the increased rainfall averages over the past 30 years drinking water would be a bigger news item in NYC.  If we ever go back to a more historically normal precipitation regime (even without a shorter term drought), it will make headlines.

The signal now shows there could be a storm, but small changes in the orientation of the trough, strength of the upper air energy, any blocking, etc, makes a huge difference in where the storm tracks and impacts. Those are impossible to iron out 10 days ahead.

Nobody is saying that anything is nailed down. Just simply pointing out that the storm signal exists.

Which is a good thing for NYC, because at historically average rainfall levels in the Catskill watershed, NYC draws down their drinking water faster than it is replaced.  Nobody talks about this much, but without the increased rainfall averages over the past 30 years drinking water would be a bigger news item in NYC.  If we ever go back to a more historically normal precipitation regime (even without a shorter term drought), it will make headlines.

One possible mitigating factor is that they have reduced consumption considerably over the past 30 years...possibly enough so to make my comment moot.  I hadn't looked at consumption stats in a long time:

https://nycopendata.socrata.com/Environment/Water-Consumption-In-The-New-York-City/ia2d-e54m

One possible mitigating factor is that they have reduced consumption considerably over the past 30 years...possibly enough so to make my comment moot.  I hadn't looked at consumption stats in a long time:

https://nycopendata.socrata.com/Environment/Water-Consumption-In-The-New-York-City/ia2d-e54m

- higher water bills and bottled water lol

Archived