amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That does not answer my question. I asked when was the last time we had a powerful arctic front sweep in during november with squalls?

I was just addressing your sentence which seemed to view it unusual to get snow before December 1.  I don't know the answer to your question.

I don't recall too many cold Novembers like this especially around Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving always seemed fairly mild for several years now ranging anywhere from the low 60s to near 50F. This pattern definitely has some sting and we're going to see some huge negative departures that will guarantee a below average month, which is a surprise to me.

No way did I believe after those two super warm days to start the month and the warm outlook on the models that this month would end up below normal. That -EPO and the subsequent ridging up toward Alaska has generated true cold, arctic shots for this month that we haven't seen in a long time. This beats the slightly below normal crap in years past after a frontal passage that people use to call cold or arctic air. 

Central Park is -0.3 F DFN and Islip is -0.2 F DFN for the first 22 days of November...so it has been seasonably cold. The last 8 days of the month should average below normal; possibly well below normal, and the month will almost certainly end up at least 1 to 2 degrees below normal.

That does not answer my question. I asked when was the last time we had a powerful arctic front sweep in during november with squalls?

Not too often; maybe every 4 or 5 years or so.

The long range GFS is very interesting. Obv should be taken with a grain of salt but the pattern overall looks about as good as you can ask for the beginning of meteorologic winter. It seems like the west coast ridge/east coast trough stays in place through the 16 days. The nice thing is this has Ensemble support from GEFS as well as the euro. Several storm chances and below to well below normal temps. I think winter gets off to an exciting start. How much snow we actually finish this period off with remains to be seen but I certainly like our chances.

Record low max 2mor looks more likely

Made it to 31 at the park. Ensures we miss tying the record low max, but means we likely get a sub 32 degree day out of it, and the 2nd coldest day ever on Nov 23rd.

It might make 30 by 1159, which would at least tie the record low max.  Don't see a 2 degree drop possible though, so it won't break it.

With the midnight temperature at 31° and both the MET and MAV MOS forecasting a high of 31°, NYC has a chance to have its first November day with a subfreezing maximum temperature since November 28, 1996. Both sets of MOS forecast a low temperature of 22° for November 25.

Some NYC data:

Don, how to do cold Novembers usually fare for snow for NYC analog-wise?

Archived