Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do love seeing all that western ridging with a ton of cold air in Canada. If we do get blocking periods, then we'll see some very cold air likely drop down to our area with a chance at a storm or two. I still would like to see us get more precipitation though, even if it's rain. 

The NAO and AO both look a bit sketchy once they neutralize. We'll have to see if they stay neutral, go up again, or really turn negative. There are more signs that the NAO could be heading in a negative direction as we approach December. I don't see anything right now that favors a coastal system and I'm definitely siding with the cutter solution. 

I do love seeing all that western ridging with a ton of cold air in Canada. If we do get blocking periods, then we'll see some very cold air likely drop down to our area with a chance at a storm or two. I still would like to see us get more precipitation though, even if it's rain. 

The NAO and AO both look a bit sketchy once they neutralize. We'll have to see if they stay neutral, go up again, or really turn negative. There are more signs that the NAO could be heading in a negative direction as we approach December. I don't see anything right now that favors a coastal system and I'm definitely siding with the cutter solution. 

We need any block to set up over Greenland or Baffin Bay. The blocks over Iceland do nothing for us, and aren't close enough to stop a SE Ridge that pumps up in time for any storm.

We need any block to set up over Greenland or Baffin Bay. The blocks over Iceland do nothing for us, and aren't close enough to stop a SE Ridge that pumps up in time for any storm.

I actually don't think this would be a bad pattern if we moved ahead a few weeks. The NAO doesn't have to be ideal and it doesn't even have to be negative for us to get a storm. It looks like a split flow pattern, which could provide plenty of SWFE later on in December and especially Jan and Feb as the cold air presses down over the northern tier.

I still favor more SWFE's over coastal storms this season because I don't believe the blocking will be ideal but I think western ridging is here to stay and I'm leaning toward the -EPO being a mainstay. I think a less extreme 1993-1994 winter is possible with the AO and NAO probably leaning neutral or slightly positive, so we're going to thread the needle a lot. 

Euro ensembles definitely still hint at the Wednesday/Thanksgiving threat...but reminders that it is still 9-10 days out. But as far as ensemble signals for that time period, its pretty good.

They are quite bullish on the cold early next week too. About -14C to the pike...not bad for an ensemble mean a week out. The SWFE preceding that is there on the ensembles as well, but its a pretty decent spread...anything from a St. Lawrence valley cutter to stay to our south.

essential!Geopotential%20at%20500hPa!Nor

There's really nothing here just yet preventing anything from sliding out to sea. Quite to the contrary, there is a kicker in the northern stream and that's why the high slides east of Maine, the storm to the south will probably move e-ne well out to sea well south of us, and the next system to affect us will probably be the northern stream kicker itself followed by yet another shot of cold air (around Dec 1st), colder than the first shot (this weekend). On that note, I'm going to grab some gung ho at Hop Kee with my sum yung gai.

WX/PT

Archived